Dunford passenger service

Guest Bri.s

Hi

Just wondering did Dunford Bridge have stopping passenger trains

I know the the station shut in 1970 but never seen a picture of a passenger train use it

And if so how frequent were they

Thanks

Brian

• 1 year later...

Some, but by no means all, of the Manchester-Sheffield expresses were booked to call at places like Dinting, Hadfield, Woodhead and Dunford. I seem to recall Woodhead closed about 1964, but not sure about Dunford.

There was, in latter days, no "ordinary" passenger train service as such to these stations*, just these odd expresses making odd calls. In steam days there was an "ordinary" passenger service stopping at pretty much everywhere between Manchester and Sheff, but I'm not sure when it was terminated. Apparently it used to take a couple of hours and would have been great fun to sample as an enthusiast, but I doubt it made much in revenue.

* Woodhead and Dunford. Dinting and Hadfield of course had frequent EMUs, and prior that that, steam powered locals.

Edited by Poggy1165
Clarification

1 hour ago, Poggy1165 said:

Some, but by no means all, of the Manchester-Sheffield expresses were booked to call at places like Dinting, Hadfield, Woodhead and Dunford. I seem to recall Woodhead closed about 1964, but not sure about Dunford.

There was, in latter days, no "ordinary" passenger train service as such to these stations*, just these odd expresses making odd calls. In steam days there was an "ordinary" passenger service stopping at pretty much everywhere between Manchester and Sheff, but I'm not sure when it was terminated. Apparently it used to take a couple of hours and would have been great fun to sample as an enthusiast, but I doubt it made much in revenue.

* Woodhead and Dunford. Dinting and Hadfield of course had frequent EMUs, and prior that that, steam powered locals.

Sorry but Woodhead and Dunford didn't get the EMU service, it only went as far as Hadfield, I understand one was tried as far as Penistone, I think, but struggled with the climb to the tunnel.

May 68 to May 69 passenger timetable shows the following trains calling at Dunford Bridge:

Down from Sheffield Victoria

0845 at 0910

1345 at 1410

1445 at 1510

1745 at 1810

1950 at 2015

Up from Manchester Piccadilly

0736 at 0814

0855 at 0934

1310 at 1349

1700 at 1736

1910 at 1949

2235 at 2312 (SO)

Not actually a bad service for such a small place and station !

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, great central said:

Sorry but Woodhead and Dunford didn't get the EMU service, it only went as far as Hadfield, I understand one was tried as far as Penistone, I think, but struggled with the climb to the tunnel.

Yes, that's why I put a full stop after "Dunford".

3 hours ago, caradoc said:

May 68 to May 69 passenger timetable shows the following trains calling at Dunford Bridge:

Down from Sheffield Victoria

0845 at 0910

1345 at 1410

1445 at 1510

1745 at 1810

1950 at 2015

Up from Manchester Piccadilly

0736 at 0814

0855 at 0934

1310 at 1349

1700 at 1736

1910 at 1949

2235 at 2312 (SO)

Not actually a bad service for such a small place and station !

Rather more trains than I was expecting it to have!

By comparison, my September 1954 Eastern Region T/T shows the following services...

0903 ex Sheffield (0932 DB)

0910 ex Manchester London Road (0949 DB)

1235 ex Manchester London Road (1318 DB)

1840 ex Manchester London Road (1925 DB)

2240 ex Manchester Central (2335 DB) - Running Sats Only

...in other words, a rather unbalanced service provision!

My Spring 1940 LNER T/T is remarkably similar to that in 1954, but with an additional westbound service to Manchester calling there in the afternoon.

Round about 1988 I visited Dunford Bridge and Woodhead stations with some friends, we parked a car either side and walked through the tunnel from east to west.

Woodhead station buildings and signal box were gone, but both were still extant on the eastern side although derelict.

There was the remnants of a 1969/1970 closure notice still just about hanging in there on the down side waiting room, just wish I'd photographed that now as the building was demolished not long after.

I did take some photos of the buildings and while they're pretty poor, they might scrub up a bit.

• Like 1