009 mobile crane

rynd2it

Hi,

I'm new to this 009 stuff although I've been wiring a layout for about 6 months now. We've started acquiring rolling stock and we're looking for a mobile crane suitable for an engineering works on a preserved railway centred around an old quarry workings.

I cannot find anything out there using Goggle search and reading catalogues. Does anyone know of a an RTR or kit version that would be suitable?

Many thanks

David

• RMweb Premium

The On Track Plant website has a narrow gauge section. I do recall there was a photograph of a narrow gauge crane on a preserved line. The crane was a Hiab type as fitted to some lorries mounted on a bogie flat truck, apparently it was used to assist in track laying.

The On Track Plant website has a narrow gauge section. I do recall there was a photograph of a narrow gauge crane on a preserved line. The crane was a Hiab type as fitted to some lorries mounted on a bogie flat truck, apparently it was used to assist in track laying.

Yes, good prototype reference, but I'm looking for an RTR or kit - looks like we found it, thanks

David

• Like 1

There  is  an  Lynton  &  Barnstaple  crane  kit  available,  this  is  modelled  on  the  WW1  war  department  cranes.

Post  war  these  were  sold  off,  L&B  had  two,  the  Ffestiniog  one,  there  was  the  remains  of  one  in  a  disused  quarry  up  till  recent  times.

Backwoods  Minatures  make  this.  Not  sure  of  their  current  availability,  the  owner  of  Backwoods  I  believe  has  retired  and  the  009  range  is  being/has  been  sold  to  another.

Not  cheap  but  looks  a  very  nice  kit,  you  get  two  cranes and  one  match  truck  (as  per  L&B)

I  have one,  not started  it  yet.

Pete

• Like 1

There  is  an  Lynton  &  Barnstaple  crane  kit  available,  this  is  modelled  on  the  WW1  war  department  cranes.

Post  war  these  were  sold  off,  L&B  had  two,  the  Ffestiniog  one,  there  was  the  remains  of  one  in  a  disused  quarry  up  till  recent  times.

Backwoods  Minatures  make  this.  Not  sure  of  their  current  availability,  the  owner  of  Backwoods  I  believe  has  retired  and  the  009  range  is  being/has  been  sold  to  another.

Not  cheap  but  looks  a  very  nice  kit,  you  get  two  cranes and  one  match  truck  (as  per  L&B)

I  have one,  not started  it  yet.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I can't seem to find the kit or a website for them, the domain name is defunct. We'll probably go for the Minitrains one, not as sophisticated but great price and we need to spend time on the rest of the kits & scenery.

David

• Like 1

For what it's worth - years ago (and I do mean years) I put an Airfix crane from the RAF Recovery Kit onto an original Minitrains bogie bolster - remove two sets of bolsters and drill a hole for the crane's peg.  Also add metal chain to the crane jib.  This is a much more substantial crane than the current Minitrains offering.  Other bits from the kit were also used to cobble up some odd 009 wagons.

Those were the days - Airfix RAF Recovery set three bob [15p to those who don't understand "real money" ;~) ]. 

Sigh - showing my age again!

• Like 2

For what it's worth - years ago (and I do mean years) I put an Airfix crane from the RAF Recovery Kit onto an original Minitrains bogie bolster - remove two sets of bolsters and drill a hole for the crane's peg.  Also add metal chain to the crane jib.  This is a much more substantial crane than the current Minitrains offering.  Other bits from the kit were also used to cobble up some odd 009 wagons.

Those were the days - Airfix RAF Recovery set three bob [15p to those who don't understand "real money" ;~) ]. 

Sigh - showing my age again!

Nice idea, now where can I find an Airfix RAF Recovery Kit? and an original Minitrains bogie bolster?  Especially if I can get them for half-a-crown ;-)

Cheers

David

• Like 2

Nice idea, now where can I find an Airfix RAF Recovery Kit? and an original Minitrains bogie bolster?  Especially if I can get them for half-a-crown ;-)

Cheers

David

The AirFix RAF Recovery Kit is still available from time to time.  The original Mnitrains bogie bolster only second hand - other flat wagons are available.  AirFix kit around £5 new; flat wagons ~ £20 depending on make.  I believe it's called inflation?

PS - Other parts from the AirFix kit were put on Peco N Gauge chassis with a 40thou (or 60 thou?) floor to make additional wagons of uncertain prototype accuracy - but then it is MY railway ;~)

Thank you!!  Google isn't all it claims to be is it?

David

Google gains its 'knowledge' from automatic 'bots' that trawl the Internet gathering data. These bots are very good at gathering information that is frequently asked for and amasses lots of references on Google's server.

I suppose an infrequently asked for item such as this might not attract bots.

I do believe that this forum has Google bots on it near all the time. I don't think they gather names or email addresses, only data. You can gauge the efficacy of a search by entering lots of key words and seeing how many are not mentioned in the first few responses.

• Like 1

Google gains its 'knowledge' from automatic 'bots' that trawl the Internet gathering data. These bots are very good at gathering information that is frequently asked for and amasses lots of references on Google's server.

I suppose an infrequently asked for item such as this might not attract bots.

I do believe that this forum has Google bots on it near all the time. I don't think they gather names or email addresses, only data. You can gauge the efficacy of a search by entering lots of key words and seeing how many are not mentioned in the first few responses.

All true, except the Minitrains description does not include the words 009 or mobile so it wouldn't be found with my search. The skill lies in identifying products so that SEO  works (Search Engine Optimisation) so it really isn't Google's problem

The AirFix RAF Recovery Kit is still available from time to time.  The original Mnitrains bogie bolster only second hand - other flat wagons are available.  AirFix kit around £5 new; flat wagons ~ £20 depending on make.  I believe it's called inflation?

PS - Other parts from the AirFix kit were put on Peco N Gauge chassis with a 40thou (or 60 thou?) floor to make additional wagons of uncertain prototype accuracy - but then it is MY railway ;~)

I'm keeping my eyes & Google open ;-)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello

The  L&B  had  2  cranes  &  one  match  truck.

One  was  permanently  at  Lynton  station  as  a    yard  crane,  the  other  and  match  as  a  travelling  crane  based  at  Pilton  yard,  Barnstaple

Photo  of  crane  at  Lynton:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tF9Gz-gdMxM/S-qOeQOHUjI/AAAAAAAAAIM/t6PTC00mozo/s1600/LB1015.jpg

Photo  of  crane  at  Barnstaple

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tF9Gz-gdMxM/S9QybrRHMjI/AAAAAAAAAHE/aNH2MoJMQE8/s1600/L%26B+Crane+%40Pilton.jpg

Photo  from  Backwoods  minatures  website:

http://www.backwoodsminiatures.com/xcraneset.jpg

There  are  other  photos in  the  various  L&B  books  including  one  of  both  cranes  and  the  match  being  moved  to  Barnstaple  station  for  shipping  out  after  closure,  where  the  two  jibs  were  sharing the  match  truck  one  was  too  high  and  struck  the  footbridge  at  a  crossing.

The  quarry  example  I  can  only  remember  as  a  magazine  article,  I  think  it  was  in  Wales  somewhere  with  the  derelict  remains  still  being present  in  the  1970's.

Pete