New Roco Z21 app

Message added by AY Mod

Please reduce the confrontational aspects to this topic. Just kiss and make up a bit - 08 May

• RMweb Premium

So as it looks there are quite a few new things.

With the older version I sometimes went crazy. It was rather tricky to put your layout into the system. 

The language wasn't a barrier for me... :) Vecchio - made in Austria...

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have come across a bit of a problem with the new version of the app......

If a pair of turnouts are linked and have the same decoder address, the animated graphic on the control screen does not change for both points. It will only change for the point that is touched.

I have a number of cross-over points that run from 1 decoder address, (some also have a signal with the same decoder address).

On the old version of the app, if you touched one of a pair of linked points, the graphic updated to show the route for both points if they were set to the same address..........

• RMweb Gold

On the old app It did on Apple but not on Android. I did away with the second symbol and just put one usually now as it clutters up the diagram. Is there a plain track link you can use on the new app or does it need to show two point symbols to make a crossover?

Im using the latest IOS version (1.3.2) and the new ‘Schematic’ layout type. If the Z21 is switched on and the app is connected then both animations for a linked pair of turnouts switch when one is pressed (both turnouts switch correctly too). If the app is not connected to the Z21 then only the animation touched changes. When testing did you have the app connected to your Z21? 

• Like 1

Fantastic!!!!

Very many thanks, NickC....you've made my day!!!!!!

Yes.....you are quite right.....it works perfectly when connected to the server and yes, I was originally looking at the app without connecting to the z21!

I'm now more than happy to switch from the old app to the new version as the new 'schematic' layout display is a great improvement on the previous version and the ability to share layouts with other devices connected to the z21 is extremely usefull when we have a group running day!

All the best

Pete

• Agree 1

Wee bit of help needed.  Some of you may have seen me snooping about the DCC sections over the years to ask questions. 

Only exception here is I've finally ordered a Z21 and a bunch of Circuitron Smails, so once they arrive conversion finally starts.

I have had both old and new Z21 applications downloaded on my 'phone for about a year to get a feel for them.

Original version is the main selling point for me.  Nice visuals, throttle easy to 'grab' at bottom, take a pic, overlay turnouts, give address, take pics of loco's. Tried it as a dummy in offline and all seems so easy.

Then you get the new app.  Non of that applies.

WTF were they thinking?

Other than the usual answer "They might not support the older app' so jump to the newer,"

can somebody please give me a really good genuine reason to submit to the newer version??

I'm straining to see any incentive.

If not will start building with the old.

Thanks in advance, in case.

Edited by Knuckles

I guess that they were thinking about the people who want to use the range of accessories that they produce that don't integrate with the old app, and also people who want to have a schematic of entire layout with feedback showing where the trains are, plus a larger layout the old app wasn't easy to use, needing to swap between multiple pages.

There are lots of reasons but ultimately it is your decision what you want to use, Roco made their decision and created the latest version of the app and stopped updating the old app. Personally I prefer the new app - especially on tablets and I can absolutely see the attraction for the generation that they are aiming their product at.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Knuckles said:

Then you get the new app.  Non of that applies.

WTF were they thinking?

Other than the usual answer "They might not support the older app' so jump to the newer,"

can somebody please give me a really good genuine reason to submit to the newer version??

I'm straining to see any incentive.

If not will start building with the old.

Thanks in advance, in case.

That’s why the old app came back, you weren’t the only one to think it ;)  I prefer the old in look and operation but the new one is easier to build a control panel in and some people like that. Fortunately we have both so can choose which one suits us best. 

• RMweb Gold

They announced it would go but then announced it would continue after initial feedback on the new one. I asked if they could put the pic option into the new app control panel and they replied they would be keeping the old one for that now.  

OK cool.

Still seems a bit of a pain.  Why remove features that made life quick n easy.  Add features, don't remove.

The new features they could have just added to the old app as new options in an update rather than creating this almost incompatibly new update, seems a pointless divide. 

