New Roco Z21 app

Message added by AY Mod

Please reduce the confrontational aspects to this topic. Just kiss and make up a bit - 08 May

Has anyone noticed on the new app when you add locos  and you want to add functions to your sound locos there is no option to test the sound of the function buttons unlike the old app where you could select a number then test it to hear the what that number represented. This i find  annoying personally,however you can keep the old app and check it on that. I got in touch with Roco about this and here is there reply.

Dear Mr. Baggott,

thank you for your email-message concerning the new Z21-app! We will try to add this wished feature
also to the new app with one of the next updates!

Kind regards

We can`t complain about the service from these guys and I hope this answers the question some of you were thinking about.

Edited by GR1947
  • Like 1

New app you can stick it for me am going back to old one much more user friendly.

That’s what I felt when I first used it, but after persevering I now prefer it. Wish they’d fix the various annoying bugs though...

HAs anyone had problems with the z21 Start and Hornby RLM Reverse loop module? Mine just clicks changing polarity a lot even if all locos are stationary! could it be I need to adjust the track voltage?

Also when I picked up a loco and put it on another part of my layout it went mad! motor on full as soon as in touched the rails! then stopped for 5 seconds then zoomed of at full speed for two seconds, then was unresponsive to the z21 control on the app and on the muilti maus when I switched the z21 off and turned it back on the loco did it all again. then I moved another loco and the same thing happened again idientically. ! so I took out the z21 and went back to my old Rocco amplifier and everything ran as it should. the only thing I can think it could be is that the z21 will not work with the Hornby reverse loop module that was clicking on and off even when there was no loco near the reverse loop section. SO I’m back to using my Old Rocco DCC Until I can work out the problem.

I have tried reseting the affected locos and re setting their CV#1 but nothing works. I may have to reset the z21 but I'm worried that I will have problems reconnecting to the modem as this happened some weeks back and I had to return the z21 and modem back to the UK for a replacement.

Rocco don't seem interested in giving support! No reply after 3 weeks!

As I said in the other thread I use these autoreverser units https://dcctrainautomation.co.uk/ls-digital/4385-ls-digital-reverse-loop-modual-5410 - I tried several other tyres including the Lenz LB100 which was a step up on the Hornby and it wouldn't work, relays just kep clicking all the time therefore I suggest you need to replace it.

The LS Digital 5410 works brilliantly and when you come to put in detectors it will work with them - it is the only one out of several I trialled that would.

Good price also, especially when compared to other offerings :)

As I said in the other thread I use these autoreverser units https://dcctrainautomation.co.uk/ls-digital/4385-ls-digital-reverse-loop-modual-5410 - I tried several other tyres including the Lenz LB100 which was a step up on the Hornby and it wouldn't work, relays just kep clicking all the time therefore I suggest you need to replace it.

The LS Digital 5410 works brilliantly and when you come to put in detectors it will work with them - it is the only one out of several I trialled that would.

Good price also, especially when compared to other offerings :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my question,I am beggining to feel a bit out of my depth, So what is a "detector"? I'm reasonably tech savvy but possibly this is all a bit beyond me! My Hornby RLM works absolutely fine on my older Rocco DCC system as do all of my locos.

I will put one of those RLM on pre order it seems they are not released yet on the link you supplied.

I managed to programe my Rocco 10764 with many decoders 8 years ago that I installed into HO split chassis loco's but I am an ignoramus when it comes to changing anything other than CV#1 I have tried with the z21 but I just get error messages.

Will I have to then get new decoders to rectify the problems the z21 is having with three of my locos that work really well on my old Rocco 10764 DCC system I just don't understand why three of my loco's and the Hornby RLM wont work on the fabulous z21 when they all work seamlessly with the older system

I'm begining to wonder if the z21 is for me, everything works fine if I switch back to 10764 dcc system. The z21 has given me nothing but trouble and the reason I bought it was to make programming easier! I've spent untold hours trying to find answers on the interwebs to no avail!and quite frankly Rocco give no support at all.

Your my only hope Obi wan. ;)

cheers in advance

Edited by posneg6

The modules are released, I ahve 2 and they work as supplied - it will simply be that he is out of stock but that will be resolved in a couple of days as he sells a lot of these :)

A detector is used to 'see' where trains are on the layout and support automation, there are many on the market and I use Digikeijs DR5088RC as i want Railcom but you could also use DR4088LN with the z21 (https://dcctrainautomation.co.uk/detection/4007-digikeijs-dr4088ln-2r-16-channels-s88n-feedback-module-with-lnet).

the challenge with many auto-reversers, especially older ones, is that they draw often too much current.

