• RMweb Gold

A bit more knitting with fog point rodding work. The lever to the economical FPL has been fitted and where the FPL should be has been covered by deflection boarding.

DSCF8250.JPG.c43bbf35f89aed08f1cc712350744fc8.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

That's precisely the cheat I plan on using. Seeing it actually put together I can see that it will suit my purposes. I think that by the time I get the points to work properly, I could have built working point rodding! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's precisely the cheat I plan on using. Seeing it actually put together I can see that it will suit my purposes. I think that by the time I get the points to work properly, I could have built working point rodding! :D

DCC Concepts do working point rodding if you want to try. :biggrin_mini2:

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

DCC Concepts do working point rodding if you want to try. :biggrin_mini2:

I suspect that would be far more trouble than it's worth.

You can't even get reliability out of items that are basically mass produced for trainsets I find.

I'm happy to be considered "not a proper modeller" by some! :rtfm:

Edited by MrWolf
Forgot something!
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

........I'm happy to be considered "not a proper modeler" by some! 

That's not true

I would however be very disappointed in anyone who thought that about someone else's work/modelling

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

You've never met one of those people? 

When challenged with the normally cast iron response of "Please show us all how you did it properly!"

They tell you that they are "still doing their prototype research", or "waiting for someone to produce an accurate drawing / turn up photos of the locomotive shed that burnt down in 1906" 

At which point you realise that their problem is not with what you have done, but with what they haven't. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

their problem is not with what you have done, but with what they haven't

I wish I had said that. In fact, I wish I had said that so much, that I will store it away for future use!

(Imitation is, after all, the sincerest form of flattery, and plagiarism the simplest form of imitation.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

More point rodding has been done but it all looks so similar in photos, I decided not to post. All on the main line to the left of the signal box has been done but I have run out of cranks again due to miscalculating how many I need. While they are on order I made a start on some sheerlegs which Buxton had in the yard near the turntable. Thanks to @jamie92208, who had measured up the ones at Barrow Hill and has built a 7mm model, for a drawing and measurements, I have got this far.

DSCF8257.JPG.75de89937e49b971a4ea38a317f22e63.JPG

DSCF8258.JPG.32f2984320e2e03cc24fb507ace2b774.JPG

DSCF8259.JPG.863f46f9d70d6bebdb77537a19ea2004.JPG

DSCF8260.JPG.f37b1185272458efc5fc7a5fb7f65fcc.JPG

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Looks very good.  Is it a mix of Modelu and Wills parts?

Hi Graham, it's ModelU parts using their Midland Railway stools and various GWR cranks. The rodding is Slaters' 20thou rod which I coloured with a graphite stick. Quicker than painting and looks metallic. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Graham T said:

Thanks Jonathan.  I understand the ModelU parts are closer to scale than the Wills items; how tricky have you found them to work with?

They are very small, see my post on page 37, 15th May where components are on a 1p piece. The cranks are glued to their bases with Super 'Phatic glue as recommended by ModelU. I glue ModelU stuff to plastic with super glue as solvents are no good. A good pair of tweezers is useful as the stools can ping off their supports never to be seen again.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The point rodding has been finished this afternoon and our intrepid photographer has been lineside to capture the push & pull set entering platform 3. Some of the rodding can be seen. I need to find a Push-Pull decal from somewhere.

614345932_DSCF8292(2).JPG.7cd671b7fa9dfec4559266ff3502195b.JPG

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That looks very neat. I also like the paintwork details of the tail lamp!

I must replace it with a black one, I have some from ModelU. The lamp belongs to the NRM Compound which I renumbered as LMS 1004 and now, of course, Bachmann has announced a crimson Compound after I repainted my black one red.

9 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I must replace it with a black one, I have some from ModelU. The lamp belongs to the NRM Compound which I renumbered as LMS 1004 and now, of course, Bachmann has announced a crimson Compound after I repainted my black one red.

There's me fully expecting that you had hand painted and lined that lamp.

As for the locomotive being released in the colours you wanted five minutes after you went to the trouble and expense of repainting a model, I thought that only ever happened to me!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to this lovely photo:

image.png.78b72aaa3e1cdc08b3b7a19793fb2180.png

posted by @MrWolf in @chuffinghell's thread, I decided I wanted a row of coal merchants' offices and huts in the Derwent coal yard opposite the main coal bins.

Here's the first made from Evergreen planking and plastikard and paper roof in primer grey.

DSCF8294.JPG.81d52385248af878e44f249dc47711d8.JPG

DSCF8295.JPG.dbaa8cd088f24a2f9f4920d694a87767.JPG

and after a coat of paint, still to be weathered and the matt varnish on the roof is yet to dry.

DSCF8296.JPG.11e6d67a58ab7150761e7a3554f0ecec.JPG

DSCF8297.JPG.4b9e48e2c11e02801a6f8f92971fb566.JPG

Others of varying construction will follow

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1