Won, but never arrived; now relisted.

88D

Last year I won a kit-built loco. It never arrived, despite assertions that it had been sent and GPO (showing my age there) checking it’s whereabouts. Got a full refund, but now note it is back up for auction with the same seller! Not bidding this time, and have severe doubts it was ever posted. Anybody else suffer from a similar situation?

Had this happen to me not long ago , won a brand new Hornby blue and grey express parcels mk1 full brake for £6.20 plus post and that never arrived.

Funnily enough it was relisted by the same seller within a week , he is not a dealer , I suppose he wanted more money and the auction I won wasn't enough .

I got my refund but it still left a sour taste . Couldn't be bothered to report it, eBay has lots of dodgy sellers AND buyers and they really don't seem interested.

Chalk it up to experience.

I bought a switch for the car a few years ago. Seller claimed that it was returned 'address not found', which was the biggest load of bull I had ever heard because I have lived here for years & bought loads from ebay before & since without any problems.

I offered to collect & heard nothing further.

• RMweb Gold

If you don't mind getting a negative you could always bid an outrageous amount close to auction end to make sure you win it.  Then not pay for it. eg say there's a problem with your paypal account you didn't know about until after the end of auction.

Edited by Metr0Land

Royal Mails tracking system is far from fool proof and parcels can take a long time to be returned.

I recently received one 14 months after despatch, although that one was to Australia. Tracking still shows it as being in the system.

Edited by Crosland

If you don't mind getting a negative you could always bid an outrageous amount close to auction end to make sure you win it.  Then not pay for it. eg say there's a problem with your paypal account you didn't know about until after the end of auction.

Sellers can't leave a buyer a neg. Your revenge idea is a nice one.

• RMweb Premium

Sellers can't leave a buyer a neg. Your revenge idea is a nice one.

Are you sure?

I have never received a negative buyer comment, but I have a fist full of positive ones.  So is the option to leave a positive or nothing at all?

The item was sold again, but immediately relisted on ‘Buy it now’, and has gone for £3 more than I won it for last year! As many of you say, these non-delivery situations are very hard to prove unless parcels are tracked (this wasn’t). I’m glad that eBay is pushing for postage tracking on these high value items, and wish it had been in place on this purchase. Hey ho, onwards and upwards; but I won’t buy from him again

• RMweb Premium

Even then, a buyer can just say "I'm really sorry, it got ruined", if you've had a refund what can anyone do? They can't force a buyer to send you an item they may (genuinely) no longer have.

As you say - ignore the seller and hope to find things elsewhere!

Had this happen to me not long ago , won a brand new Hornby blue and grey express parcels mk1 full brake for £6.20 plus post and that never arrived.

Funnily enough it was relisted by the same seller within a week , he is not a dealer , I suppose he wanted more money and the auction I won wasn't enough .

I got my refund but it still left a sour taste . Couldn't be bothered to report it, eBay has lots of dodgy sellers AND buyers and they really don't seem interested.

Chalk it up to experience.

I agree. Unless there has been an attempt to defraud or someone has demonstrably lost money as a direct result of an ebay transaction, ebay are just not interested. For them it is easier just to issue a refund than to decide on the merits of any individual case. They are much harder on commercial sellers but they can amass a lot of bad publicity very quickly and that definitely affects sales.

It does pay to look at a seller's feedback. If it is based on only a few sales then that seller is more likely to 'change their mind' or indeed get a bit put off by it not being a good experience for them.

I think ebay these days more directly reflects the modern selling environment than it used to. Most retailers would agree that much the same happens in retail shops.

Royal Mails tracking system is far from fool proof [snip]

Recently I bought 3 new coaches from Hattons that were sent Royal Mail Priority Airmail or something similar.  I was given a tracking number that never even made it onto Royal Mail's computer.  I did receive the coaches as ordered, I am happy to say.

. I’m glad that eBay is pushing for postage tracking on these high value items, and wish it had been in place on this purchase. Hey ho, onwards and upwards; but I won’t buy from him again

This will have the effect of increasing the postage paid by buyers on low value items. The easy way to check out the cheats is to ask for a copy of proof of postage. Ojn the other hand just leave negative feedback and get on with life

This is what I try and do

Anything under £20 goes normal and I get a certificate of posting,

Over £25 and under £50 I charge a £1 more postage and send recorded,

For items which start just below £50 I charge a couple of £'s extra but send special delivery,

Anything which I listed under £50 and makes over £55 I am happy to pay the extra for special delivery

If I end up charging too much postage I send a refund, its more important to me to do the correct thing. What others do is up to them

• Like 2

This will have the effect of increasing the postage paid by buyers on low value items. The easy way to check out the cheats is to ask for a copy of proof of postage. Ojn the other hand just leave negative feedback and get on with life

This is what I try and do

Anything under £20 goes normal and I get a certificate of posting,

Over £25 and under £50 I charge a £1 more postage and send recorded,

For items which start just below £50 I charge a couple of £'s extra but send special delivery,

Anything which I listed under £50 and makes over £55 I am happy to pay the extra for special delivery

If I end up charging too much postage I send a refund, its more important to me to do the correct thing. What others do is up to them

Well, John, this seems a good regime to me. As a very contented buyer from you in the past, I hasten to add that you are definitely not on my list of ‘watch out for him’!

Well, John, this seems a good regime to me. As a very contented buyer from you in the past, I hasten to add that you are definitely not on my list of ‘watch out for him’!

Thanks

I think !! but please do not stop looking out as the misses and daughter are on my case (and they are probably correct) thinking I am a bit of a hoarder. Having a big clear out. 

Just rescued a Slaters 7 mm scale LMS Flatiron in need of wheels, motor and gears and a repaint to ease the pain

• RMweb Premium

Recently I bought 3 new coaches from Hattons that were sent Royal Mail Priority Airmail or something similar.  I was given a tracking number that never even made it onto Royal Mail's computer.  I did receive the coaches as ordered, I am happy to say.

Not a Royal Mail problem.

I had a delivery sent early to mid December by Hattons.  I allowed around 10 days with Xmas coming up and when the parcel had not arrived I checked the tracking number to be informed that the number did not exist.  This of course set the rabbits running, so I contacted Hattons who told me that they do not actually use tracking for international deliveries.  Needless to say the parcel turned up during the exchange of messages.

To be honest I can understand why Hattons don't use tracking (even if I cannot understand why they issue a number).  I have had parcels delivered to the South of France that are shown as still being at Roissy (Sorting office at Paris airport) and have apparently remained there for several more days.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just moved to using shutl by ebay, it’s hermes (I know people don’t like it)..

But it’s £1 odd cheaper than royal mail, more competitive on larger items, but the three big bonuses are not having to write lots of addresses, wait in line at the post office which meticulously measures and weighs each parcel.. even if the 10-20 i’m Posting are identical, and the tracking number automatically goes to ebay and the seller.

It’s saving me hours literally ! Hours !

• Like 1

I had a delivery sent early to mid December by Hattons.  I allowed around 10 days with Xmas coming up and when the parcel had not arrived I checked the tracking number to be informed that the number did not exist.  This of course set the rabbits running, so I contacted Hattons who told me that they do not actually use tracking for international deliveries.  Needless to say the parcel turned up during the exchange of messages.

So where did you get the tracking number from? Did Hattons just make it up?