APCM Ltd Box Van ?

slilley

Is anyone able to shed some light as to what this is?

It seems to have APCM Ltd on it in the bottom left had corner, and I am trying to work out what the logo in the middle says. 

Picture dates from early 1960s

One of the 96 vans built by Standard wagon for APCM in 1964 http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/apcmvan 

It appears brand new in the photo

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Informative/Useful 1

I know this photo is a bit ropey, being one of the first I ever took with my cheap plastic camera; but if you look carefully you can see a couple of vans in the middle of this Uddingston - Cliffe cement empties passing Barkston in 1968. 

post-4474-0-55050500-1518278911_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I seem to remember seeing this still in traffic in the mid-late 1970s, being loaded at one of the many cement works along the Medway valley.

I believed they worked from Swanscombe, and possibly other locations in Kent. When APCM finished with them, the bodies were removed from some, and new box bodies fitted. There was was one medium height open, which saw service as an aggregate wagon (though some worked on Dolomite traffic):- http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rlsaggregatepma

Another type will be familiar to those taking an interest in either the West Country or the West Highland:- http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/chinaclaypra

I believe there was a high-sided open without a tarpaulin, but haven't found a photo yet.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Easily "replicated" in 00 (to my "if it looks like a duck" standards anyway) using a Bachamm TTA underframe , doors from a Parkside vanwide VWV van and some plasticard / plastruct ............... rear left below in construction

attachicon.gifDSC03978.JPG

I'm not disparaging your excellent rendition, but I thought origin of the chassis would be more of a cut and shut VAA family derivative with Stenson Models brake levers.

Any thoughts anyone?

Mike.

• Agree 1

I'm not disparaging your excellent rendition, but I thought origin of the chassis would be more of a cut and shut VAA family derivative with Stenson Models brake levers.

Any thoughts anyone?

Mike.

Well I've thought about it - briefly (the big barrier being lettering once you've finished) - but I'd be inclined to start from scratch altogether. The solebars are simple channel rather than the fabricated girder sections you find with both monobloc tanks and the AB vans. The brake fittings don't look much like what was fitted to either, not that this matters overmuch. The vanwide doors would be the only difficult bit and Parkside make those nice and simple. Ditto the brake levers, as you say, from Stenson. The suspension is pretty chunky, more so even that the monobloc tanks. Does anyone do the like?

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Well I've thought about it - briefly (the big barrier being lettering once you've finished) - but I'd be inclined to start from scratch altogether. The solebars are simple channel rather than the fabricated girder sections you find with both monobloc tanks and the AB vans. The brake fittings don't look much like what was fitted to either, not that this matters overmuch. The vanwide doors would be the only difficult bit and Parkside make those nice and simple. Ditto the brake levers, as you say, from Stenson. The suspension is pretty chunky, more so even that the monobloc tanks. Does anyone do the like?

Adam

Funnily enough I thought the lettering was the easy bit, a few pictures and measurements to that nice Steve at Rail-Tec and Bob is as usual.

As for the suspension, I'm sure the UIC style will be along in the not too distant future.

Mike.

• 2 years later...
28 minutes ago, Hump Shunter said:

From that (above) to this at Holborough 31st August 1986.

red_6260_APCM_PVV_Holborough-31-08-1986.jpg

Ouch! That's a bit graphic. I hope the moderators are happy with this display of wanton destruction. 

• Funny 3

Ends from a Parkside Palvan kit.

Outer side sections have flat bracing in the Vanwide kit and the corrugated end wrap round section too.

You could use the whole Vanwide sides perhap if you removed and replaced the detail on the panel either side of door, but making your own may be easier

Andy

Edited by SM42

On 11/02/2018 at 08:37, Adam said:

Adam

The chassis for the APCM PALVAN already exists in model form - http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/60416/SB007A-PRA-38-Tonne-glw-Covered-Box-Wagon-number-RLS6313

These wagons were built on chassis recovered from the APCM vans.

It is my understanding that the manufacturers / commissioners of these wagons are not interested in producing the APCM vans using the existing chassis. Is it time to let them know the level of demand that there would be for an RTR APCM PALVAN?

John Isherwood.

4 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

The chassis for the APCM PALVAN already exists in model form - http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/60416/SB007A-PRA-38-Tonne-glw-Covered-Box-Wagon-number-RLS6313

These wagons were built on chassis recovered from the APCM vans.

It is my understanding that the manufacturers / commissioners of these wagons are not interested in producing the APCM vans using the existing chassis. Is it time to let them know the level of demand that there would be for an RTR APCM PALVAN?

John Isherwood.

An expensive start point if you want to try and scratch build a PVV using the Kernow chassis. I've already enquired about the availability of a chassis only. Unfortunately not available. The chassis on the existing model is quite basic.