8 to 21 pin adaptor

Phil47gwr

Hi, sorry if this question has already been covered, I don't visit this forum very often.

I have purchased a couple of locos that require 21 pin decoders. I've been looking at these decoders but as it happens I usually use 8pin and have a small stock of these. I have come across adaptors that claim to convert 8 pin to 21 pin - so, my question is; are these adaptors any good and is the functionality preserved?

I'm not interested in sound but I have the Dapol railcar which has a few lighting functions.

Edited by Phil47gwr

Hi, sorry if this question has already been covered, I don't visit this forum very often.

I have purchased a couple of locos that require 21 pin decoders. I've been looking at these decoders but as it happens I usually use 8pin and have a small stock of these. I have come across adaptors that claim to convert 8 pin to 21 pin - so, my question is; are these adaptors any good and is the functionality preserved?

I'm not interested in sound but I have the Dapol railcar which has a few lighting functions.

You've posted in the wrong section Phil.

Have a look at the various DCC section headings. [Edit: Now moved to DCC Help & Questions]

As for the adapters, they work OK, but take up extra space, so it depends on what space is available in your loco as using an adapter + a decoder may not fit.

If the loco has extra accessory functions (e.g. various lighting options etc) the 8-pin decoder might not be able to operate these, if it doesn't support the required number of functions.

They also cost extra money, so the best solution will be to just buy some 21-pin decoders instead.

The adapters are just dead money IMHO.

Ron

Edited by Ron Ron Ron