Modelling the railways of East Anglia in 4mm scale

With agreement of Andy, the attached document was started over ten years ago as a simple shopping list for my planned 4mm model of Colchester. With the help of a number of people, some well known on this Forum, the document has grown and we hope it will be of value to others.

Any comments and additional information most welcome.

Paul

Modelling the railways of East Anglia in 4mm Scale Issue 7.1 February 2018.pdf

Modelling_the_railways_of_East_Anglia_in_4mm_Scale_Issue_8_February_2021_final.pdf

Edited by PaulG
2021 edition added
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Very interesting document I've only had a cursory glance as I'm currently on a train rather aptly on the GE mainline!

I didn't realise Norwich ever had a toffee Apple on its books D5500 shown 1962

Also some additional stock was the class 120 dmu these worked some cross country services to Norwich from the mid 60s to late 80s and were sometimes used on local services round Norfolk I've seen a picture of an all blue one at cromer

Class 05 diesels were also on the books of both Melton and Yarmouth beach, a pair each I believe.

Great piece of work and a great resource for me as I model 1960s East Anglia

• 2 years later...

We have now had most of the Christmas/New Year announcements from the model manufacturers, so with the help of a number of members of the GERS - some of whom are here - attached is the 2021 updated document.

As usual, any comments errors and omissions most welcome.

Paul

Modelling_the_railways_of_East_Anglia_in_4mm_Scale_Issue_8_February_2021_final.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

7 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Paul, did you get my message with the attached file of my 'favourites' that contain many East Anglian references? I have no apparent way of checking that it actually got sent to you.

Stewart

Hi Stewart

I can't recall receiving it; over the last few months I'm pleased to say a few GERS members have sent me updates. Perhaps you would be kind enough to send again,  and I usually acknowledge all emails.

Paul

21 minutes ago, PaulG said:

Hi Stewart

I can't recall receiving it; over the last few months I'm pleased to say a few GERS members have sent me updates. Perhaps you would be kind enough to send again,  and I usually acknowledge all emails.

Paul

Attached here. If anybody else wants to see it they might as well kook.

GER Models 4mm list.docx

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

Modern motive power

Class 88 - Dapol (I believe.)

beast66606

I've had a search on Dapol website and Hattons and can't find a 4mm Class 88 any other thoughts?

Second question, as I know nothing of railways post 1970, did they/do they, operate in East Anglia on a regular basis; i.e. in "old speak" would they be considered allocated to East Anglia, rather than just occasionally passing through?

Paul

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PaulG said:

beast66606

I've had a search on Dapol website and Hattons and can't find a 4mm Class 88 any other thoughts?

Second question, as I know nothing of railways post 1970, did they/do they, operate in East Anglia on a regular basis; i.e. in "old speak" would they be considered allocated to East Anglia, rather than just occasionally passing through?

Paul

Hi Paul - sorry I don't keep up with modelling, I googled but probably got a hit with a wish list rather than an actual model, sorry.

They are infrequent visitors but still worth a mention imho, they're not really passing through as they go to Norwich and hang around there for a while before heading off again.

• Thanks 1

Flicking through the updated document I notice there's a reference to a photo of 4MT 76041 at Epping/Ongar! Does anyone have the source for the photo, would love to see it.  

My thanks as well for keeping this document up to date, I find it extremely useful. 

Edited by NXEA!

17 hours ago, PaulG said:

We have now had most of the Christmas/New Year announcements from the model manufacturers, so with the help of a number of members of the GERS - some of whom are here - attached is the 2021 updated document.

As usual, any comments errors and omissions most welcome.

Paul

Modelling_the_railways_of_East_Anglia_in_4mm_Scale_Issue_8_February_2021_final.pdf 4.15 MB · 22 downloads

Paul,

I believe Rumney Models produce some detailed 4mm chassis kits for a number of other manufacturers' GER kits.

http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Paul,

I believe Rumney Models produce some detailed 4mm chassis kits for a number of other manufacturers' GER kits.

http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/

Hi Jol

Thank you for your comment we will try to watch Rumner Models for new items..

In the new 2021 document we have noted at present:

1.7.15 Rumney Models

X.01 LNER F4/5/6 2-4-2T chassis – £32

The chassis is designed to provide a modern etched sprung chassis for the Alan Gibson kit and features built in CSB suspension along with brake gear, cosmetic driving wheel springs, ashpan detailing, guard irons and balance weights.

X.08 GER S23 Tender Underframe

X.09 GER Z14 Tender Underframe

These two tender kits compliment the J15 loco chassis but of course can find a home behind other loco types.

Regards

Paul

18 hours ago, NXEA! said:

Flicking through the updated document I notice there's a reference to a photo of 4MT 76041 at Epping/Ongar! Does anyone have the source for the photo, would love to see it.  

My thanks as well for keeping this document up to date, I find it extremely useful. 

I started the document some twenty years ago when returning to model railways and it started life as a "wish list" of models to purchase for my c1955 Colchester layout. It was and still is a "dumping" ground for all those bits of useful information you see and have no idea where to file them! I'll check, but guess 76041 is one of those bits of "useful" information! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul, much appreciated. Likewise, I found a rare photo of 72009 at Liverpool Street next to a Britannia on the 'net not too long ago but can't find it for the life of me now! Don't suppose you know said photo? 

Edited by NXEA!

9 hours ago, NXEA! said:

Thanks Paul, much appreciated. Likewise, I found a rare photo of 72009 at Liverpool Street next to a Britannia on the 'net not too long ago but can't find it for the life of me now! Don't suppose you know said photo? 

I published this article in the GERS Journal some years ago, is this the one you mean?

Paul

GERS_Journal_article_on_Clan_on_GE.pdf

• RMweb Gold

Just to add my comments, Paul. 

As a newly converted enthusiast to ex~GER branchlines and one who is about to embark on a new layout, thank you for producing this document. 

It's certainly proved very useful. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...