• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You do realise that once you start, it's harder to give up making sheds than giving up smoking.

But I am liking it a lot!

I've never smoked so I don't know how hard it is ! :D But I guess it's pretty hard.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You do realise that once you start, it's harder to give up making sheds than giving up smoking.

But I am liking it a lot!

1 minute ago, Rowsley17D said:

I've never smoked so I don't know how hard it is ! :D But I guess it's pretty hard.

I managed to give up sheds, (although I still have to have one very occasionally.)

I still smoke... :drag:

Al.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Alister_G said:

I managed to give up sheds, (although I still have to have one very occasionally.)

I still smoke... :drag:

Al.

A social shed-builder, eh?

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Rowsley17D said:

A social shed-builder, eh?

Yep :D

You think you've kicked the habit, and then someone goes and posts a nice looking shed, and you just have to do one... :D

Al.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Yep :D

You think you've kicked the habit, and then someone goes and posts a nice looking shed, and you just have to do one... :D

Al.

I have two or three more to make so I'll try and space out the builds. I wouldn't want to encourage bad habits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to @MrWolf unintentionally directing my attention to the Elwood build thread, I’m now fully aware how overscale the Wills product is. May I ask which bases, cranks, etc. from the Modelu range you used @Rowsley17D?

(I’m not sure if I ‘liked’ your posts showing the installation of your point rodding, so I’ll just say now that your whole build looks incredibly realistic and only the fact your photos are in colour prevents me from thinking you haven’t just posted a load of prototype photos)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Thanks to @MrWolf unintentionally directing my attention to the Elwood build thread, I’m now fully aware how overscale the Wills product is. May I ask which bases, cranks, etc. from the Modelu range you used @Rowsley17D?

(I’m not sure if I ‘liked’ your posts showing the installation of your point rodding, so I’ll just say now that your whole build looks incredibly realistic and only the fact your photos are in colour prevents me from thinking you haven’t just posted a load of prototype photos)

Being a Midland Railway installation I used ModelU MR stools - 1, 2 and 3 rollers. For the cranks and compensators I used their GWR range. The rodding is Slaters' 20thou white rodding coloured with a graphite stick and a bit of paint where it missed.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Rowsley17D.

I’ve been looking at the Modelu range and seen they also do LNWR stools and BR cranks and compensators. I need to double check with my other reference material, but a quick look at the JW Sutherland photos on the ‘net seems to suggest that’s what I use.

As anything below the base of the stools seems completely buried in ballast, it looks like I can get away with using plastic strip or rod to get the stools the right level rather than needing the crank frames or concrete blocks.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Tortuga said:

As anything below the base of the stools seems completely buried in ballast, it looks like I can get away with using plastic strip or rod to get the stools the right level rather than needing the crank frames or concrete blocks.

That's exactly what I used.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another shed built, this time with horizontal boarding with a corrugated roof left over from a Ratio carriage shed in primer.

DSCF8299.JPG.7314b26934df43197400b18c73635115.JPG

DSCF8298.JPG.bf9b5a9a80db411967816905546a151b.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
Duplicate photo
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

4 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

and a sign

Fine modelling but haven't I read elsewhere here that shop, office and advertising signs were always block capitals until lower case started appearing in the late 1950s...?

Edited by MR Chuffer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

Fine modelling but haven't I read elsewhere here that shop, office and advertising signs were always block capitals until lower case started appearing in the late 1950s...?

Looking at Google Images you could well be right. Good job I saved the files.

On 30/06/2021 at 15:31, Graham T said:

Very nice, and I like how fine that corrugated iron looks.  Did you say that it was from Ratio?

Surplus from a modified Ratio carriage shed. The only downside of this plan is that the kit is going up for £30.

I use Wills corrugated glazing  - corrugated iron type. It's much thinner than the regular Wills'corrugated iron, but is far more convincing IMHO than the vacuum formed types.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Signs now capitalised.

DSCF8304.JPG.292d3cca339c0b3bb0bcf05f8345b2d9.JPG

DSCF8306.JPG.8e5b7d31d9ceecd4c86ef6d565dfc2b1.JPG

I've added the company buildings to see what the row will look like with more coal merchants' huts.

DSCF8305.JPG.29afaefcc1325b906a3a5a5f648f8387.JPG

25 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Very nice, and I like how fine that corrugated iron looks.  Did you say that it was from Ratio?

The corrugated sheets were left over from the Ratio Carriage shed kit although I think you can just get the sheets.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 30/06/2021 at 17:40, Alister_G said:

Very nice indeed Jonathan.

Al.

must not do a shed... must not do a shed... must not do a shed... must not do a shed...

I think that you should do a shed. More specifically, a corrugated iron shed that has seen a good few winters....:devil: