LNER GC B3 Lord Faringdon class

DCB

I am interested in the LNER ex GC B3 Lord Faringdon class.

Robinson's 4 cylinder 4-6-0s later designated B3 by the LNER  were the GCs most powerful passenger locos on a tractive effort basis, only six were made and they seem to have a poor reputation.

In 1923 when the LNER was formed Robinson was offered the CME job but declined in favour of Herbert (Nigel) Gresley.

When formed the LNER had two Gresley A1 pacifics and 5 (?) Raven A2 pacifics  and the next most powerful and modern express locos were the 6 B3s.  The B3s were therefore rapidly transferred to Kings Cross for GN line services.  It is said they were unsuccessful yet they seem to have remained on heavy Leeds services until 1927 by which time I believe 40 A1 class pacifics were in service.

It is said the Ivatt Atlantics were superior to the B3 yet it is also reported the original Ivatt 251 class did not steam particularly well until rebuilt by Gresley with 32 element superheaters from 1922 onwards.

On returning to GC metals it seems three B3s were at Neasden and two were rostered to heavy overnight passenger trains to Manchester, the implication being this was a secondary duty yet elsewhere I read that at this time the heavy GC overnight Newspaper train was one of the most tightly timed trains in the UK. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of further info on these locos and the services they operated. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am interested in the LNER ex GC B3 Lord Faringdon class.

Robinson's 4 cylinder 4-6-0s later designated B3 by the LNER  were the GCs most powerful passenger locos on a tractive effort basis, only six were made and they seem to have a poor reputation.

In 1923 when the LNER was formed Robinson was offered the CME job but declined in favour of Herbert (Nigel) Gresley.

When formed the LNER had two Gresley A1 pacifics and 5 (?) Raven A2 pacifics  and the next most powerful and modern express locos were the 6 B3s.  The B3s were therefore rapidly transferred to Kings Cross for GN line services.  It is said they were unsuccessful yet they seem to have remained on heavy Leeds services until 1927 by which time I believe 40 A1 class pacifics were in service.

It is said the Ivatt Atlantics were superior to the B3 yet it is also reported the original Ivatt 251 class did not steam particularly well until rebuilt by Gresley with 32 element superheaters from 1922 onwards.

On returning to GC metals it seems three B3s were at Neasden and two were rostered to heavy overnight passenger trains to Manchester, the implication being this was a secondary duty yet elsewhere I read that at this time the heavy GC overnight Newspaper train was one of the most tightly timed trains in the UK. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of further info on these locos and the services they operated. 

Hello David,

you can find a fair bit of information in various publications, to name but a few - "J . G. Robinson. A lifetime's work", Jackson, D., 1996, "Great Central Steam", Tuplin, W. A., 1967 and there's an interesting account of the standard vs. Caprotti valved engine performances over the London Extension in "Essays in steam", Clay, J. F., 1970.

General consensus seems to be that they had performance issues in the ashpan and cylinder steam passages - breathing problems and coal consumption no less. Otherwise they lasted for 30 years putting in good service from what I gather. The more numerous but otherwise very similar B7 was probably more interesting in that having smaller diameter driving wheels the ashpan airflow was improved. I'm no authority on the subject but Gresley's A1s also had high coal consumption until long-travel valves replaced short-travel versions and Gresley's experimentation with Caprotti valvegear reduced coal consumption on the B3. 

Here's an unusual angle on the prototype locomotive, without doubt a handsome machine.

post-25546-0-40055200-1520205329_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I would definitely recommend reading the Oakwood Press Biography on Robinson, most older publications seem to have much misinformation on Robinson's 4-6-0s and it seems to be as bad as publications on Edward Thompson; I'd say also look into the Yeadons and RCTS Green Books relating to class but be wary towards any information relating to performance!