• RMweb Gold

Next up was a 12 ton Van with Steel Ends to D1663 from Cambrian which only needed weighting and the roof gluing on. It's been painted and awaits the sign-writer. I left my stock book at our own home so I'll leave the number off as you can bet I will number it the same as one I already have.

DSCF7222.JPG.e2c915ec878248e7e4594aac29d9df34.JPG

DSCF7223.JPG.b10e517a249f2dc02a590590e3bfcea3.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Another wagon finished that must have been started over 5 years ago. This is a MR 8T high-sided open wagon to D299. It's a Slaters' kit but packaged as from Cooper Craft (remember them?) The three links are nice and shiny as I don't have any blackening stuff with me.

DSCF7224.JPG.ca6bd7d912e6671a40fd3548f759dc9c.JPG

DSCF7225.JPG.deb2108cd401cc92ef74cd25b1fc9b5f.JPG

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I started an LMS large cattle wagon D1661 not long after Dundas Parkside brought them out and it's been waiting to be finished ever since.

DSCF7227.JPG.8d8e8eb1c4ed922f0d10796d3bdd9b84.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

The next offerings were started over 6 years ago. I wanted some Beswick's Lime Works' wagons. The photo I had showed a 4-plank wagon. The only 4-plank kit I could find at the time was from Cooper Craft with their GWR 05 4-plank kit. So I bought 4. I quickly made one up and I produced my own decals which are too big really but as the wagon is undoubtedly not right either, I wasn't too bothered. I started to build 2 more and work stopped until now. I'm not going to make the 4th as I no longer need 4 Beswick's wagons due to a lack of space. The kit for sale now in the Classified Section but if it doesn't sell I may build the GWR intended version.

DSCF7228.JPG.f17638595a18aa0f8fbc642c9a84c5aa.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
grammar
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Lez. I assume these are limestone wagons for dispatch to steel works rather than coal so I expect they would have been covered in lime dust in short order. Dapol have since produced a limited edition version for a loco restoration project but it looks like they are still using the incorrect stretched wheel base. Happy to be corrected though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The next up is another started over 6 years ago. A Slaters' 7-Plank which could have made its way to the Peak District. The decals are by Model Master and I've weathered it somewhat.

DSCF7233.JPG.761c6971b0832f2a3960770185c84a5f.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Another PO wagon completed. This time a Parkside Dundas  8-plank with Model Master decals. The red oxide I used had a gloss finish on which it is ideal to put waterside decals. If the paint gives a matt finish I coat with clear gloss. A clear matt goes on after the decals are dry and the carrier film virtually disappears. 

DSCF7248.JPG.8f5b6f3262ecd450a85c55dd03b93115.JPG

DSCF7247.JPG.514092ff6269ecc172d6b3a48f3ca660.JPG

A bit more workaday.

DSCF7249.JPG.74ffa5325c830c4355322ca50ea53ec0.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
grammar
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

A wagon built from scratch this time. A Cambrian LMS General Merchandise Wagon to D1666 a cousin of the D1667. The 1666 had a wooden underframe whereas the 1667 has a steel one. Here are the two sisters together after weathering, the latest on the left.

DSCF7250.JPG.8fb0802f7145b01a59625880557bffbe.JPG

So far I have repaired, finished off or built from scratch 15 vehicles.

DSCF7251.JPG.1da56a17b70f691fe6b613bb3e2bf164.JPG

Makes quite a decent train.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Lot's of model shops are still doing mail order Jonathan. I've read, somewhere on here, that Heriford models has substantial stocks of hard to find kits etc. Most of the usual suspects are offering mail order too. 

Chin up old chap! This too shall pass. I'm so busy right now I barely know what day it is and I'm almost totally retired. Before this started I was down to 2 evening shifts of 3 hrs each in the pharmacy. Now all the hours have changed and we aren't even keeping count of how many we do and we aren't taking any extra money for it either, we work till the work is done. My wife is a manager in the local surgery and she's doing 50-60 hour weeks and has been for over 6 weeks now. I haven't even got time for my bipolar to kick in. Both of us are in the higher risk category but we figure that as we are using our PPE we are both safer where we work as we both have just about zero contact with patients and the patients we do come anywhere near to have been vetted and are not symptomatic. In fact I'm off to work in half an hour. Keep up the good work mate some of us don't have extra modeling time right now and you guys beavering away is keeping us going in our down time.      

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

19 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Lot's of model shops are still doing mail order Jonathan. I've read, somewhere on here, that Heriford models has substantial stocks of hard to find kits etc. Most of the usual suspects are offering mail order too. 

Chin up old chap! This too shall pass. I'm so busy right now I barely know what day it is and I'm almost totally retired. Before this started I was down to 2 evening shifts of 3 hrs each in the pharmacy. Now all the hours have changed and we aren't even keeping count of how many we do and we aren't taking any extra money for it either, we work till the work is done. My wife is a manager in the local surgery and she's doing 50-60 hour weeks and has been for over 6 weeks now. I haven't even got time for my bipolar to kick in. Both of us are in the higher risk category but we figure that as we are using our PPE we are both safer where we work as we both have just about zero contact with patients and the patients we do come anywhere near to have been vetted and are not symptomatic. In fact I'm off to work in half an hour. Keep up the good work mate some of us don't have extra modeling time right now and you guys beavering away is keeping us going in our down time.      

Regards Lez.

Hi Lez, keep up the good work and, as you say, it will come to an end one day. There will be a new normal when I hope we value more the people and things that are most important to us and society in general and a little less focus on celebrity, ephemera and the monetary reward that has gone with it.

