• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Glad your getting on okay  bet you will be chafing at the bit to see the layout.

Yes, but swmbo might impose an embargo for a couple of days, but I do need to do a bit of online modelling shopping which will fill in some of the time.

28 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Returning to light duties, I photographed some goods movements. Goods must have been a nightmare to deal with at the real Buxton Midland station. There was no head-shunt and the yard was always full of traffic. Here's how I deal with incoming limestone empties from being sorted at Rowsley and destined for the quarries on the former LNWR line to Ashbourne via the Cromford & High Peak.

Luckily the carriage siding is available otherwise one of platforms 2&3 would be used. The 4F brings in it's raft of empties. Pilot 3FT is waiting in platform 3.

DSCF8178.JPG.dd955d851aadb76c92db38e863f05637.JPG

The 4F uncouples.

DSCF8179.JPG.af35fd3c58ed6bf1b349f38053c5c980.JPG

The 3FT gets the board to proceed wrong line out of the platform in order to back onto the empties.

1544236904_DSCF8180(2).JPG.67dce1c9f09cbfa0b0dd86fc825b8b28.JPG

Then reverses onto the incoming train.

678308546_DSCF8181(2).JPG.467dfceab0c4a2693e4815380b09fcf2.JPG

And then gets the ground doll to proceed right line to the goods yard entrance.

515699951_DSCF8182(2).JPG.c784c7d9fcd444a44fe271a507eaff87.JPG

Once its train has has drawn clear the 4F enters the shed area for servicing before more duties.

113287453_DSCF8183(2).JPG.82ec9c1c5e3ce83b89ae71ab619d7a61.JPG

The Jinty has now reversed the empties into a vacant siding and detaches the guards van to park it elsewhere. After the wagons leave there will be much toing and froing of them to get them onto the High Peak section.

1929376609_DSCF8184(2).JPG.be2cfd8f4870769c9742f78607665a20.JPG

Excellent photos - great to see you back!

Mark

• Thanks 1

Jonathan,

A great set of photos. Thanks for sharing. 

I often wondered how the Midland yard at Buxton would be shunted. I suspect that any through traffic to or from the quarries at Hindlow or Briggs Sidings would have run direct via the High Sidings opposite the LNWR shed and then trip worked straight onto the Ashbourne line. Any local coal or general merchandise could have worked direct and have been subject to the sort of moves you've accurately portrayed here. 

These sort of shunting puzzles are fascinating - I'm having similar bouts of head scratching over the yard layout at Friden. Careful analysis of photos is beginning to have benefits!

Regards,

Geraint

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Middlepeak said:

Jonathan,

A great set of photos. Thanks for sharing. 

I often wondered how the Midland yard at Buxton would be shunted. I suspect that any through traffic to or from the quarries at Hindlow or Briggs Sidings would have run direct via the High Sidings opposite the LNWR shed and then trip worked straight onto the Ashbourne line. Any local coal or general merchandise could have worked direct and have been subject to the sort of moves you've accurately portrayed here. 

These sort of shunting puzzles are fascinating - I'm having similar bouts of head scratching over the yard layout at Friden. Careful analysis of photos is beginning to have benefits!

Regards,

Geraint

You're quite right of course, Geraint. This traffic would never have entered the Midland station area and would have been dealt with over on the LNWR side, but I think it's how entering goods traffic would have been dealt with unless anybody know differently? As I had a rake of limestone wagons made up with Dingham couplings, I just used it as an example. My next puzzle is how to get a rake of full coal wagons down into the shed area where the coal merchants are located when the head-shunt only holds a loco and 3/4 wagons.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Good to hear your news Jonathan, and a nice slidey thing as well... :D

Al

Thanks, Al. It's not a great feat of engineering or woodworking skills but it works in that it's easy to put it in place and remove and the trains go over it without fall off :D.

• Like 2

Good news on the health front, that period of not knowing can be pretty debilitating.

I like the keep it simple method of accessing the layout too. There were quite a number of interesting bridges on the way in to Buxton, I nearly crashed into one of them! :scratchhead:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

My consultant surgeon phoned late afternoon on Friday with the histology results from samples taken during my recent bowel op and all was negative for signs of cancer

Glad to hear it :)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Good news on the health front, that period of not knowing can be pretty debilitating.

