APCM Ltd Box Van ?

slilley

19 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I would also imagine the chassis would have undergone reasonably big changes when going from VB to AB, and maybe alterations to suit the differing requirements of a hopper?

Mike.

There is a thread elsewhere on the site which shows the underside of the chassis. I don't know if the prototype PRA chassis is so uncomplicated. If it lacks any significant detail than the model manufacturer has done a good job. It certainly looks nothing like the underside of the preserved PVV's.1701336931_BV-625329.jpg.e2f34f764a71fa2af12fc20fb4b3bd7d.jpg1680682330_BV-625331.jpg.ecf88b2a3aa44b59aede9aec577e6521.jpg180658072_BV-625328.jpg.661c8222bf08e8393fda75b822d4c2e3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If you wait a little while you can have an etched metal one. Here is a photo of the first set of test etches, I just need some time to build it.

_MG_5758b.jpg.1d3eba5c1411cd600e2edf46c202698d.jpg

Ian

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

49 minutes ago, macgeordie said:

If you wait a little while you can have an etched metal one. Here is a photo of the first set of test etches, I just need some time to build it.

Ian

Oh! What a lovely surprise.

It looks very beautiful.

Bob

1 hour ago, RBAGE said:

Oh! What a lovely surprise.

I expect to see a rake of ten running round the Old Newton Hall Curve withing a week of the production version hitting the streets.

P

Will the chassis etches be available separately for anyone who might want to build the various opens that used them.  These were designated POA and PSA, if my memory is correct, and formed part of RLS's fleet. They worked on aggregate traffic around the Peak District, magnesium limestone from Ferryhill to Scotland, and scrap traffic. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You kept that quiet!!

Mike.

You know me Mike, I usually have a couple of projects in the pipeline. :-)

Ian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Nice one Ian.

You've done all the graft so I'll expect one to appear from the big boys within a couple of years.

P

I don’t think it will be that long Paul, they usually only wait a couple of months!!!!

Ian

• Funny 1

50 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

To help me gauge my requirements and help put fuel in Ian's Bentley!,, how many, sort of averagely ish, of these vans would be in a train?

Mike.

I'm putting half a dozen in my rake of Cemflos.

• Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

how many, sort of averagely ish, of these vans would be in a train?

I've seen pics of them singly on the ECML, in two's and threes,  block trains and then there's john Boyes stuff of course. You'll have seen this.  https://flic.kr/p/25gqHqm

I'm still pretty convinced that they were not (in the main) used for bagged products but more to transfer bags from there own bag & printing works to the Uddingston bagging plant. I recon their core traffic would have been the drummed product as advertised on the doors.

Edited by Porcy Mane
Normal stupidity.

55 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

To help me gauge my requirements and help put fuel in Ian's Bentley!,, how many, sort of averagely ish, of these vans would be in a train?

Mike.

I count about 14.Ferryhill.jpg.eb65479a185bc2199232d79050156869.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I've seen pics of them singly on the ECML, in two's and threes,  block trains and then there's john Boyes stuff of course. You'll have seen this.  https://flic.kr/p/25gqHqm

I'm still pretty convinced that they were not (in the main) used for bagged products but more to transfer bags from there own bag & printing works to the Uddingston bagging plant. I recon their core traffic would have been the drummed product as advertised on the doors.

On the photo at Ferryhill, do you suppose the 14 vans would replace cemflos or be in addition?

I think there were 26 cemflos in the train involved in the Thirsk accident. If this is about the normal size of the train and extra 14 vans would make a train that not many would be able to run.

25 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

I count about 14.

But never more than 96 eh?

and how many are in front of the Brake?

Duuno where this pic came from so I'll remove if it offends.

60846-Cemflos-inverSm.jpg.3d355ba3bba4ed6d73a83d725bfe5bab.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

16 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

I think there were 26 cemflos in the train involved in the Thirsk accident.

I'm Currently looking at a pic of a Single 33 under Holgate bridge and it's got 34 (Empties) on.

That';; be Silver Queens.

9 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

But never more than 96 eh?

and how many are in front of the Brake?

Duuno were this pic came from so I'll remove if it offends.

60846-Cemflos-inverSm.jpg.3d355ba3bba4ed6d73a83d725bfe5bab.jpg

Lovely shot. Inverkeithing?

3 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I'm Currently looking at a pic of a Single 33 under Holgate bridge and it's got 34 (Empties) on.

That';; be Silver Queens.

I can only get 26 in the loop at Newton Hall Junction so don't give me 34.

• RMweb Gold

Half a dozen it is then, then if/when the worst comes to the worst and Accurascale release the next tranche of Cemflos I cann have three in both the up and down working!

This 'ere lockdown would have been the perfect opportunity to work my way through my macgeordie stash, but being in the wrong place has put paid to that idea!

Mike.

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

This 'ere lockdown would have been the perfect opportunity to work my way through my macgeordie stash ......

That's what has occurred to me - but the pair of Airfix 2Ps that needed Comet chassis, and the Kitmaster Midland Pullman rake that needed painting and finishing, got there first !

After they're done - and it seems that we will have plenty more social distancing time yet - the macgeordie gloat box will have the dust blown off it.

John Isherwood.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Does anyone have any information about how widespread the use of these wagons was?

There are images here that show the vans as part of a train of cemflos on the ECML. A single attachment on cemflos in Scotland, bound for the ECML, probably. But is there any evidence that they were used in block trains on their own or as part of trains other than cemflos?

- Were they incorporated into cement trains ( eg. presflo)?

- Did they operate on lines other than ECML?

- If only ECML, what was the purpose/reason for there operation?

- Might they have been operated singly or in short rakes, on their own?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 01/05/2020 at 12:54, macgeordie said:

Ian

Some lucky 4mm modellers out there..... I'm trying to make a couple of these in 2mm for my little layouts cement facility and have just found this thread. Mine are being done from scratch, (won't reach this quality!), no choice really. Will look forward to seeing these when assembled.

Izzy

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Izzy said:

Some lucky 4mm modellers out there..... I'm trying to make a couple of these in 2mm for my little layouts cement facility and have just found this thread. Mine are being done from scratch, (won't reach this quality!), no choice really. Will look forward to seeing these when assembled.

Izzy

I have drawings and loads of photographs of the two preserved vans, if that's any use to you.

Bob