James Hilton - Custom Model Railways

James Hilton

I've finished a pair of 009 coaches this week, both tourist opens from the Talyllyn railway. These have appeared in previous Friday updates, but are complete and ready to head back to their new owner in the next day or so...

IMG_9724.jpg

Based around the Tyneside Models print I have repaired, prepped and cleaned up the 3D prints, added Peco couplings and then primed and smoothed them ahead of painting. They were then sprayed with a matt white over the body panels for where the red panels would be before applying Humbrol 62 (leather) by airbrush on the interior, underside and end panels. Once dry Humbrol 220 was airbrushed onto the side panels.

IMG_9725.jpg 

The next stage was to paint in the panel details with more Humbrol 62, picking out the raised detail carefully. When dry, matt black was applied to the axle boxes.

IMG_9727.jpg 

Roofs were cut from 15thou styrene, curved beforehand and superglued in place. This was then painted leather underneath and black on top. Decals were added to the sides, and the white panel each end of the coach touched in. 0.4mm brass rod was blackened and glued in place down the non door side. Finally the couplings and wheels are fitted. 

IMG_9726.jpg 

Turning 'kits' like these into finished models is good fun, but does require patience and access to things like custom transfers. If you've any questions then get in touch, or would like me to work on your own model then I'm happy to work out a no-obligation personal proposal. More soon...

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 2

This pair of Exmoor style 0-4-0t are not quite as they appear, neither is an out of the box 6point5 model, as have both been commissioned with modified 3D design...

IMG_9748.jpg

As I mentioned in a previous Friday update, the pair have been specifically modelled to their customers requirements. First of all, Spirit of Adventure. This is obviously a compromise, as the prototype is an 0-6-0t but despite this the custom Narrow Planet plates and modified 3D print, combined with complex lining certainly give a good impression of the prototype.

IMG_9752.jpg

The cab floor of the prototype is interesting as the frames go right through to the rear buffer beam, whilst the floor is attached underneath, giving standing room height in the cab. I've re-created this on the model by adjusting the 3D print in this area carefully, to maintain strength in this prone area but give an impression of the framing.

IMG_9753.jpg

IMG_9754.jpg

The dome is raised a little, and the chimney a shorter Hunslet style one from RT Models. Finished in Humbrol 20 Crimson, the yellow black lining isn't quite accurate as I believe the prototype is straw, but was readily available and gives a very neat fine finish.

IMG_9750.jpg

The green model has been modified to give a more 'Hunslet' appearance. This has been achieved by adding a rounded corner fillet to the underside of the tank sides - and adding a sand dome like the Waril class. The model also has a dropped footplate, this time not full depth, so maintaining a flat floor.

IMG_9749.jpg

IMG_9751.jpg

It's a pleasure to work on my own kits, and modifying them to meet your specific requirements is often a more cost effective way of producing a custom model than a full scratch build. Get in touch via the website, Facebook page or the forums, for a personalised proposal for your own dream model. More soon...

Note: these photos can be cruel enlargements, the prototypes being very tiny indeed. I use photos like this to identify small corrections required, and in this case some of the lining was touched in before being sent to their new homes.

• Like 4

I've pondered getting myself one of the Hornby Peckett 0-6-0st since they were announced, even having one on pre-order for a while, however in the end I decided I'd wait for a second batch. I'd hoped someone would ask me to work on one though, as I've been dying to see it in the flesh...

IMG_9776.jpg

My prayers were answered when this one arrived, a lovely lined blue NCB example. I'd dismissed this version myself as I wasn't keen on blue engines, preferring green, but it did look very nice albeit far too clean. This model has been weathered with a 3 stage approach, washes, then airbrush, then dry brushing and has been fitted with works plates and a real coal load.

IMG_9777.jpg

I suppose it's actually a 3.5 stage process, because I couldn't help myself adding some detail painting before the airbrushing adding streaks around the water filler hatch, and soot staining down the saddle tank and around the coal bunker.

IMG_9780.jpg

IMG_9778.jpg

The model actually was given a gentle polish before I started, as I felt the finish was a little too dull and would benefit from a soft sheen before beginning. This has added a real lustre to the finish.

IMG_9781.jpg

If you'd like me to weather your model, and create a realistic and personalised miniature recreation of your chosen prototype. bringing it to life then get in touch for personal proposal, using the website form, Facebook or a forum private message. This model will be heading off to it's new home this week, just in time for Christmas. More soon...

