Immaculate locomotives and rolling stock passing through magnificent scenery and freshly painted stations heritage railways are excellent subjects to model. Many of the model trains made by model railway companies are based on locomotives and rolling stock on heritage railways. Sometimes you can even buy ready made or kits of stations like Dunster, Sheffield Park, Shillingstone or Highley.

Heritage railways welcome photographers and have stock books and drawings of the station buildings.

The railways are well known so visitors to exhibitions will recognise the prototype.

Several models of the Swanage and Bluebell Railway already exist so it is clear that it can be done. Some stations like Corfe Castle and Highley are small enough to fit in a reasonably sized layout or you can just watch the trains go by on a model of Corfe Viaduct or Victoria Bridge on the Severn Valley Railway as shown in the picture.

Terry Jenkins from the South Dorset Modellers built Victoria Bridge and we are planning to incorporate it in a larger layout including Highley and Arley stations.

post-17621-0-70381100-1517862078_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 6

Matt Wickham wrote an excellent article about Horsted Keynes station in the February 2018 Hornby Magazine. I used to cycle there when I lived in Orpington and the line revived fond memories of steamy train trips in the 1950s. I enjoyed travelling in the observation car hauled by the Adams Radial.

The model is part of a medium size oval layout with hidden sidings. The rural backscene, buildings with Sussex tiles on the first floor, classic cars and the Frys chocolate advertisement convey the impression of the preserved railway. Although the trains are a mixture of pre-grouping, British Railways and fictitious locomotives with rolling stock varying from pre-grouping wagons to Pullmans and Mk1 coaches it is an accurate representation of the Bluebell line.

I particularly liked the description of the London and North Western observation car. A long way from home but somehow very much a part of the Bluebell Railway.

• RMweb Gold

Matt Wickham wrote an excellent article about Horsted Keynes station in the February 2018 Hornby Magazine. I used to cycle there when I lived in Orpington and the line revived fond memories of steamy train trips in the 1950s. I enjoyed travelling in the observation car hauled by the Adams Radial.

The model is part of a medium size oval layout with hidden sidings. The rural backscene, buildings with Sussex tiles on the first floor, classic cars and the Frys chocolate advertisement convey the impression of the preserved railway. Although the trains are a mixture of pre-grouping, British Railways and fictitious locomotives with rolling stock varying from pre-grouping wagons to Pullmans and Mk1 coaches it is an accurate representation of the Bluebell line.

I particularly liked the description of the London and North Western observation car. A long way from home but somehow very much a part of the Bluebell Railway.

Matt is an RMwebber. I share your view that he has developed his model into something very worthwhile indeed, but ISTR that altered domestic circs mean the layout is under threat. Pity. 

• Like 1

There is a long running discussion on why heritage lines aren't that popular. It would seem to me that with every loco clean and shining, it would make an excellent subject for modelling unless one was into weathering. The most successful railways are those that maintain locos and rolling stock, are tidy without a lot of rusting bits and pieces lying around and have clean toilets and other facilities that families, especially mothers, approve of. :spruceup:

Brian

Preserved railways should make good models if you like countryside or simple branch line stations, especially as you can get away with about 2 rakes of 5 coaches and tens of locomotives from Rocket replica through Adams Radial and Gas Turbine to class 68 including all the variations of Flying Scotsman from LNER green to BR green through NE Black.  Short freights of immaculate wagons with a brake van each end would not be out of place either.

For the larger layout lots of kit parts like boilers and wheels strewn about would help the ambience as would lots of derelict and semi derelict Coaches in NSE livery and a shed full of non functional locos with bits missing.

The 25 MPH speed limit would suit the 60:1 gearing types.

Most people under 50 only have experience of preserved steam and they must represent at least 20% of active modellers.  My son now 21 saw the V2, LN, City of Truro, Evening Star, 14XX  etc at Toddington on the GWR, Tornado, S&D 2-8-0, Manors at Minehead and Beattie well tanks, T9, 64XX and 42XX at Bodmin.   He still models late 1950s though.

• Like 1

Perfect excuse to buy older stock/non-working/broken (delete as appropriate) items to fill a restoration line. Even if the model isn't accurate, there are many locos and other items covered in tarpaulins so as long as it looks right, it'd be convincing.

I've had a long term plan to build a preserved station/MPD based on smaller preserved lines. Plenty of inspiration locally to take note of.

Im currently planning - and in the very early stages of making - a version of Lawley Village, on the Telford Steam Railway. Preserved/heritage lines can offer lots of modelling scope away from

the ‘anything goes’ rolling stock.

• Like 3

Think heritage lines done well are popular - thinks of layouts seen at exhibitions that are quite crowded round like those of Goathland and Dduallt. Its the fictitious heritage lines and in particularly those running stock that is not reflective of any preserved stock (like for example an unrebuilt scot on a pristine rake of LMS Period 1 coaches rather than a rebuilt scot on a rake of slightly tatty mk1s)that seem less popular.

• Like 2

Hi guys

I agree preservation doesn’t seem to be a popular place to model. I have modelled ropley on the watercress line. It opens up different types of modelling and is quite enjoyable

Great model of ropley, you’ve really captured the preservation scene, well done to you
  • Thanks 1

Probably one of the beast advantages with this kind of layout is that you're not going broke due to the limited number of locos and rolling stock usually found on heritage lines.  Of course, if you want to have visiting engines the price goes up!