I don't really want more stock as I have no where to put it, in fact I was going to offer for sale several surplus items before the lockdown marooned them in our own home. Anybody want some LMS CCTs? The stuff I need to build, station building and canopies, has all the materials there too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They say never model a model. Well the next up is an LMS grey version of a Slaters' LMS Loco Coal Wagon to D2038 which they have pictured in the LMS bauxite livery. It appears to be a RCH 1923 7-Plank wagon.

DSCF7252.JPG.bdef7844e7c266da405917891f0e03fb.JPG

DSCF7253.JPG.776c88b633e8560e4bda925a3f77cc27.JPG

I only have enough kit bits for either a 7 0r 5 plank RCH 1907 wagon. I'll have to see what transfers are available.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The final stashed kit was finished today, another D1661 Cattle Wagon. It's got no couplings as I have run out. The number may also be wrong for an unfitted wagon as I don't have my books with me. That's 17 goods wagons completed or repaired all during lockdown. More opens are on their way so I can use up all the Model Master and POW waterslide decals I have in stock.

DSCF7256.JPG.a8bb426ab0840337ca4b6a061fb68d45.JPG

DSCF7255.JPG.992c8a69da81615696dc492b8f7a64a8.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

While waiting for the kits to arrive, I decided to have a go at weathering a wagon. I have Humbrol powders in black, brown and rust. The beauty with these is they more or less wash off if you don't like the effect.

The loco coal wagon I built.

DSCF7258.JPG.76d99dc706fafef4ac5940a06fcf7fc1.JPG

Using a small brush size 00 I worked black into the plank joins, then a brush over. Brown was brushed over the wooded underframe and rust lightly brushed on to the running gear. The lettering was gone over with a clean wet brush as in photos it seems to stand out even on a dirty wagon.

DSCF7260.JPG.c5eff6d9957ce7a4629902ad7ba5c770.JPG

DSCF7261.JPG.4f0fd4e54920219f53190950e5bf062f.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
Duplicate photo
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Is that your first go at weathering Jonathan?

Not too bad mate. 

Regards Lez.

Hi Lez, no my third. I've weathered the two "PO" wagons a bit further back. The wagons do look better in what I suppose is everyday condition.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Nicely done Jonathan, I’m still not brave enough to weather locos and rolling stock yet

As I said, Chris the beauty of the Humbrol powders is that they can be washed off more or less. The photo shows the same loco coal wagon after being washed with a drop of Fairy (other dish-washing liquids available) warm water and a soft brush.

DSCF7263.JPG.93f0b56c817b86c1ba59a669aec6021d.JPG

Practise on an old wagon that you don't care about first.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

As I said, Chris the beauty of the Humbrol powders is that they can be washed off more or less. The photo shows the same loco coal wagon after being washed with a drop of Fairy (other dish-washing liquids available) warm water and a soft brush.

DSCF7263.JPG.93f0b56c817b86c1ba59a669aec6021d.JPG

Practise on an old wagon that you don't care about first.

I do use Humbrol powders for weathering everything else just not rolling stock but I’ve got an old wagon somewhere so I’ll give it a try at some point

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very well done mate.

Weathering is something I love doing. I've been doing it since the 70's and a lot of it on military stuff. 

The first thing about painting rolling stock and indeed buildings is never use black neat. I paint everything black with a 50/50 black/dark earth mix. I also prime steel wagons with bauxite and wooden ones light grey.

I recommend Martin Welch's book on weathering and Rice has some great tips in his books on structure building. 

I would also say that you don't NEED an airbrush to achieve good results. An airbrush is a great tool and has many uses when it comes to weathering but it is not essential.

DO NOT use high quality brushes for weathering you will be doing things to them that they aren't meant for and be throwing money down the drain. The cheap low quality ones from pound shops that come on a big card of different brushes are just fine for what your going to do to them.

Be brave with it and above all enjoy it.

Practice on something that don't matter if you ruin it and remember everything you put on you can wash off.

Don't be afraid to experiment with different media as they all complement each other. Indeed it's difficult to get realism using one media alone.

I would urge you to master the technique of "dry brushing" as soon as you can if you don't already know how. You will find it invaluable.

Check out military modeling techniques on youtube those guys are getting outstanding results and the products and methods translate to model railways very easily.

Above all use photos for reference. 

Lastly above all else the more you practice the better you will become.

As you can see it's something I'm quite passionate about. 

Regards Lez.    

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been weathering for years and most stock on my layouts is, or will be weathered. I say layouts because modelling in N I have a few which means I can run LMS stock through to BR Blue but really LMS was my first love with their Crimson Lake and Black 5’s

These are 2 wagons I finished (I think) yesterday. 

E6ED85BB-B7C7-43F9-B19E-9C3997868D1E.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A new supply of Cambrian kits has arrived to complete the wagons I need for the moment. First up is a 5-Plank Gloucester 1923 RCH.

These kits are beginning to show their age as there are depressions in some of the parts, especially the sides - see below the top end of the diagonal strapping.

DSCF7268.JPG.a91ab7b75a4f059ab4d8413b3ca2f941.JPG

The floor isn't wide enough either.

DSCF7271.JPG.e4070f6500a395163b00543b0b7ce1cf.JPG

A couple of pieces of microstrip fill the gaps.

DSCF7272.JPG.cd6b25ca3aecbdb5d9027372857b63b2.JPG

Ready for the paint shop.

DSCF7273.JPG.6f4de036bced633ae0f6bcab705f93f9.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
typos
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Any chance you can fill that dimple Jonathan?  It's disappointing when you open up a kit and find things like that. I like your floor fix and it's gone together OK by the time you paint and weather it It'll be fine.

Regards Lez.  

• Thanks 1