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

This trio of O&K skip wagons in 7/8ths (1:13.7 scale) are built from excellent Model-earth kits and have been finished and weathered for a customer in South Wales whom also bought a Hudson Hunslet from last years batch, so it will be nice to see photos of them all together in the coming weeks...

IMG_0062.jpg

The trio of wagons undergoing proving trials on the Dyfrdwy Tramway with the Alan Keef K40 - it must be cold as the driver has closed the cab door!

The Model-earth budget skip wagon is a well detailed kit but does require careful preparation, especially of the white metal axles boxes that in my experience often need levelling and the bearing hole straightening. However, once these tasks have been done it's just fiddly, not difficult to assemble each wagon's axle boxes onto the resin chassis frame, that needs gently tidying up with a saw and knife to remove the mould feed and very limited flash. The wagon bodies are all 'as intended', although I have added a custom brake stand to the flat wagon, along with associated brake shoes against the wheels under the wagon - barely visible but necessary otherwise it just wouldn't look right from a distance.

IMG_0063.jpg

The paint finish is my usual multi-layered approach of solid painting followed by washes and dry brushing, with some detail micro painting thrown in half way - writing it is more difficult than the process, but it rewards patience and practice to get the colours right and take advantage of the natural variation a hand applied process can have.

IMG_0064.jpg

The oil barrel has been painted, washed, stippled and dry brushed to give a realistically worn but serviceable appearance!

IMG_0066.jpg

The flat wagon has brakes bearing on the wheels on the left in the picture, a cross beam has been fitted, it's bearing housings being welded to the frame each side (glued obviously, not I didn't add bolt heads ad it looked cluttered).

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

If you're interested in me building you a single kit or a complete train like this, in any scale or gauge, get in touch for a personal proposal. More soon...

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

The Model-Rail J70 is a wonderfully conceived model, by Canadian firm Rapido. This commission is the first time I've had a chance to handle one of these in the flesh and I'm really impressed...

The first job was to add some of the details, mainly the cow-catchers, cleverly moulded in an Engineering type flexible plastic. I removed the screw link couplings from their hooks so the hook could be fitted despite retaining the tension lock couplings. The end doors were fitted, one closed, one open, based again on photos, secured with a touch of superglue. The etched plates were painted with satin black, once dry this was polished back with fine wet-and-dry paper and they were secured with tiny drops of superglue.

IMG_0308.jpg

My customer asked for a subtle weathering (it's so easy to go over the top, a restrained yet realistic weathering is a lot harder to achieve in my experience). I began with studying a few photos of the prototype to observe where dirt collected and staining occurred before beginning work with a simple wash. Whilst wet this was wiped off with a sponge, vertically to give just the faintest of streaks in the direction of rain water. Once dry, I added a little more wash and staining in vertical streaks from the window sills and door ways. 

IMG_0309.jpg

It was important to add the wash to the insides of the cab as well, where possible, to tone down the glossy finish of the cast metal chassis and boiler parts. The next stage was to simulate worn metal edges by dry brushing with gun-metal. The wheels were also treated to a rusty dirty brown colour applied whilst the loco was on the rolling road carefully by brush to avoid the wheel treads.

IMG_0311.jpg

The roof was washed with a blacker wash and again sponged off in a side to side motion to represent rain streaking, and a light dribble of wash applied along the rain strips. Once dry, some small streaks added around the chimney.

IMG_0313.jpg

The final step was the use of the airbrush to tone the various washes and dry brushing together, mixed up to give a dusty but warm tone to the completed model. The customer is looking forward to receiving the model home, and hopefully I can get some photos of it in use for a Friday update some time. 

I can offer weathering from just £60, the perfect way to transform your ready to run model and bring it to life. Get in touch for a personal proposal. More soon...

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

The Minitrains Decauville, wheels excepted, a lovely 009 (yes, not H0e, it's a scale 1:76 model) of the small 0-6-0 design used by the French military during the first world war, and subsequently in industry across Europe, especially France...

IMG_0616.jpg

My customer supplied a recently repainted model (see below in primer before it was painted green) which had some damage to the paintwork, presumably from nameplates being fitted or something. Despite the customer having painted it in the green he wanted the damage was still clearly visible and would impact the weathered finish, I thought it needed sorting. I rubbed down very gently with 600 wet and dry used wet, and then re-sealed with dull-cote which improved matters greatly.

