Struggling to find Pre-Grouping DCC Sound chips

I don't know if this topic has been raised before but I'm struggling to find DCC sound chips for pre-grouping locos even if there are examples still in existence.I have a number of Furness locos that need chips. They are basically LSWR Adams locos in red. Also I have some GER/NER tanks that all should all sound like a NER/LNER H/Y7 of which there are two still running around. Can any one recommend a supplier? 

Marc 

• RMweb Gold

Try some parallel thinking.

The “LMS” 2p, 3f, 4f, 1f (tank), 3f (tank) are all pregrouping.

Similarly, the GWR 14xx is a revamped 517, the 57xx a revamped “large” pannier tank, and the 64xx an updated “small” pannier.

OK so there might have been some small differences but fundamentally Collet realised that the legacy he inherited from Chirchward was extremely strong, and other than a few improvements to details, he was happy to turn a Star into a Castle, etc, and spend his time on more pressing matters such as running the mechanical side of the railway.

The rather more fragmented locomotive development of the LNER and SR might make that a little harder, but have a look and find similar locos.

That said, I am hoping to one day have LNWR sounds from the coal tank produced by Paul Chetter (I like what he has done with the rest of the programming on Zimo decoders) but I am happy to use something which had similar prototype dimensions for inside cylinders, and I have a J94 sound decoder awaiting fitting. If a coal tank file appears later, I can always send the decoder to Digitrains for a reblow.

• RMweb Premium

Try some parallel thinking.

The “LMS” 2p, 3f, 4f, 1f (tank), 3f (tank) are all pregrouping.

Similarly, the GWR 14xx is a revamped 517, the 57xx a revamped “large” pannier tank, and the 64xx an updated “small” pannier.

OK so there might have been some small differences but fundamentally Collet realised that the legacy he inherited from Chirchward was extremely strong, and other than a few improvements to details, he was happy to turn a Star into a Castle, etc, and spend his time on more pressing matters such as running the mechanical side of the railway.

The rather more fragmented locomotive development of the LNER and SR might make that a little harder, but have a look and find similar locos.

Are you suggesting that all two inside cylinder engines sound the same? Wouldn't there be a difference between engines with slide valves and engines with piston valves, the latter, with their larger volume, giving a freer exhaust?

• RMweb Gold

No, I am not suggesting that. Recording new sounds is a non-trivial activity, so until the exact sound come along, find something of a similar size and configuration. Decoders can be re-blown for a relatively small amount.

Or just don’t bother with the sound until the perfect one comes along.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you suggesting that all two inside cylinder engines sound the same? Wouldn't there be a difference between engines with slide valves and engines with piston valves, the latter, with their larger volume, giving a freer exhaust?

I agree with other posts on this thread. Sound chips are rarely that close to perfect rendition and are more of a performance than an aurally accurate copy.

On top of that, there are many other variables such as cut off settings, driver differences, time to next overhaul......the list of variables is near endless.

I would audition chips of similar locos and ensure that even locos of the same class on your layout receive different sound projects.

If you feel that you seek greater perfection and you have good access to the surviving 12" to the foot locos in question, you are at liberty to record the sounds they make and then compile a sound project from these recordings and load those projects into sound decoders for yourself.

You could have a look at YouChoos's range. Some are recorded off preserved locomotives, others are more generic. Digitrains also have a range of steam sounds. I can't vouch for all of them, but I do have a Southern S15 from YouChoos and that was recorded from the real one preserved on the Bluebell Railway, and I am very happy with it.

All such sounds will, of necessity, be compromises because of all the variables inherent in steam locomotives and the driving techniques required (as observed in earlier posts here). I am seriously considering putting YouChoos sound into my Bachmann SECR C class 0-6-0 (also a pre-grouping type, albeit from the 'wrong' end of the country for the OP.

Edited by SRman

I think you should look for a locomotive with similar cylinder dimensions and, if possible, similar vintage.

As an example, I'm planning on adding sound when I eventually finish my NLR 0-6-0 Goods Tank. There isn't a sound decoder for it currently, but there are two other engines with the same cylinder dimensions that could work. One is the J94, the other is the LNWR Coal Tank. Since the Coal Tank is of similar age to the Goods Tank, that's what I plan on using.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think you should look for a locomotive with similar cylinder dimensions and, if possible, similar vintage.

As an example, I'm planning on adding sound when I eventually finish my NLR 0-6-0 Goods Tank. There isn't a sound decoder for it currently, but there are two other engines with the same cylinder dimensions that could work. One is the J94, the other is the LNWR Coal Tank. Since the Coal Tank is of similar age to the Goods Tank, that's what I plan on using.

There's also things like boiler pressure, smokebox size, chimney shape and even the type of valves to consider as these will all make a difference to the sound the loco makes. For my NER P/J24 I've used a J15 sound (without wesinghouse pump). If I was to put sound in my 1001 I think the best bet would be the J72, when it's recorded, hopefully.