Brian.

• Like 1

There are nine pages of locomotives and rolling stock on the Swanage stock list at http://srstock.co.uk and this does not include the numerous visiting locomotives and rolling stock.

It is difficult for me to find enough storage space for my models of Swanage Railway rolling stock and my bank balance would be a lot better if I had not tried to keep up with modelling the Swanage Railway.

Just started a topic on my own plans for a layout, which will hopefully come together this year:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131296-pitsford-brampton-station-1990s-oo/

Hoping to try and nail everything correctly in terms of vehicles, locomotives, stock and even decoration so will be a long term project.

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to make a reasonable representation of the train running on the Swanage Railway last weekend in 00 and N gauges.

The train consisted of U class 30806, Mk1 TSO 4899, Bulleid BSK S4365S, Bulleid composite S5761S, MK1 TSO 4349 and PMV S1248S.

My 00 gauge train consisted of  Bachmann N class, two Bachmann second opens, two Bachmann Bulleid coaches and a Hornby PMV.

post-17621-0-48117000-1519745866_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-36626300-1519745934_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-32667800-1519745995_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-92393600-1519746034_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

You might get around the 'heritage lines are too clean' problem by simply using them as a prototype for modelling purposes, but them taking them back in time when things were not pristine.

Just a thought.

• 4 months later...

My toy train layout is beginning to resemble a preserved line; a  modest train service but sidings are filling up and the engine shed is full as is the small yard.  Fortunately, the locos and rolling stock are clean and shiny to create a good impression which most preserved lines try to do.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Mine own humble efforts, based on a real location which will (probably) never reopen

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135595-sedbergh-as-a-preserved-railway/

Personally, I think that if you want to create something that looks convincing, modelling a preserved line can involve as much research as any other (example, fitting Rudd wagons with dummy concrete sleeper loads to form a pway train. How many can you load and stay within the weight capacity? How are they loaded & strapped down?). I’ve spent a few hours hunting pictures of the 2-6-0 standard 76080 scrapped at Barry, as a warmup for renumbering a Bachmann example. Also hunted out pictures of 44781 for a second renumbering project.

Mine will have (hopefully) echoes of other preserved lines, the ex goodshed now a tearoom of Goathland, track layout reminiscent of Grosmont at one end of the station (1 side of the double track formation forms the running line, the second goes to an off stage MPD) and a stretch of double track at the other end, echoing the GCR. Modern-ish Pway wagons (Rudds, Seacows) will sit alongside a lowmac and well wagon. Locos will be classmates of ex barry rebuilds (apart from an L&Y pug, that somehow escaped in industry a la one of the brace preserved, if memory serves). Most of the coaching stock will be mk1’s.

To me it’s the believability of it. A fledgling preserved railway is unlikely to be able to afford to build a glorious brick and slate rooted loco shed, but might achieve something out of tin sheets. No shiny new offices for them, but they have acquired a tatty portacabin. Redundant shipping containers in the yard as stores, a few items of rolling stock that are quietly rotting away, a part rebuilt Barry wreck and a tatty faded blue diesel parked up, with a tarp covering the roof and exhausts. It’s unlikely a small preserved railway will have a surviving dean single, caley 123, or a patriot trundling about on an immaculate rake of LMS period III coaches, but a standard tank, jinty, pannier or an austerity on a rake of mk1’s? Now that’s a far more accurate approach. Fancy something a bit different in your coaching rake? Why not bash a mk1 BG into the wheelchair accesable coach that trundles along the NYMR?

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Owain

• Like 1

Ive always fancied moddeling Staverton using the scale scenes kit with Bishops bridge loop as well. Although my liking for big engines will probably scupper this. Id love to model Corfe Castle Station but being new to the hobby it looks like a complicated building to begin with scratch building.

• Like 1

When i finally complete my loft project i will be creating 2 layouts in one.

I want to have a double track loop around the loft with 1 main station which will allow continuous running, just to enjoy seeing my trains run, and then from the main station there will be a single branchline, with stations and passing loops, running around 3 sides of the loft with a terminus at the other end. Hoping for 2 track levels splitting at the station, Mainline upper and Branchline lower.

The reasons behind this is i can run the layout in 2 modes.

1. Steam era mainline and branchline for just running trains and enjoying the operation of the branchline.

2. Modern day mainline running Steam specials (or the odd modern era train) which has the ability to run onto the branchline which will be a preserved steam railway.

Should give all sorts of variety and interest in loco's, stock and operation.

Preservation offers a wide range of options. I have modelled ropley and still always find something to do add etc. I like the fact I model locos under overhaul, awaiting overhaul, or operational. Although locos don’t get as grubby as back in the day but no loco is ever pristine. You have to look closely at areas to capture the image right. A few photos attached to show examples.

post-14552-0-19665700-1531502293_thumb.jpeg

post-14552-0-91228200-1531502311_thumb.jpeg

post-14552-0-53326400-1531502377_thumb.jpeg

post-14552-0-40924000-1531502392_thumb.jpeg

post-14552-0-38096000-1531502410_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...