• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

Very nice Jonathan. I'm looking forward to seeing the Kirtley well tank up and running as it's one of my favourite Midland engines.

Regards Lez.  

Thanks, Lez. As I said, I'm waiting for High Level to open up again which I believe will be next week. I ordered some time ago so I hope I'm well up the backlog queue. I don't know about using the Markits' outside cranks as they might foul the platforms. I might take a file to them, I have to see.

• RMweb Gold

The 2P tank was completed save for lining this afternoon. A Webb Coal Tank sound decoder was hardwired in with a cube speaker in the bunker. The decoder and stay alive were put in the tank spaces.

DSCF8385.JPG.6b2f3e941b8481685ca2fa8301e20f5e.JPG

The real 6406 went to Buxton in BR times as 41406 with sister 41605 for the Millers Dale run.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Regularity said:

Would a 3F tank loco not be a closer sound?

I did think about a 3F and a Jinty but I have two 3Fs and a Jinty with sounds already. The Coal Tank just seemed to have the right amount of "chuff" when compared with Youchoos' 1P but not as much as the 3Fs. I'm happy with it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Next to join my 0-4-4 tank line-up is the sister to 1421 - 1420. Both were at Buxton before and after their Belpaire fireboxes were fitted. 1420 is motor fitted whereas 1421 isn't as yet.

DSCF8389.JPG.7669e648c942eff86c4467a3a15b7f87.JPG

DSCF8391.JPG.e9754150ce4d704813d2209b0e4d0cfc.JPG

DSCF8390.JPG.f2e681f268c10c8c801cd30c7e06b632.JPG

I am now on with building the round top box version.

• Like 15

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks, Derek. I consider that as high praise coming from you with your wonderful Kirkby Malham layout which is the epitome of Midland Railway atmosphere in model form.

For the benefit of those who don't want to trawl through the thread, the girders, columns, windows and doors are from Yorkmodelmaking. The building is an extended version of Bakewell in Scalescenes' textures. The loco was a non-running Craftsmen kit bought reasonably on Ebay, coaches by Hornby. The furthest being converted to a motor driving trailer with ex-Comet parts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

At a recent Expo Bowland open day I got an Anbrico kit of a Dennis 2 Ton Platform Lorry from the bring and buy stall for charity. The cab was glued with EvoStik so that I could get the cab side angles right. Some has been soldered and where I couldn't get an iron in I super glued. The cab is in primer as I wanted to paint the interior first. The cab roof will go on once the windows have been glazed. It needs some filler before a final paint.

DSCF8444.JPG.15a9786cc74663296df71163f2f6b04e.JPG

DSCF8445.JPG.b0bb33af1e3728fddfd64cb0294fa07c.JPG

• Like 15

I can't remember the last time I saw one of those Dennis "Flying Pig" kits.

There seems to be a shortage of 30s small trucks available. I remember them doing a GWR flying banana kit too, which got great reviews in the press. Never seen one though. I suppose Anbrico have gone the way of so many other makers?

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I can't remember the last time I saw one of those Dennis "Flying Pig" kits.

There seems to be a shortage of 30s small trucks available. I remember them doing a GWR flying banana kit too, which got great reviews in the press. Never seen one though. I suppose Anbrico have gone the way of so many other makers?

Gone but not forgotten. There's a tribute on the old Anbrico site at

http://www.anbrico.org/index.htm

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Stationmaster at Derwent is very pleased with the latest arrival in the goods yard.

DSCF8446.JPG.5d3376a1d276c369da4bb1a2e9d71f14.JPG

DSCF8449.JPG.45f94b75c6a520be0147a50e6b1e10e9.JPG

The lorry is still to have glazing fitted, some touching up of paintwork and a coat of matt varnish.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I really like that, most lorries available in this scale seem to date from the 20s or the 50s to date. There doesn't seem to be much available for the 30s.

This website looks interesting. Not tried ordering anything yet though.

http://www.johndaymodels.co.uk/

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

While I had the paints out to do the Dennis lorry, I started experimenting weathering the underframe of one of my Hornby coaches. It was painted Railmatch Frame Dirt (L402) to which several drops of matting agent were added. When dry, Humbrol Dark Earth Weathering Powder was brushed over the top, then brushed off with a clean brush.

The result.

DSCF8457.JPG.dc80f6d32fe47af4b172c9fd81647f8c.JPG

Compared with an untouched Larry Goddard coach (a present to myself for a significant birthday a few years ago, so you know I'm not made of money!)

DSCF8458.JPG.2e52fc7a76c8a37cb2aee9452b393065.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

While I had the paints out to do the Dennis lorry, I started experimenting weathering the underframe of one of my Hornby coaches. It was painted Railmatch Frame Dirt (L402) to which several drops of matting agent were added. When dry, Humbrol Dark Earth Weathering Powder was brushed over the top, then brushed off with a clean brush.

The result.

DSCF8457.JPG.dc80f6d32fe47af4b172c9fd81647f8c.JPG

Compared with an untouched Larry Goddard coach (a present to myself for a significant birthday a few years ago, so you know I'm not made of money!)

DSCF8458.JPG.2e52fc7a76c8a37cb2aee9452b393065.JPG

Good to see so many posts here recently, Jonathan. 

I think the weathering job you've done on that coach looks very natural. Perhaps just a hint of dirt on the roof to finish it off? I find a touch of weathering powder around the ventilators tends to do the trick. 

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Mark. I wanted to see how the underframe would turn out before tackling the roof. That's the next job, sometime. To finish off a modelling day I built a GWR 04 wagon from a pair of Cooper Craft kits I won on eBay at a very reasonable price. I hope the range can be brought back to life as the mouldings are/were excellent. This will be my foreigner in a mixed goods rake. It went together very well once the plastic wheels were ditched.

DSCF8459.JPG.e56dc80748b9a388821caf827eea20bb.JPG

DSCF8460.JPG.d3945bd1b237d8faa054368ef5ccea2d.JPG

Must get round to painting those rail sides and I forgot the door bangers!

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 11

Nice job there, it must be build a wagon week! I've got a few of those old Coopercraft wagons to build and would echo your comments about bringing the range back to life. They were the first wagon kits I ever built after cutting my teeth on the venerable Airfix mineral wagons and they were in a different league. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Would those who are more knowledgeable than I say whether the grey I have painted my GWR wagon is anywhere near correct? I opened my ancient tin of Precision GWR Goods Grey and found it had dried up. However, it appeared to be very close to Railmatch Roof Dirt, so in for a penny... The ironwork is weathered blackDSCF8461.JPG.02c94d1d933f14e0797722d746895f72.JPG

DSCF8462.JPG.b58deb5612871fcdb793c1d114b3d8eb.JPG

• Like 7

I think the GWR wagon looks OK. I once painted a GWR wagon in BR Railfreight Grey, but I would never admit it on a website such as this. It just about looked OK once it was lettered and weathered. 

Cheers

Chris

• Thanks 1