20200222_165714.jpg

The basic weathering finish is a mix of a simple wash (and subsequent removal to leave streaking, as well as water leaching down the tanks) and airbrushed soot/road dirt.

IMG_0615.jpg

This simple approach brings this small model to life - and she'll be heading home this week.

IMG_0617.jpg

If you've got a model you need repairing/repainting/refinishing and weathering, then get in touch for a personal proposal based upon your exact requirements. More soon...

This wonderful hand built model of a Penrhyn brake van has been a true delight to work with over the past few weeks. It arrived pristine with a black chassis, pale grey primed tank and laser cut ply brake van and I've worked with the customer to define the finish and bring it to life...

IMG_0562.jpg

The quality of the model making has rewarded this careful and subtle weathering that blends a variety of techniques. The wooden cab was laser cut ply which had a lovely grain but was too obviously one piece as the grain moves across each laser cut plank as it was done as one sheet. Therefore the weathering had to not only preserve some of the grain, but also disguise it. I selected to use a wash of Humbrol 72 initially, which toned down the garish raw ply look and then once dry used a dry brush and stipple of Humbrol 64 for the faded worn paint. Rust streaking from the nails has been micro painted in place.

IMG_0563.jpg

The tank has some lovely weld detail and I wanted to subtle highlight this in the finish, a mid grey was chosen for the paint work applied using Humbrol enamels as they dry hard and stand up to the weathering steps that follow. The first step was a dirty dark wash all over the tank. On the sides this was mostly removed using a vertical motion to leave some staining and streaking. On the tank top this was more stippled to give the effect of previously pooled and dried water puddles. Once thoroughly dry my more usual shade of wash was applied, and the process repeated, giving it a dusty finish. Once dry a rusty mix was thinned and painted along the welds, and used neat along the bottom edges of the tank for rust patches, before being dry brushed with gun metal to highlight the edges.

IMG_0564.jpg

The chassis was painted a dark grey, before rust effect was hand painted around nut and bolt heads, along some of the seams and streaks of dirt and grease added, before dry brushing gun metal to hi light metal edges, same with the buffer beams that also got a few neat rust patches and scratches from abrasion or chains.

IMG_0565.jpg

The moss around the windows was added using a matt dark green, dribbled along the edge of the glazing and used a little neater along the bottom edge. The photo below also shows the pooling water stain on the tank top, along with the rusty weld.

IMG_0566.jpg

Finally, the model was sprayed with dirt in the airbrush to tie the finish together, concentrating on the two 'dirty' stripes on each end, clearly visible on the prototype, assumed to be road dirt flung up from the wheels of wagons when running at speed in the wet.

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

I'm really pleased with how the finish has pulled the model together and brought it to life from a dull lifeless masterpiece of a model to a miniature reality. If you have a model you'd like me to breathe life into, I can work in any scale or gauge, using the prototype as inspiration to create truly unique models. Contact me via the Facebook page, contact form on the blog or a forum message. More soon... 

The Model-Rail J70 is a wonderfully conceived model, by Canadian firm Rapido. This commission is the first time I've had a chance to handle one of these in the flesh and I'm really impressed...

The first job was to add some of the details, mainly the cow-catchers, cleverly moulded in an Engineering type flexible plastic. I removed the screw link couplings from their hooks so the hook could be fitted despite retaining the tension lock couplings. The end doors were fitted, one closed, one open, based again on photos, secured with a touch of superglue.

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0308.jpgThe etched plates were painted with satin black, once dry this was polished back with fine wet-and-dry paper and they were secured with tiny drops of superglue.

My customer asked for a subtle weathering (it's so easy to go over the top, a restrained yet realistic weathering is a lot harder to achieve in my experience). I began with studying a few photos of the prototype to observe where dirt collected and staining occurred before beginning work with a simple wash. Whilst wet this was wiped off with a sponge, vertically to give just the faintest of streaks in the direction of rain water. Once dry, I added a little more wash and staining in vertical streaks from the window sills and door ways. 

IMG_0309.jpg

It was important to add the wash to the insides of the cab as well, where possible, to tone down the glossy finish of the cast metal chassis and boiler parts. The next stage was to simulate worn metal edges by dry brushing with gun-metal. The wheels were also treated to a rusty dirty brown colour applied whilst the loco was on the rolling road carefully by brush to avoid the wheel treads.

IMG_0311.jpg

The roof was washed with a blacker wash and again sponged off in a side to side motion to represent rain streaking, and a light dribble of wash applied along the rain strips. Once dry, some small streaks added around the chimney.

