Hornby 72xx versions so far released.

gwrrob

That being said I'm very pleased indeed with the running qualities of my three Hornby eight coupled tanks - they run quieter and smoother than ANY other RTR Great Western Tank model that I own.

Do you have any of the first release with the square axle slots and no bearings? Mine did run very smooth and quietly to begin with but the axles have become very sloppy now and it shows when negotiating a bend by crabbing from side to side.

That being said I'm very pleased indeed with the running qualities of my three Hornby eight coupled tanks - they run quieter and smoother than ANY other RTR Great Western Tank model that I own.

Do you have any of the first release with the square axle slots and no bearings? Mine did run very smooth and quietly to begin with but the axles have become very sloppy now and it shows when negotiating a bend by crabbing from side to side.

No, I didn't buy any of the first batch that came without proper bearings. I was and remain 100% opposed to "Design Clever" and would have never given them houseroom as originally specified. Am I right in saying that Simon Kohler insisted that subsequent batches should get decent bearings or is that just an urban myth? Whoever it was I say "Thank You!".

• RMweb Gold

I've got 2 of those type. I must admit that I'm not too worried. There will come a point where any thrust from the axle will be counteracted by the surface area of the bearing. As I'm not working with a full-size 72xx I can't see a real problem developing.

I'd agree that 'quality dodging' by Hornby didn't do them any favours, so I'd rather expect to see bearings on a top-flight model. After all, we've paid top whack!

In a way, it's done a favour for us. We'll no longer accept whatever the manufacturers put in front of us. You can bet your bottom dollar that if Hornby had in fact 'got away with it' all of the other makers would be doing it as well.

Remember, that if any model, regardless of maker/ era/railway company doesn't fit your particular want or desire, keep your money in your wallet. Money doesn't just talk, it educates in equal measure. There will always be a market for top quality, high fidelity kit.

Next years model is only around the corner. Who or what? I don't know. There's nothing to stop any manufacturer trying to blow my socks off, and I welcome the challenge.

Now, how about that nice, full-fat, high fidelity pannier tank that I keep banging on about.....?

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How many people with the early ones have suffered problems from the lack of bearings?  It would be interesting to know.

I've had no issues with 3 of them, I do make sure the surfaces are well lubricated with silicone grease (I'm sure some numbnuts will say you should not have to)   :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2

How many people with the early ones have suffered problems from the lack of bearings?  It would be interesting to know.

I wouldn't say mine was a problem as it runs fine on straight track. It's only on unprototypically sharp curves that it starts to misbehave. I would say its more a disconcerting thing that when you hold the model upside down and see that the axles are very sloppy. However mine hasn't seen a great deal of use.

I have had no problems to date with the bearings (or lack thereof) on either my "design clever" 72xx or 42xx but have had problems with the low-level pickups being damaged, probably on the two Peco code 100 points on their circuit. I note that the pickups have been redesigned on the newer versions of these locos. Has anyone experienced the same problem, and if so, how did you rectify it?

Thanks.

Martin 

• RMweb Gold

I have had no problems to date with the bearings (or lack thereof) on either my "design clever" 72xx or 42xx but have had problems with the low-level pickups being damaged, probably on the two Peco code 100 points on their circuit. I note that the pickups have been redesigned on the newer versions of these locos. Has anyone experienced the same problem, and if so, how did you rectify it?

Thanks.

Martin 

Check to keeper plate is fully screwed in mine fell out as the screws were just push into their holes when I asked Simon Kohler why was this heppening he said

there is nothing wrong with the model and that was OK what a burke, he got upset with my reply.

• Like 3

Absolutely no idea. I've been toying with the idea of buying a later one second hand and doing a chassis swap, but to then sell it on would be very naughty!

I have also toyed with that idea. I don’t see why you shouldn’t sell it on so long as you make it quite clear to the purchaser what you are offering.

OK, so a question to those of you with this 72xx...

