Options for connecting power across baseboards

Marly51

I have just purchased some power connectors from Railway Scenics to provide a quick way of connecting a 9 ft long layout comprising 3 x 3ft long units. This layout needs to be able to be dismantled and reassembled a few times. I also came across an HOn30 modular logging layout by a German modeller Gerd ‘Waldbahner’ http://blog.waldbahner.de/en/2014/06/gleisbau-teil-1/ and he has used plug and socket fixings which join the modules as well as providing the electrical connection between boards. As a relative beginner regarding the electrical side of railway modelling, I would be interested to know about other possible options for any future layouts. The boards (plywood on timber frame) were constructed for me and have bolt connections, which are relatively accurate, but I am choosing to clamp the modules during track laying.

post-33019-0-11457200-1517881010_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Marly51

That is a good reusable connector but is only two way so you may well need quite a few for your layout and if they are black and red then you could have issues working out which fits which.  I use car wiring multi pin connectors recovered from scrap cars, a friend used Aircraft quality connectors from scrap aircraft, there are at least twenty other options listed elsewhere on this forum.

In many ways the German layout is an example of bad practice.  The track laid direct on a robust flat ply baseboard which does not allow for any scenery or relief below track level.      The wiring is awful. straggling around unsupported.   I either run wires in some rectangular trunking which you can pry the lid off to add more wires or if the wiring is really ugly I put a thin ply panel on the bottom of the baseboard to hold it all in.

That is a good reusable connector but is only two way so you may well need quite a few for your layout and if they are black and red then you could have issues working out which fits which.  I use car wiring multi pin connectors recovered from scrap cars, a friend used Aircraft quality connectors from scrap aircraft, there are at least twenty other options listed elsewhere on this forum.

In many ways the German layout is an example of bad practice.  The track laid direct on a robust flat ply baseboard which does not allow for any scenery or relief below track level.  The wiring is awful. straggling around unsupported.   I either run wires in some rectangular trunking which you can pry the lid off to add more wires or if the wiring is really ugly I put a thin ply panel on the bottom of the baseboard to hold it all in.

Thanks for feedback, David. The layout I am working on is quite simple as it is more of an historic scenic diorama. Roughly single track oval with passing loop behind the backscene and passing loop at station to the front of the layout, with a turnout for sidings to goods shed, oil depots and sheep pens confined to the middle board. The location does not require relief below track level, so the flat base board option is suitable in this instance. I appreciate, and take on board, your point about ensuring all wiring is well supported.

I did check out other postings re multi pin connectors on the Forum, but admit I need to learn more about model railway electrics and improve my soldering skills.

Marlyn

• RMweb Gold

I used some of these, you can chop them up and they can take lots of amps, works well.

Can't remember where I bought them though.

attachicon.gifbox connectors.jpg

I'm a skinflint so made my own from strip connectors and bits of scrap brass rod.

They only need to come apart when there is a repair (spin the board over) which so far has been once in 3 years for 3 boards out of 8.

I used some of these, you can chop them up and they can take lots of amps, works well.

Can't remember where I bought them though.

attachicon.gifbox connectors.jpg

Easily found on eBay and elsewhere: search for 'pluggable terminal strip'.

I'm a skinflint so made my own from strip connectors and bits of scrap brass rod.

The commercial product has sprung connector pins so the strips plug together securely without needing any screws tightening (or loosening, when you want to dismantle the baseboards again).  Depends on how often you plan to be assembling and disassembling the layout, I guess.  I suspect the sprung pins and/or the holes they plug in to may go slack after a unknown number of insertions/disconnections anyway.  If you're going to be connecting and disconnecting a lot then a connector system designed to stand up to that kind of mechanical use would probably be preferable.

Edited by ejstubbs

Easily found on eBay and elsewhere: search for 'pluggable terminal strip'.