IMG_0313.jpg

The final step was the use of the airbrush to tone the various washes and dry brushing together, mixed up to give a dusty but warm tone to the completed model. The customer is looking forward to receiving the model home, and hopefully I can get some photos of it in use for a Friday update some time. 

I can offer weathering from just £60, the perfect way to transform your ready to run model and bring it to life. Get in touch for a personal proposal. More soon...

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I was reading one of Gordon Edgar's books, I think it was the Midlands album, and spotted a little 4wDH chain driven Sentinel at Courtaulds works near Derby with some tank wagons, crossing from the BR exchange sidings to the works and was immediately drawn to it, it reminded my of my own Mollington Road micro and reminded me of the Judith Edge Sentinel I built for Meadow Lane many moons ago before the Hornby model was available...

9.jpg

I spent a little time looking around at OO models and realised the potential in the Hornby model, especially combined with some of the excellent detailing parts available and decided that I'd add one to the 'Corona' modelling project list, which so far has seen 2.5 industrials finished, nothing wrong with adding another. A quick sketch on Paper showed the potential of developing a faux Planet Industrials livery and a chat with fellow Pi conspirator Steve led me to push the button on buying a Hornby chain driven model and agreeing to re-finish Steve's existing model at the same time.

0.jpg

Once the model arrived the skirts were quickly pinged off, to see how the thing was assembled and what work might be needed to fit the RT models side skirts. I made a start on mocking up some graphics for size, before I ordered them from my usual excellent supplier.

1.jpg

Whilst waiting for them to arrive, I stripped off the side plates and glued them to the cab, and filled smoothed and primed the body. In the meantime Steve's model arrived, a side rod driven model. It was interesting to compare these side by side. The Hornby model actually uses many different parts - the chassis block is wider, the wheel spacing is different, the side frames are different and the side skirts are different. The body shell is consistent on both though...

2.jpg

I stripped Steve's model down, removed the livery and did the same side panel modification before fitting the RT skirts to both models. The sand box sections of the original Hornby skirts were cut out and cut down to fit behind the RT skirts. The buffer beams were smoothed by using plasticard to fill the coupling mount, superglued in place, and the edges filled with Humbrol filler, before being smoothed with a sanding stick. The brake pipe mounting was also carved off with a file. The lifting eyes were drilled out with a 1mm diameter drill bit.

3.jpg

Both models were primed and smoothed to ensure the side panel seemed to be one piece, worthwhile taking your time on this and whilst they were drying the transfers arrived...

4.jpg

Steve and I had a few chats about colours, nothing seeming quite right out of the tin, so the light grey was Humbrol Matt 28, the only colour not custom mixed by me during application. This was masked, which was a bit of a pig around the cab, before adding the yellow orange that was mixed approximately 60% gloss 69 yellow and 40% gloss 18 orange.

5.jpg

The dark grey was going to be Satin 125, but this seemed too light, so once the buffer beam wasp stripes were masked, I added some gloss 21 to the 125 to darken the mix. At this stage the models could be re-assembled and checked over...

6.jpg

...before the transfers were added, and handrails picked out in black. The pair looking just as I had imagined although far too clean and toylike...

7.jpg

The next stage was to add the superb Shawplan 'Laserglaze', which despite Brian's out of date website, is still readily available. I found some parts needed adjusting to fit, and the front windscreens aren't perfect as I suspect the prototype ones are slightly curved, but they look good and rewarded patience. The looser panes were held in place with Deluxe Materials Glue N Glaze.

8.jpg

Finally it needed bringing to life, and although I still need to add a touch of exhaust and road dirt with the airbrush, as well as weather No.1, here is No.2 posed on Mollington Road looking every bit the picture I imagined when I started. It goes to show that not every project needs to be difficult and this one only really required a knife, needle files, sanding stick, filler and super-glue - and although the airbrush helps with a fine finish, it could also have been brush painted. Infact, the Hornby model and the way it splits, means you could probably fit the glazing to a body without re-painting, and then just add the RT skirts and repaint the chassis. I'll grab a few more photos, when I weather a few more of the locos sat here on the workbench, in the meantime, enjoy the bank holiday weekend. More soon...

9.jpg

• Like 7

On 06/02/2018 at 15:59, James Hilton said:

jameshilton_custommodels.jpg
As a model maker with over 30 years experience I'm happy to offer my unique combination of skills in scratch and kit building locomotive and rolling stock, painting and weathering, construction of scenic buildings and structures through to complete layouts. I particularly specialise in assembly and finishing of kits of my own design, and micro layout design and construction.