I've now been running it for about 60 minutes. Is it just me, or is this loco too slow? Flat out it's doing 165 revolutions per minute, at 4'7" wheels that's about 30mph. Seems slow to me? Both DC and DCC running, same.  

Interestingly the Hornby 42xx runs out at about 260rpm, which is about a scale 45mph. That seems a little more scale to me. 

The Bachmann 64xx that I am running in at the same time I cannot count the wheel revolutions at full throttle, it's too fast lol.

Edited by SimonMW

• RMweb Gold

An observation on the Great Western release R3225 I have found that not only the numbers are on the wrong side but so is the vacuum pipe if you use Hornby's hole in the bufferbeam. The pipe should be left and the numbers right. I can't remember if R3127 was the same but I assume it is/was.

An observation on the Great Western release R3225 I have found that not only the numbers are on the wrong side but so is the vacuum pipe if you use Hornby's hole in the bufferbeam. The pipe should be left and the numbers right. I can't remember if R3127 was the same but I assume it is/was.

post-26289-0-65871000-1521140104.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It took me by surprise, but I then checked photographic evidence and the vac pipe should be on the left, here's one I've corrected (sans buffers, as it's easier to add the buffer beam lettering & for weathering purposes)

post-7000-0-78183700-1521140354_thumb.jpg

But at least it's not as bad as the faux pas on Kernow's 1361 Class ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it's because Hornby based it on one of the preserved 42xx (maybe Hercules?) and the number is on the wrong side too.

• RMweb Premium

I think it's because Hornby based it on one of the preserved 42xx (maybe Hercules?) and the number is on the wrong side too.

I'm never really sure about this, because some classes, which had the vacuum pipe on the right, had the number on the left of the buffer beam (e.g. the 517s), and I thought the same might apply to the 4200s, but this photograph from railuk shows otherwise:

http://www.railuk.info/gallery/notes/watermark_no.php?id=2501&file_name=AberdareShed01.jpg&type=ta

Matters aren't helped by the scarcity of rear views of locomotives.

• Like 1

Ah, my nemesis ;)

Ah, you live!  I thought you might have been struck down by a piston-engined propeller or laid low by new computer, each the same in deleterious effect.

Hattons say they have a lot of 'new old stock from another retailer' but their prices aren't the old kind.  :)

Design Clever models at designer prices.

I got mine a few weeks ago from TMC at 104, so 120 is a little bit of a hike... I wonder who the other retailer was? 

The Hattons newsletter this morning said:

Over the next few days, you may notice a large selection of locomotives and rolling stock being added to our "New Stock" page. We have acquired a bulk amount of discontinued, but brand new, items from a fellow retailer. Hundreds of Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan & Hornby items will be available but there are limited quantities of each - so act fast if you'd like to take home some of these harder to find items.

Keep checking our New Stock section to see the full selection of items, click HERE.

• RMweb Gold

If price hikes are beyond your reasonable expectation, then keep your money in your wallet. I'd dearly love a 72xx, but I'm not going to pay absolute top-dollar. However, it is my personal view. It wouldn't surprise me if Hornby have sat on these to create a demand for what might be described as 'rare'.

"It'll sell, it's got Great Western on the side" sort of mentality.

In an earlier post, we discussed the excessive sideplay encountered on these models. I recall that the class 95xx from Heljan also exhibited that trait. This leads me to wonder if using 'C' style spring clips will cure the problem, just like the Heljan model. I haven't tried my model yet, as it's all still stowed away.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Design Clever models at designer prices.

Had my 4287 last summer from Lord & Butler for less than £80 brand new in the box, and was assured by Peter that this was not a 'design clever' model which it isn't.  I am delighted with it, it plods exactly like a 42xx and would pull down the side of a house.

• RMweb Gold

Had my 4287 last summer from Lord & Butler for less than £80 brand new in the box, and was assured by Peter that this was not a 'design clever' model which it isn't.  I am delighted with it, it plods exactly like a 42xx and would pull down the side of a house.

The initial releases were including the first release of the 72xx I bought.

post-126-0-96272300-1521735569_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 4