APCM Ltd Box Van ?

slilley

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

I have drawings and loads of photographs of the two preserved vans, if that's any use to you.

Bob

Oh yes, that would be really great. Thank you very much for the offer, much appreciated. I have been going on what shots I have found on the web plus the drawings in the diagram book from Barrowmore MRG. I'd just like a couple to run a later period sequence on here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/147403-priory-road-north-east-essex-in-br-days/&do=findComment&comment=3770192

Izzy (another Bob)

42 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Oh yes, that would be really great. Thank you very much for the offer, much appreciated. I have been going on what shots I have found on the web plus the drawings in the diagram book from Barrowmore MRG. I'd just like a couple to run a later period sequence on here:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/147403-priory-road-north-east-essex-in-br-days/&do=findComment&comment=3770192

Izzy (another Bob)

PM me your email address and I'll start sending what I think might be useful.

Bob

Just a quick follow-up.

Although PVV cement vans are best known for their frequent appearances on the Cliffe-Uddingston circuit workings, they did travel to other destinations by ordinary freight trains. A photograph in Colin Gifford's 2019 book Transition shows a pair of newish-looking Blue Circle PVVs in the consist of an 8F-hauled mixed freight making its way southwards along the Midland main line through Chesterfield in 1966. The junction with the Hope Valley line (serving the huge APCM plant at Hope) is just to the north. The other vehicles visible are 12T vans and bogie bolsters loaded with girders.

I don't want to post the photograph, for obvious reasons but is shows that there are likely to be many options for the bagged cement van.

Has anyone else seen images of PVVs elsewhere?

Bob

• Informative/Useful 3

The vans did occasionally work to the Aberthaw and Rhoose cement works in South Wales, certainly during the 1970s either singly or in very short rakes. They delivered bagged cement, such as Snowcrete, Walcrete and some coloured varieties, from Snodland, Swanscombe and Northfleet. It had ceased by 1982.

Hywel

• Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm currently applying transfers to my 2mm version, the very nice ones produced by John Isherwood of CCT transfers, and I would be grateful is someone could just confirm what I suspect regarding numbering.  Two sets of numbers are provided for early and late versions, e.g. BV 043 or BV 6243.  I presume these are pre and post TOPS? I want to run mine as from when they first arrived in 1964 so will use the first, but would just like to know when they changed.

Many thanks,

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Here is a shot of my completed 2mm PVV.

814016098_RMwebPVV01.jpg.6a403a9dc0a4480f709f21706055b3b9.jpg

It can't of course begin to match the quality that will be possible with the 4mm etchings but I am satisfied with how it has turned out. I am grateful to @RBAGE for so generously providing photos and drawings he has produced to aid it’s construction. The transfers are from CCT, sheet BL180. There are enough for 5 vans. Although I originally thought about having two of these vans, reading that they ran singly and having scratchbuilt it I will stick at one for the present. Another can always be made at a later date should I desire but one seems sufficient at present for my small cement siding and store. An account of it’s construction is in my 2mm layout thread for anyone interested.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/147403-priory-road-north-east-essex-in-br-days/page/5/&tab=comments#comment-4007156

Izzy

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

29 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Here is a shot of my completed 2mm PVV.

814016098_RMwebPVV01.jpg.6a403a9dc0a4480f709f21706055b3b9.jpg

That is very nice indeed - I really don't know how you 2mm. scale chaps do it !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

29 minutes ago, Izzy said:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

How many bags deep could you stack cement on the van floor before you overloaded it?

My back hurts just thinking about it!

Wouldn't a 6-wheeler have been a better idea for such a heavy product ?

I suspect the majority of product carried would have been Snowcem and similar in drums, rather than bagged cement. I spent a few months unloading VTG F1 ferry-vans carrying bagged plaster of Paris. These were  60 kg bags, stacked about 8 high, giving about 65 tonnes per wagon. In theory, they were palletized, but it was before the days of plastic wrapping, so each bag was hand-balled.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

65 tonnes in a 4-wheel van is quite some axle load.

I don't suppose you went to the gym after a day's work- there's a lot to be said for pallets, palvans, and fork lift trucks!

They were bogie vans...Had no need for a gym, and generated so much heat that I worked outdoors in a tee-shirt. The bags had been loaded on pallets, but weren't secured, so crossing from Zeebrugge to Harwich in the winter soon dislodged them. Opening the sliding sides for the first time was 'interesting', as you couldn't tell what was behind.

On 07/06/2020 at 09:32, RBAGE said:

Has anyone else seen images of PVVs elsewhere?

Certainly have! In episode 5 of series 1 of Minder (The Bounty Hunter featuring Derek Jacobi as the wrong un) near the end of the episode Terry has cause to jump off of a bridge on the West Way onto a lorry load of cardboard boxes (don't ask). In the background trundling its merry way down the West London Extension line is a mixed freight and, in amongst the presflos, tubes and such, are 2 PVVs. Interestingly it looks like the presflos are carrying Rugby Cement logos. The official Minder website (on which there is a still of said train with the 2PVVs clearly visible) states the episode was filmed April/May 1979......

Just thought I'd mention it.

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The 4mm version is progressing, here are a couple of pics of the last test build. I've tweaked a few things and ordered another test etch. Once I get that I'll start a new thread on the build.

_MG_6845b.jpg.65e4c7aa41dc0dc8b4ad9779fd97201f.jpg

_MG_6846b.jpg.1c9baf4c9e8efdfaf69a9292ffa17b6e.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of the previous build. The decals are from Cambridge Custom Transfers.

_MG_6574b.jpg.469b18421a059574cb7e97704585fb81.jpg

_MG_6571b.jpg.dba14ec6249356bbd9e5da2b4e37b388.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I have finished painting the latest test build, the brass one from the post above, here are a few photos.

_MG_6877b.jpg.3b6589ac8f40eb979ebf2c439fe1be68.jpg

_MG_6879b.jpg.0a93c627623a231ec89139990f09b550.jpg

_MG_6883b.jpg.718321f065a0e5addcdb4c8c9da9a42f.jpg

The springs are a commission from Justin at Rumney models, buffers and vac pipe are from Dave Franks at LMS models.

Ian

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 30/05/2020 at 16:09, Izzy said:

Some lucky 4mm modellers out there..... I'm trying to make a couple of these in 2mm for my little layouts cement facility and have just found this thread. Mine are being done from scratch, (won't reach this quality!), no choice really. Will look forward to seeing these when assembled.

Izzy

I've finally started a thread on this van with the final test build for those that are interested.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

That does look very nice. I fact, I'd go as far as "smashing". Lovely job.

How far are you from having kits for sale?

I'll have 6 to start with so I'll get my order in sharpish, while stock last. I've convinced the wife and kits to buy me 6 for Christmas, which leaves my pockets in tact so I can buy more, later.

Should I start whipping the money in now?

6 of these will look great at the head of a train of Accurascale cemflos. Twelve would look better.

Thanks,

Bob