New Roco Z21 app

Message added by AY Mod

Please reduce the confrontational aspects to this topic. Just kiss and make up a bit - 08 May

• RMweb Premium

How do I import loco data from the old app to the new one?

Can a layout (e.g. from TrainController) be imported?

BTW the new app gives the correct mph

Edited by melmerby

Keith

IIRC you export the data from the old to the new (I don't use the old app, but I think that is what I did). You can email the file to yourself then import to the new app.

Unfortunately the format like all of these programmes is proprietary and there isn't anyway (that I know off) to move the layout diagram from one to the other. This would be reasonable because the objective in each programme is different therefore the underlying metadata is very different.

Glad the speed is correct for you now :) 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

Keith

IIRC you export the data from the old to the new (I don't use the old app, but I think that is what I did). You can email the file to yourself then import to the new app.

Unfortunately the format like all of these programmes is proprietary and there isn't anyway (that I know off) to move the layout diagram from one to the other. This would be reasonable because the objective in each programme is different therefore the underlying metadata is very different.

Glad the speed is correct for you now :) 

The old app gives you the option of exporting "presettings" (whatever that means!) to either e-mail or SD card

I have exported that to SD card so how do I import into the new app?

@melmerby if you go into Layout you will see Import at the bottom of the screen

EDIT - the instruction on how to export and import are actually within the new app :) select the Import at the bottom of the screen as I suggest above and it tells you what to do.

Edited by WIMorrison

• 2 weeks later...

I have use a Z21 (black) for a few years now. When I originally got it, I played around with the app on a 5" Samsung Player (basically a wifi-only Android device), but found that it did not suit me, so disconnected the WLAN router and connected my ESU Mobile Control base and mobiles (the original versions, not the ECoS) and a RouteControl and when my nephews came to visit, a couple of LokMice.

When the WLAN MultiMouse came out, I connected the router back up and ditched the ESUs for a pair of wireless MultiMice. This all works pretty well, but programming chips - especially with three or four digit addresses - was no fun at all. So I dug out the Samsung Player, installed the latest version of the app, and use that for programming.

But not for running.

Apart from the haptic and tactility issues of a touch-screen compared to the physical rotary control, I find the apps - both of them - not very easy to use. I have even tried them on a 7" tablet. Where the MultiMouse wins out is the ability to control locos and set point by numerical address entry. With the apps, there appears to be no feature simply to enter a loco or point address - you have to add locos to the database first (and if you're doing it properly, set up the functions and take a picture), and as for points - I thought at first that having a graphical representation of the layout and being able to tap on the points to set them would be useful, until I tried to 'draw' my layout on the tablet (forget the smaller Player). It is extremely fiddly on both apps, and I gave up after two points and some straights. Just rotating points on the newer app is a nightmare.

So my "wish list" for the apps is:

1. Quick 'n easy direct numerical address entry to control locomotives,

2. Quick 'n easy direct numerical address entry to set points (and signals etc.),

3. A way to design or draw a layout on a Windows PC and then export it to the app.

4. And while I'm about it, a way to change (or just get rid of) the background picture on the start screens.

All very valid points that I completely agree with, but you shouldn't be telling us - you should be telling Roco through the feedback in the Z21 App :)

If you don't tell them then they won't consider the suggestions because they wont know about them as don't read RMWeb (unfortunately).

• Agree 1

Drawing a mimic of your layout in the new app on a 7” or even a 10” screen is very fiddly until you buy a stylus and then it becomes much, much easier. You can buy a cheap one from Amazon,  they only cost a few pounds.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

. With the apps, there appears to be no feature simply to enter a loco or point address - you have to add locos to the database first (and if you're doing it properly, set up the functions and take a picture), and as for points -

I have found if you don't add a picture for the locos in the database it randomly uses one of the others already used!

Most confusing as the pictures I have entered also have the loco address superimposed on the picture for quicker recognition.

(Android version)

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, melmerby said:

I have found if you don't add a picture for the locos in the database it randomly uses one of the others already used!

Most confusing as the pictures I have entered also have the loco address superimposed on the picture for quicker recognition.

(Android version)

Must be a bug Melmerby, I've not had that problem at all ? I've just created a new loco on both the old and new App on both Android and IOS and every time, if I dont include a photo it just uses the white silhouette, not a random one. Might be worth backing up your layout lists and do a fresh install of the App to see if that clears it ? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

So my "wish list" for the apps is:

1. Quick 'n easy direct numerical address entry to control locomotives,

That’s been a version of that there for ages, add ‘Demo loco’ in your vehicle list and it adds all functions 1- whatever to it’s list. 

When you open the app flick up the full loco list and you’ll see a + & - either side of the number that you can  press to change the number and then tap the loco symbol to drive. It’s not easy to do long addresses with it but it only means going to the settings railed vehicle list to change the demo loco address there and you’ll already have all the F buttons ready. It’s three taps back and forth rather than 1 but still pretty fast for a function that in theory you only use rarely as it has your loco list built in. 

