Can you identify these Arnold signals?

TEAMYAKIMA

I'm trying to sell some random stuff on ebay on behalf of Twickenham MRC and I've come across a box of these Arnold N gauge signals.

Can anyone suggest a catalogue number? Description? Pupose? They came in a box marked Arnold 0551 but when I googled that someting quite different appeared. Can anyone help please?

post-4476-0-40464600-1517994005_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I cannot help you with the Arnold models but I can tell you what they are. The signals are Gleissperrsignale.

They are used on the Deutsches Bundesbahn as shunting signals. Sometimes they were placed low down and near the ground and sometimes they were on masts as these are.

In the mast form they often acted as the equivalent of a starting signal from a goods road or siding.

Unfortunately unless your signals actually move they are all in the "off" position meaning that a train is authorised to pass them.

Just for information they effectively functioned like a British banner repeater but the whole face (which was enamelled metal) rotated. 

Given that German railways used right hand running the signals were placed to the right of the track so that the signals as depicted are showing an upper quadrant clear

rather than a lower quadrant indication (as would be assumed by some-one familiar with British signals).

I wish you luck in selling them and if you want more info I could probably supply it although my German is self taught and not very good!

Ian T

I can only recollect these being available in a signs and signals set (including railway and road signs), cat number of my set is 0606, but another variant was 6060.

I suggest you market these as 'Arnold shunting signal' - plastic non working '

They are definitely fixed not movable