I offer a bespoke and personal service, working with you to understand your requirements, your chosen prototype and share my ideas and thoughts before we agree an approach, price and approximate timescales.

Typical prices are given on the website as a guide or estimate, however every commission is different and I will prepare a specific proposal based upon each individuals request.

Contact me to discuss your requirements today: https://paxton-road.blogspot.co.uk/p/modelmaking-commissions.html

P1290868.jpg

08s-1.jpg

P1290530.jpg

FullSizeRender-757544.jpg

Paxton-Yard-33019-side.jpg

P1290527.jpg

FullSizeRender-731446.jpg

med_gallery_6671_16_20899.jpg

IMG_8954-772221.JPG

P1290526.jpg

I say, Sir! You are quite a talented model-maker.

By scratch-building, can you also recreate locomotive prototypes from scratch? Certain models that no company has made before or anything of a freelance type?

12 minutes ago, LNWR18901910 said:

I say, Sir! You are quite a talented model-maker.

By scratch-building, can you also recreate locomotive prototypes from scratch? Certain models that no company has made before or anything of a freelance type?

Thank you that is very kind, yes indeed, theoretically any prototype, real or imagined, from scratch in a variety of materials.

1 hour ago, James Hilton said:

Thank you that is very kind, yes indeed, theoretically any prototype, real or imagined, from scratch in a variety of materials.

Shall I message you some images if it's alright with you?

After spending a few weeks on my windowsill letting the paint finish harden up, I've weathered the Alan Keef and am excited to share photos of it finished, posed here on the Tramway...

IMG_0288.jpg

The model has been a good fun build, and combines my usual techniques of 3D printing and laser cutting - the axle boxes and couplers were 3D printed, the rest laser cut... under the bonnet behind the grill sits a SLR Models Lister engine, the prototype was fitted with - and the batteries and receiver sit behind the plain section of the bonnet. Under the footplate sits Slaters wheels with micro gearbox and Delrin chain drive, in a custom designed chassis unit.

IMG_0289.jpg

This is a small locomotive, a lot smaller than the K40 I built for myself some time ago, only just larger than the G-series... however it's tall and thin, and has a nice cuteness to it, intact, if I didn't have a K40 I'd have built a pair!

IMG_0290.jpg

It's incredibly orange in the flesh though and my customer requested a worn but looked after finish, which is often harder than it sounds. It's easy to slap a load of dirt on, much harder to add the dirt, clean it off and then add some more in a subtle way to suggest cleaning and wear and tear.

IMG_0291.jpg

As well as oil and grease leaking from the engine bay and exhaust, there are a few scrapes and rust patches, plus some staining and gunk leaking down from window seals. The bonnet top is also stippled to give the impression of that mouldy lichen stuff that grows on horizontal surfaces when not well drained...

IMG_0295.jpg

It's difficult to capture the subtle finish in photos but combined with some dry brushed gun metal on worn edges and airbrushed soot and road dirt, I think she's met the brief and my customer is happy. Off to Scotland later this week thanks to Royal Mail...

IMG_0292.jpg

I do love the Keef logos, so simple, yet they lift the model...

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

I'm about to start building a batch of Hudson Hunslet's in 7/8ths, and there is still a chance to squeeze in another with this summer's batch. Get in touch if you'd like to reserve one, or commission you're own one off like the Keef. More soon...

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Last year a customer commissioned a pair of Tralee and Dingle Hunslet's, and commented that he'd like to look at the Kerr Stuart in 2020. He ordered a print from Shapeways and asked if I'd source and fit a chassis and modify it to represent the model as it ran towards the end of it's life on the T&D and early years at the C&L...

IMG_0281.jpg

I decided that a Grafar GWR 2-6-2t 61xx prairie tank would be a suitable donor for the chassis. This arrived and was stripped down and serviced before being dissassenbled and the 3D print modified to fit the chassis. The print was slightly banana'd end to end - to stop this getting any worse I added a second footplate in styrene under the body, and used this to cut out a slot and fit the Grafar chassis. Two birds and one stone...

IMG_0283.jpg

The print was modified by adding an extended rear buffer beam, and the T&D cow catcher at the front. The customer supplied the latter, along with a Hunslet chimney he wanted fitting, which although not quite right better suits the model than the under nourished and poorly detailed.