I like the keep it simple method of accessing the layout too. There were quite a number of interesting bridges on the way in to Buxton, I nearly crashed into one of them! :scratchhead:

Yeah those bends are quite deceptive, the roadside walls along Ashwood Dale have been rebuilt more than any other, I bet.

Very common to find a car in the river, along there.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Yeah those bends are quite deceptive, the roadside walls along Ashwood Dale have been rebuilt more than any other, I bet.

Very common to find a car in the river, along there.

Al.

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I thought he might have been coming south down the A6 from the Manchester direction?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've slightly adapted the Scalescenes' plate girder bridge to go in the slide-out section. The deck is as per instructions but the abutment walls are 2 pieces of 3mm foam board and the buttresses are nominally 10mm square strip wood. It needs gluing in place before the wing walls can be added together with finishing off bits. The track-bed too deep really but making it shallower would have been a pain at this stage.

DSCF8201.JPG.ee66ea1e03c19137f45e4fcec4f43a56.JPG

DSCF8202.JPG.c1f09d390e837ffbd2fdd70b387dc185.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I've slightly adapted the Scalescenes' plate girder bridge to go in the slide-out section. The deck is as per instructions but the abutment walls are 2 pieces of 3mm foam board and the buttresses are nominally 10mm square strip wood. It needs gluing in place before the wing walls can be added together with finishing off bits. The track-bed too deep really but making it shallower would have been a pain at this stage.

Pleased you’re back in business.

It’s nice to see a scalescenes girder bridge made up - I’m thinking of using one and this is an encouraging photo.

Thanks, Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Pleased you’re back in business.

It’s nice to see a scalescenes girder bridge made up - I’m thinking of using one and this is an encouraging photo.

Thanks, Paul.

Thanks, Paul. Wherever possible when the model calls for several layers of 2mm card thickness I use foam board as you don't need as many layers, it's easier to cut than grey board and does blunt the knife edge. I also use strip wood and balsa for things like buttresses and chimneys because you can get nice crisp edges.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I started the righthand embankment this afternoon. I use vinyl grass mat over ply and foam formers which is shaped with a heat gun. A base layer of mixed flock has been glued on top. Next will be static grass of which I have run out. Order gone in.

DSCF8209.JPG.87f91d2259bc2966c852b5edf077775b.JPG

DSCF8210.JPG.b060258e4bb5bc9abd403b91e2056c7d.JPG

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Looks very good Jonathan.

If I might make a suggestion, in the second photo the left-hand end, the embankment looks a bit steep, almost vertical. I would have expected the land contours to follow the line of the top of the wing wall parapet, perhaps?

Al

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Looks very good Jonathan.

If I might make a suggestion, in the second photo the left-hand end, the embankment looks a bit steep, almost vertical. I would have expected the land contours to follow the line of the top of the wing wall parapet, perhaps?

Al

Quite agree, Al. After I have static grassed the banks I have a cunning plan to disguise that bit with some strategically placed vegetation, something like this. 

DSCF8211.JPG.955d63756422e9fbd9b505769825d1a7.JPG

DSCF8212.JPG.43db431efcfb7e6fa0c315a4cc4ae3b0.JPG

Of course this is just plonked on for the moment as I'm expecting grass supplies in the next couple of days. What's more of a worry is that at the left-hand end Station Road comes to an abrupt halt in mid air above the embankment. There's not enough room to continue it on a slope to the road under the bridge as it would be far too steep. I was thinking about making it a dead end with a flight of steps to the lower level.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

With static grass on order, my attention turned to the road under the bridge. I have gone for setts for the road way with flagged pavements on either side. I have used two slightly different sett sheets from  https://www.3dk.ca/. One for the main part of the road and the other for the road edge. No connection just a satisfied customer.

DSCF8213.JPG.d558c2903058061f0d91df1a1f3cb30b.JPG

DSCF8214.JPG.b99b3bbbe148f15249f7bb71614ce4c6.JPG

This shows even more of the problem area where Station Road hangs in mid air just before the bridge. I'm planning on a flight of steps.

DSCF8215.JPG.867fe1fb7f97871df5253b2eed2909d6.JPG

• Like 15