Have you downloaded the z21 Maintenance App onto your PC? It makes programming DCC of locos, etc an absolute doddle and I always use it rather than either the phone App, but I have to say that the phone/tablet app is also easy to use to change CVs also - what is the problem that you are facing?   

PS I tried to order the RLM you suggest but sadly "Unfortunately, there are no carriers available for your delivery address." Apparently they don't ship to Australia.

strange, they ship to the rest of the world

I am 100% certain that they will ship to you, it is simply that they don't have an automatic price - an email to them will get an answer on Monday, or Facebook Messenger (much as I despise it) will probably get you an answer this morning

Edited by WIMorrison

The modules are released, I ahve 2 and they work as supplied - it will simply be that he is out of stock but that will be resolved in a couple of days as he sells a lot of these :)

A detector is used to 'see' where trains are on the layout and support automation, there are many on the market and I use Digikeijs DR5088RC as i want Railcom but you could also use DR4088LN with the z21 (https://dcctrainautomation.co.uk/detection/4007-digikeijs-dr4088ln-2r-16-channels-s88n-feedback-module-with-lnet).

the challenge with many auto-reversers, especially older ones, is that they draw often too much current.

Have you downloaded the z21 Maintenance App onto your PC? It makes programming DCC of locos, etc an absolute doddle and I always use it rather than either the phone App, but I have to say that the phone/tablet app is also easy to use to change CVs also - what is the problem that you are facing?

I don't have a PC only Apple imac. I just want to change cvs for lights so I can have fire flicker on the main light function on the firebox LED i have installed as I only have steam locos that dont usualy have much in the way of lights. and I want to change aceleration on some locos.

Also I don't understand why everything works well with the old system and won't work on the z21. I cant read the decoders on the app. it just says error! BY the way I use a seperate programing track.

Oh I just got a message from JAmes Hudson re posting to Australia he has now fixed thr glitch for me, Wow! sometimes the internet is amazing.

Cheers again.

I don't have a PC only Apple imac. I just want to change cvs for lights so I can have fire flicker on the main light function on the firebox LED i have installed as I only have steam locos that dont usualy have much in the way of lights. and I want to change aceleration on some locos.

Also I don't understand why everything works well with the old system and won't work on the z21. I cant read the decoders on the app. it just says error! BY the way I use a seperate programing track.

Oh I just got a message from JAmes Hudson re posting to Australia he has now fixed thr glitch for me, Wow! sometimes the internet is amazing.

Cheers again.

I don't think that the z21 has a separate programming track, therefore assume that you are switching or changing connection to a separate track for programming? 

I have absolutely no issues at all programming with either the phone and tablet apps on my Z21 nor do I have issues with the Maint App. I also use Decoder Pro from JMRI for more complex activities such as custom speed curves, again all without any issues whatsoever.

I cant see what you are doing, but I can assure you that the z/Z21 fully supports programming either on the programming track or on the main track.

Yes I have wired a DPDT swicth to isolate the main and use a side track to programme on. but the z21 will not read the decoders! I have reset the z21 but still the those three locos go haywire every time I use the Stop Start function. and as I've explained the issiue with the Hornby RLM. I will try contacting Rocco support again.

thanks

just confirm that you are choosing the programming track option in the app and also that the z21 light changes from blue to green when you are trying to programme a loco?

can you read cv1 when you place the loco on the programming track?

I am certain the issue is not with the z21 per se.

YEs thats exactly what I'm doing. Now its reading and I found two lococ with the same cv#1 SO Ill go and check all the cv#1 to make sure I am not confusing it .

I feel like I am making progres thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hasd anayone got th POM function to work on the app?

I can read and write CVs on the track using railcom when I use the manual option, but when I try the POM option all i ever get is loco not found, even when I can read the same loco using the manual option!

I had an answer back from Roco in this and it is that the POM option only works for Zimo chips and that for all others you need to use the manual option to read/write CVs on main :(

I do have a Zimo chipped loco and I find that the POM option allows you to set a custom speed curve very easily - even more easily than DecoderPro and that is pretty easy :)

I had an answer back from Roco in this and it is that the POM option only works for Zimo chips and that for all others you need to use the manual option to read/write CVs on main :(

I do have a Zimo chipped loco and I find that the POM option allows you to set a custom speed curve very easily - even more easily than DecoderPro and that is pretty easy :)

So, they made the POM proprietary after all.....

ZIMO is Roco after all as they use ZIMO decoders.

• Like 1