• RMweb Gold

Have moved into a new abode, well, for days off and short holidays until I retire from parish life, a new layout has had to be planned. It had to be LMS 1930s and as I hadn't the 25' of room length I had in the former home's loft, something more cramped was needed. The longest side is 210" approx. and the short 165" approx. I loaded up a 1922 version of the OS 25" series of Buxton into Templot (thank goodness for Martin)and was surprised it fit into the long side of the new railway room (an upstairs bedroom.)

Some rearrangement of the room will be required like knocking down a partition wall, removing a door and some cupboards.

Edited by Rowsley17D
Update title
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy and Lez, I hope my metal claw hammer will do. All the buildings from Derwent 1 are available and certainly the goods shed, coal offices, goods office and loco shed will be reused. I doubt at the moment whether Buxton station buildings will be built as photos of the elevations are few, so it may be a generic Midland concoction, although I like to have a go at the famous gable end of the overall roof.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

..also there was a plan in an issue of MRJ way back as a plan of the month sort of thing. Don't remember which issue and sadly I no longer have it which always frustrated me as I too have fancied a go at the midland side of Buxton and this plan was compressed enough to fit a reasonable space.

Regards Lez.Z.    

• RMweb Gold

..also there was a plan in an issue of MRJ way back as a plan of the month sort of thing. Don't remember which issue and sadly I no longer have it which always frustrated me as I too have fancied a go at the midland side of Buxton and this plan was compressed enough to fit a reasonable space.

Regards Lez.Z.    

Hi Lez

Yes I have the MRJ with Buxton in it, even more compressed than the real thing! The MRJ had an article about the Brassmasters Black 5 which is why I bought the back copy. I don't want my layout to be a copy of Buxton, so I'm not too bothered about the station buildings and my use of previously built model buildings from my former layout. Why I chose Buxton was for its compact, cramped layout which happens to fit the space I have available.

• RMweb Gold

Some photos before building commences.

Here is the cupboard on the landing that will go and the site of the platform buffer ends. The door and the partition wall to its left will also go.

post-16241-0-59845200-1517838054_thumb.jpg

Next into the actual bedroom and more cupboards which will go.

post-16241-0-24390700-1517838101_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-87094400-1517838114_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-53253900-1517838126_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-07706300-1517838236_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Johnathan.

Would you be so kind as to send me a copy of the buxton plan or the number of the MRJ so I can get a back copy. I haven't quite decided on the termus for my layout and I'm sure it will fit in my space.

Regards Lez.Z.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Johnathan.

Would you be so kind as to send me a copy of the buxton plan or the number of the MRJ so I can get a back copy. I haven't quite decided on the termus for my layout and I'm sure it will fit in my space.

Regards Lez.Z.

PM sent.

• RMweb Gold

Here is a screenshot of the 1922 OS map with Templot track plan superimposed upon it. To make the width a reachable one, the top goods yard siding and the twin coal yard sidings will be omitted.

post-16241-0-50988100-1517854835_thumb.png

Here's how it fits when the room is altered.

post-16241-0-41077300-1517854898_thumb.png

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan.

I've been spelling your name wrong I apologise for that. Thank you very much for that info a copy is on it's way to me even as I type so no need to send a photocopy.

With kind regards Lez.

• RMweb Gold

What was the MRJ issue with the Buxton plan?

Looking forward to seeing this develop

The MRJ had a plan of Buxton in No 65 of 1993, but left the coal yard out and shortened the platform lengths.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

After lunch we got away to our new home home and I went to work on removing the built-in cupboards in the railway room. After a hoover round, this is how far I had got by teatime.

post-16241-0-35737400-1518369913_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-03595700-1518369938_thumb.jpg

post-16241-0-21030200-1518369959_thumb.jpg

On removing some of the stud wall by the door. I discovered a 9x4 wooden supporting post to the roof purlin so the railway plan will have to be rotated to take it into account.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I trust you will save the timber that can be rused ,some of that looked reasonable.

Yes, indeed. The doors are 9mm? block-board and may be used as the fiddle-yard base. There's also so good ply for the track-bed and softwood for risers etc.

Because of the post supporting the purlin, I will have to rotate the plan to avoid it.

post-16241-0-54392100-1518381248_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with the above plan is that the fiddle yard would be the duck-under section to get to the operating area of the layout. So I had a go at rotating the plan.

post-16241-0-47310800-1518623796_thumb.png

This gave much more room for the fiddle yard and an extra loco storage area. The fiddle yard will probably end with a hand-turned loco turntable.

Somebody (Ian?) said pity there was no room for the LNWR, but with this plan there's room for part of the Ashbourne branch where it crosses the Midland and ends in it's own fiddle yard area.

post-16241-0-42815200-1518626710_thumb.png

The Midland fiddle yard can be approached on a slight up gradient so making the LNWR approach over the bridge on a slight rise too. The purlin support post becomes the site of the Ashwood Dale tunnel.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Managed to do a bit more knocking about over a couple of days at the new home.

The landing cupboard knocked into the bedroom. The pesky purlin support is to the right-hand side of the hole.

post-16241-0-66767700-1518887694_thumb.jpg

I'm going to get a carpenter to quote for a new door way and partition on top of the half wall in the above photo, so railway room mess doesn't get on to the landing area.

post-16241-0-42825500-1518888144_thumb.jpg

The new door will go in next to the half wall in the middle distance.

post-16241-0-89629800-1518887786_thumb.jpg

From the bedroom side

post-16241-0-53365700-1518887807_thumb.jpg

Some stuff went to the tip after this was taken. The good stuff will be reused.

post-16241-0-96058300-1518887841_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Another play with Templot to put the loco storage sidings with the main fiddle yard. The room plan has been rotated 180 deg as I like stations to be at the top of any plans. The two sidings to the right are for the LNWR trains which will be a two coach train to serve Ashbourne/Uttoxeter and a short goods off the High Peak branch although in reality these would have gone straight to the sidings alongside Buxton's LNWR loco shed. The Millers Dale train will be stored with the LNWR trains in the right of the main fiddle yard. The rest are for the Midland side. Most of the storage lines will end at a turntable probably an unmotorised Peco one.

post-16241-0-72259900-1518969615_thumb.png

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rowsley,

In the early '30s a 3 coach ex LNWR set was still in use on the Ashborne branch, I can't recall if they where 42' or 50' (or even 45' cascaded from the Buxton sets).

There are photos in the books on the branch. I'll take a look later.

• RMweb Gold

Just out of interest- the goods sidings are massive but the headshunt for them appears tiny- is that how they managed them- pulling wagons out in two or threes and then assembling into trains?

Hi

That's right, if you look at the Templot plan on top of the OS 25" Map in Post 11 you will see I have copied the real layout of Buxton. It was hemmed in by the LNWR to the top and right and by the town to the left and bottom. It was a nightmare to shunt and the station was signalled to allow the up line to be used as a head-shunt. The bay was usually full of trucks too. All this adds to the operational interest of the plan.

Edited by Rowsley17D