The whole Z21 philosophy is set around a bit of setup time but simple to do, bit like the speed matching is much simpler than fiddling with speed curves by cv. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I too have not got on yet with the new app track drawing tools.  I have mine on a mini iPad so 7 inch screen and I use a touch pencil as others have recommended.  I find it awkward to make a set of ladder turnouts where the turnouts need to angled ie not parallel to the gridlines.  It can be done with them parallel and connected by odd looking short curves but then this takes up a lot of space.  

The other thing is the way a turnout will insist on trying to join to everything else around it when you try to move it, it even connects to itself with a ridiculous tight loop.  

So I gave up after several attempts and have stuck with the old app.  Fortunately for me I don't need a track diagramme with the entire layout on it, in fact it's a bit big and I don't think I could do it anyway, so having several track screens with a cluster of turnouts suits me and for now I'm happy to stick with the old app - although I realise of course it will become unsupported at some time.  

One day I may get round to sending in a report. 

Cheers ... Alan

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

That’s been a version of that there for ages, add ‘Demo loco’ in your vehicle list and it adds all functions 1- whatever to it’s list. 

When you open the app flick up the full loco list and you’ll see a + & - either side of the number that you can  press to change the number and then tap the loco symbol to drive. It’s not easy to do long addresses with it but it only means going to the settings railed vehicle list to change the demo loco address there and you’ll already have all the F buttons ready. It’s three taps back and forth rather than 1 but still pretty fast for a function that in theory you only use rarely as it has your loco list built in. 

The whole Z21 philosophy is set around a bit of setup time but simple to do, bit like the speed matching is much simpler than fiddling with speed curves by cv. 

If you click on the actual number BETWEEN  the two arrows it opens the text editor so you can change the loco number so you can actually put in the 4 digit address. So a bit fiddly but in demo loco click on the number 3 between the two arrows  , Text box opens, change number to whatever you want, then drive train. 

This only seams to work on Demo loco with no photo added as the number 3 is in the box where the image normally appears. Just add a demo loco to each of your saved layouts and as mentioned above you have a demo loco with all functions active, who's number you can change  on the throttle page 

HTH   Matt

Edited by Mattc6911
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I found you could change the number purely by accident ages ago when trying to press the blue r/h arrow to move the number up, pudgy fingers hit the number 3 in the box instead and hey presto! Up popped the text editor allowing me to put in a 4 didgit number. I use it whenever I'm chipping a new loco as you can quickly change the number on the demo loco and then test all functions etc, on the newly chipped loco without ever setting it up in your loco inventory. Also great if you have a visiting loco to run........ to many locos in this reply  :D

Edited by Mattc6911

27 minutes ago, Dr dieselm2 said:

Yet another update for the app in case you haven’t noticed

now version 1.1.2

Fixed display errors of turnout addresses and route names.

Steering: Fixed saving correct order of locos in trains. 

Regards

Jeff

I don't see this for Android in Google Play store- is it in the iOS version?

Cheers ... Alan

• 3 months later...

Just revisited this thread after over a year to see if there are many updates.

Is there still no way to use a background photo like you could in the old app ?

I've been trying out the new app on my android tablet but can't seem to find if you can use a photo or not ?

Cheers.

• RMweb Gold

No way that I can find but I have asked Roco to add it by reporting it as a fault. I suggest that the more of us who ask by doing that the more likely it is to return ;) 

• Like 1

On 08/06/2019 at 18:03, PaulRhB said:

No way that I can find but I have asked Roco to add it by reporting it as a fault. I suggest that the more of us who ask by doing that the more likely it is to return ;) 

I have emailed Roco about it.

EDIT: No reply yet up to now 15th.

Edited by amdaley

• 2 months later...

App version 1.2.0 now available in the Apple App Store.

Not sure which bugs it fixes but it has added a useful padlock symbol on the mimic panel which, when activated, locks the mimic panel in place and stops it from scrolling around and re-sizing. 

• RMweb Gold

The transfer of layouts was very bug ridden and you could lose all the locos or control panels from the master. Fortunately I had backups so only lost the last locos to be added. I now email myself each layout file when I change anything so I can always upload that. 

Shame they haven’t brought back the picture backgrounds yet though. I’ve asked and I’m not redoing all my control panels so still using the old app for those. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NickC said:

App version 1.2.0 now available in the Apple App Store.

Not sure which bugs it fixes but it has added a useful padlock symbol on the mimic panel which, when activated, locks the mimic panel in place and stops it from scrolling around and re-sizing. 

Ver 1.2.0 Also available (from 7 August) in the Google Play store for Android devices

Edited by melmerby