IMG_0285.jpg

The cylinders weren't in quite the right place, so as well as 'beef' them up, I was able to make them look like they were further forward by mounting the styrene tube used more in line with the smokebox. The open ends were filled with filler. False frames were added at the front and rear of the chassis, the front with cut outs to allow the front pony truck to swing.

IMG_0286.jpg

Painted in satin dark grey before a gentle weathering, plates were Narrow Planet, although on the first photos here the works plates were fitted incorrectly (my mistake) - they are now fitted, as per prototype, on the front sand boxes.

If you've got a project or model you'd like to realise then get in touch for a personal proposal. I can work with kits, scratch aid kits or scratchbuild a model in any scale or gauge. More soon...

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

In March last year I put together a Narrow Planet Dolgochification kit for a customer, enjoying the process immensely, so I’ve been delighted to have the chance to work on another...

9DF326B6-C6B2-492C-AB66-14E8B58425B1.jpe

The model appeared recently in primer, the paint has now been completed and she has decals, windows and a coal load. The bodywork, as last time, is a mix of three Humbrol colours to try and match the lustre of the prototype in model form. This is approximately one part of 133 (Brown), one 220 (Red) and two parts 18 (Orange). Applied by airbrush to the body, and brush to the wheel centres and cylinders this mix dries with a good gloss finish so transfers are readily applied without additional lacquer. The footplate and cab roof are Matt black (33) and the rods and buffer beam are Signal red (174). I used a Gamesworkshop paint for the brass work, which is perhaps a little warm in tone but I think it works well with the body colour to give that feel of the prototype.

73156E8F-58C5-407C-9FC1-C6E42D6AD9E4.jpe
The transfers are from DTB models. I find that if the pack I need isn’t in stock, a quick email to Dan tends to sort that out in some way or another, these are well measured and provide a great finish to the model.

85308411-AEF5-4BED-B415-AFA2AB3904EF.jpe
Inside the cab you’ll note I’ve added the pale coloured top sheets not an easy task with such a narrow door way but essential to the character. The etches works plates provided in the kit were painted cleaned up and fitted before the model was then sealed with a coat of Dull-cote (I’ve still got a few cans left before I exhaust my supply). The final step was to add real coal to the bunker and flush glazing using Deluxe ‘Glue n glaze’.

E0C143B6-9704-4635-9E65-133B3283C5AE.jpe

Finally a comparison with my own Porter, showing a transatlantic difference in our small locomotives! If you’ve got a kit in the drawer awaiting your attention, or you’ve seen a model on my blog you’d like to own yourself, then get in touch for a personal proposal and let me commission build your dream a reality. You can get in touch through the form on my website, Facebook or the forum messaging systems. In the meantime, more soon...

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/06/2019 at 09:23, James Hilton said:

Sometime's it's difficult to show all the work that goes into a model, and even though I've put this together, I'm still not sure it captures all the effort and attention to detail!

The concept is to graphically display the details and changes, as well as referencing some of the small suppliers that make a model like this possible.

Pannier74xxPoster1600x1200.jpg

However, I'd really like you to let me know what you think! I am considering doing similar posters for other projects I've undertaken. If you'd like to see one in particular please get in touch and let me know. More soon...

Supplier links:

James Hilton Custom Model Railways

MJT

Modelu3D

Narrow Planet

RT Models

Shirescenes

Springside

I noticed this lovely 74xx conversion is for sale on eBay at a very good price. 

Lovely work as ever James. 

9 minutes ago, 46444 said:

I noticed this lovely 74xx conversion is for sale on eBay at a very good price. 

Lovely work as ever James. 

Indeed, thanks, I’m clearing out some older models to make room for new ones...

Whomever gets it will be getting a bargain, as my time for the conversion is basically free as I did it for myself, so it’s a lot cheaper than I’d charge for a commission today.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 years later...

It seems to have been a few years since I’ve updated the post here! I am very much still trading, busier than ever.

I am still writing on my blog daily (https://paxton-road.blogspot.com) and have a fledgling presence on YouTube these days too (https://www.youtube.com/@JamesHiltonCustomModelRailways). 

I’ve started sharing my own layout projects again on RMweb, where I pull the relevant blog material together in one place - you can find those in the Micro section.

Of course I’m also one half of Planet Industrials, and now an author of two books! I was humbled to be nominated in the Modeller of the year category in this years ‘British Railway Modelling’ awards… 

It will be interesting to see what this year brings. Thank you.

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 11