Edited by Knuckles

• RMweb Gold

Last time I tried to share a layout from the new App to the old via email it wouldn't work. Anyone know if thats working again ?  I assumed they were now incompatible.  I know old 32 bit tablets (Android and Apple) are no longer compatible with the new App but I was quite happy using an old Ipad with the old App  as a throttle but not being able to share a layout from new to old was annoying

• RMweb Gold

Like Iain alluded to I think it was aimed at the more techy and young console market ;) 

The new one is more flexible but I really like the intuitive style of the original and as I don’t need massive track plans the old one is more than adequate so as there’s choice I’m happy to use either but as I’d already created all my control panels, three for Harz and two for other layouts I couldn’t see the point in redoing them when I prefer my old style diagrams to the tiled panel look ;) 

• Like 1

I'm trying to make the track plan on the new version on phone whilst I wait for the Z21 to arrive, got the dispatch email today that the order has been sorted so that's good, just got to hope the Smails arrive soon too.

So like most people I'm finding it disgustingly difficult to make a track plan with Der Phynger Poken on a 'phone, it's horrible, jiggling around and automatically snapping to places where it's not wanted etc etc yadah yadah you've read it before from others.

So battling on....how do you make a double slip actually have more than 2 positions and addresses because currently it doesn't...so although the graphic looks like a double slip, currently... it isn't!

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

So battling on....how do you make a double slip actually have more than 2 positions and addresses because currently it doesn't...so although the graphic looks like a double slip, currently... it isn't!

You need Peco points then.;)

Only two addresses.

37 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

I'm trying to make the track plan on the new version on phone whilst I wait for the Z21 to arrive, got the dispatch email today that the order has been sorted so that's good, just got to hope the Smails arrive soon too.

So like most people I'm finding it disgustingly difficult to make a track plan with Der Phynger Poken on a 'phone, it's horrible, jiggling around and automatically snapping to places where it's not wanted etc etc yadah yadah you've read it before from others.

Hi,

It's better when you turn off the snap to grid and snap to angle features - these are the two symbols at the top left of the controls edit screen with tiny magnets.  Turn them off and you can slide objects around much easier.  Regarding double slips,  I'm wondering if you're using the simple version.  Have another look at the available objects list.

I didnt like it at first, keep persevering it gets easier.

Cheers ... Alan

Ok thanks, I already turned the snapping functions off but it still does it a lot, or you try to move one and it magically turns into a curve deleting it.  A right PITA!

Plan is to make the track plan on both versions on my phone ready then can have a faff n think about what I want to do long term.

Is it true that one made on the original won't import into the new?    Surely turnout locations on the plan could be in the same position minus background photographs.   Then all you'd need to do is add the straights n curves.....in my mind at least.

Have battled on, quite a struggle yet we may be there, renumbered since.  Generally I think it looks ok but a bit rough n dog legged.  Any suggestions, thoughts etc?  My thinking is get the trackplan dobe on the app before I start installing things.

Screenshot_20200429-231911_Z21.jpg

Screenshot_20200429-231917_Z21.jpg

e54QNNQ.jpg

Edited by Knuckles
  • Like 1

Hi,

Not sure what the issue is with a double slip. A double slip needs two point motors that can be operated separately, so it must have two addresses.

It also has 4 positions on the app, a single slip has 3 positions.

You need to zoom in really really close and then your fingers can get the 4 positions done. This, for me is the main issue with the app, so when the time comes I'll be using routes to control my single slip, rather than pushing on the slip diagram itself.

Also, FWIW, you would struggle to get Tidmouth on a single screen on the old App.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

The double slip issue was me being ignorant and selecting the wrong one, figured that today so not a bother now. Lesson learned!

So you can route select with the app too, unsure how that is achieved currently but could be useful.  Edit: found it.

Thanks for replying.

Edited by Knuckles

• RMweb Premium

I think you did very well. The possibility to split the layout using different pages helps with difficult structures. In any case using it on a phone screen is fiddly. I did so at the February show of MKMRS and using the zoom function it works but days after the show I ordered a tablet...