The commercial product has sprung connector pins so the strips plug together securely without needing any screws tightening (or loosening, when you want to dismantle the baseboards again).  Depends on how often you plan to be assembling and disassembling the layout, I guess.  I suspect the sprung pins and/or the holes they plug in to may go slack after a unknown number of insertions/disconnections anyway.  If you're going to be connecting and disconnecting a lot then a connector system designed to stand up to that kind of mechanical use would probably be preferable.

I can vouch for quality pluggable terminal strips. I used them in a context where they were constantly being plugged and unplugged several times a day however, there is a lot of variety and I did find one cheap brand was not as robust. Again a lot will depend on how often you need to separate them. What I would suggest when using them is to fix one to under the board or on a small piece of ply with enough protrusion on the connecting side for the the other half to slide on and engage with the fixed strip I find doing this helps keep them in place rather than having the strip dangle freely.

Richard

This is what I'll be using. I'm hoping they will also aid with alignment, too.

I wouldn't do that if I were you. Fix the female half by all means but the male half I would put on a flying lead. If you do attempt to use them both fixed I think you will find that you wont get the boards apart without a great deal of effort.

I wouldn't do that if I were you. Fix the female half by all means but the male half I would put on a flying lead. If you do attempt to use them both fixed I think you will find that you wont get the boards apart without a great deal of effort.

And the longer the block the harder to pull apart!. If you want several connections split the block into pairs and use coloured insulation tapes to code the wires.

One more option is to fix one half to a small piece of plywood and screw to the board. The other half you fix to a piece of plywood, BUT attach it to the other board with slots in the ply so you can slide the two halves apart, but they stay more or less where they are. You need ply under each half so that they have the same standoff from the baseboard.

Edited by cliff park
  • Like 1

Personally I would recommend Anderson Powerpoles. For model railway use the 15 amp contacts are more than sufficient for DC or DCC. The actual connectors and contacts are relatively inexpensive (you can see some indicative pricing here but shop around online and look for bulk packs). You really need a genuine Anderson crimping tool (~£30) to make best use of them. You can solder the connectors, but they are silver plated and soldering flux can affect the plating. In any case a properly crimped connector is electrically and mechanically stronger than soldering.

Cheers
David

Personally I would recommend Anderson Powerpoles. For model railway use the 15 amp contacts are more than sufficient for DC or DCC. The actual connectors and contacts are relatively inexpensive (you can see some indicative pricing here but shop around online and look for bulk packs). You really need a genuine Anderson crimping tool (~£30) to make best use of them. You can solder the connectors, but they are silver plated and soldering flux can affect the plating. In any case a properly crimped connector is electrically and mechanically stronger than soldering.

Cheers

David

The trouble with Powerpoles is if you have more then a single pair , you cannot prevent  cross connections 

A given loco does not draw more current over DCC than DC. The only factors are load and motor type.

Current draw for stationary locos is so small that it's not worth considering.

The difference is you could be drawing many times the current of one DC motor on DCC if several light and sound equipped DCC vehicles are fed from one wire. DC usually trips at around 1 amp, DCC can be well over 4 amps and in my personal experience of running triple headed US style freights on DC using two 1 amp controllers in parallel those 2 amps will make fishplates glow red hot.

The difference is you could be drawing many times the current of one DC motor on DCC if several light and sound equipped DCC vehicles are fed from one wire.

We're not really comparing apples and apples there. My point was that the same layout has almost identical power requirements in either DC or DCC. The power for the chips, lights and sound for stationary locos is almost negligible.

Yes a long train triple heading will need a lot of power. But it will need it in DC too.

The trouble with Powerpoles is if you have more then a single pair , you cannot prevent  cross connections

Yes you can. Powerpoles come in many colours and slot together in stacks so you can't connect them the wrong way. Some examples:

http://www.trainweb.org/freemoslo/Modules/Tips-and-Techniques/images/Power-Pole-3-LG.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/9e/a6/97/9ea697303a4825b57c2f4152a8a8cc18--ham-radio.jpg

Cheers

David