Can Anyone ID This Train?

Sir TophamHatt

After typing in a huge amount of key words and being unsuccessful, I was going to describe this from memory - something like a Class 60, but red/orange colour with a white roof.

However, after typing in words for another train, I managed to find this loco.

The words from the photo don't seem to be what the actual loco is.

Locomotiva-Ferrovie-Tedesche-Db-Lima-Ho-

It's from here: https://picclick.it/Locomotiva-Ferrovie-Tedesche-Db-Lima-Ho-Diesel-Come-253292175734.html

Can anyone tell me?

Ha ha, considering I hadn't seen my grandfathers model in over 10, maybe even 15 years.

I typed all sorts of things into Google:

German Red Diesel Loco

Red Diesel Loco

Swiss Red Diesel Loco

The same but "orange" instead.

The same but "italian".

Tried DB, OBB, Lima, Peco but nothing would come close :P

Don't worry, I have some coaches I'm looking for.  They're sort of like MK3s but green, probably from Germany.  Those are a significantly less of a memory - I literally have "green coaches like MK3s from the continent" to go on.

Just got to find a supplier of the 2043 now!

• RMweb Gold

Search OBB 2043 as it's Austrian, Roco, is probably the best and there were models by Kleinbahn and Lima too. For the coaches the Roco website / catalogue would be a good place to start.

Edited by PaulRhB

Here's a real one from March 1989 in the same "blood orange" livery as the model.  If nothing else, the "S" type emblem identifies the Austria State Railways (ÖBB).  With the similar 2143 class they were quite widespread in Austria, occasionally crossing into neighbouring countries (as in this shot at Passau in Germany).  Now in sharp decline, many have been sold to private operators.

post-10122-0-70955300-1518262577_thumb.jpg

Agree/confirm etc with previous replies.

It is an Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) class 2043. These locos have very little in common with a Class 60 (wrong size, wrong wheel arrangement, wrong type of diesle (diesel-hydraulic not diesel electric), wrong age (2043 much older than Class 60)! If anything they are more akin to the BR western region Hymeks.

Green coaches to suit this loco wouldn't look much like MkIIIs either I'm afraid.

Suitable coaches for the Class 2043 would be the Swiss design lightweight  ÖBB regional coaches:

Schlieren

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/home/altfelden/schlieren/schlieren.htm

http://www.roco.cc/en/product/234399-0-0-0-0-0-0-003002/products.html

And as seen e.g. in this gallery with 2043/2143s:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vaclavrouca/galleries/72157670297230376/?rb=1

As such this post doesn't actually belong in the Swiss railways sub forum, except for the fact that they can be seen in Switzerland, although not in the ÖBB livery.

viz my shot in 2013 at Olten

http://railfoteurop.piwigo.com/picture?/4871/category/106-lenzburg_aarau_olten

Edited by Gordonwis

I typed all sorts of things into Google:

The same but "orange" instead.

The same but "italian".

Quite a relevant search!  The official colour of this engine is Blutorange and they travelled through Italy as part of an Austrian regional train called a Korridorzug between around 1970 and the early 1990s.

Coaches they hauled on this train, apart from the Schlieren type already mentioned:-

1)  1972 dated photo:  OBB Mitteleinstiegswage x 2 all in green (2 x Roco 45527, new catalogue number release may be available) in tandem with an Italian Aln556 Breda railcar (made by pre-Hornby Rivarossi)

2)  1970 dated photo:  OBB Spantenwagen 4-wheel terraced brake (made by Klein Modellbahn then Roco) attached to a Mitteleinstiegswagen (Roco 45527).  The engine in this photo is green, but there are some 2043 in orange around at this time.

3)  Various photos dated 1974 to 1978:  OBB Leichtschnellzugwagen x 2, always seen in green.  A model has been commissioned and is avaiable from www.memoba.at

4)  Various photos 1978 onwards:  OBB Schlieren in 3 coach sets, often 2 x 2nd class, 1 x 2nd class / brake.  Initially in green or mixed with those of the jaffa livery, but complete jaffa trains seen since 1979.

The train wasn't allowed to stop at stations in Italy, except for operational reasons.

There was another one that was allowed and here's a photo of it at Dobbiaco / Toblach station in Italy.  

http://www.photorail.com/oldies/oldvarie/GBaratella/204348-110981dobbiaco.jpg

This one can be identified, as it has a first class coach, but the Korridorzug was all second.

The station itself is a modelling project of mine that's been at the planning stage for some years now.

In Austria itself, they have hauled 1930s skirted coaches of various types.  They were also used on goods trains, often with OBB wood transport wagons, sometimes even triple headed.

The Lima version of the model that you have is the best one for representing the 2043 as fully modified from the early 1970s and seen until the end of the 1980s, as it has the protruding silver coloured grille on the side of the body and more of the side windows are openable.  The Roco model has the side grille, but less side windows are openable (and it sometimes omits the vertical handrail beneath the front cab window), so it represents a slightly earlier stage of modification, more relevant just for the 1970s.

Edited by Spectacle Plate

• RMweb Premium

Maybe some details about this Austrian engine? It had a 12 cylinder 2-stroke diesel, which I find quite unusual. This engine, manufactured by Jenbach in Tyrol produced 1500BHP. The engine also had 2 other diesel engines on board, one 8 cylinder 2-stroke diesel for the electric generator (quite large as it covers electric train heating) and a 2 cylinder 4-stroke diesel, for compressed air (and starting the main engine)

With an axle pressure of 17 tons it was the perfect machine for secondary lines, especially in the north of Vienna (Weinviertel, Waldviertel). Most of the lines in this area were not electrified as due to the war and after that the iron curtain the economy was on a very low level. 

I own a Roco model of 2034.019 since 2003, it has an ESU sound decoder. The sound is good but the model is very critical concerning electric contact. And it doesn't sound right that the main diesel re-starts at a speed of 50 km/h. 

I own a Roco model of 2034.019 since 2003, it has an ESU sound decoder. The sound is good but the model is very critical concerning electric contact. And it doesn't sound right that the main diesel re-starts at a speed of 50 km/h. 

I had a similar problem with my Roco 2143  fitted with a Zimo decoder sound decoder although the problem may have been different. After oiling the gear cogs the loco ran much smoother. I also had the same problem with a Roco OBB 2016 and it was so bad I returned it to the retailer who exchanged it for a Roco 2067 shunter which a had a 'stay alive' capacitor and ran perfectly. 

I'm afraid I wouldn't buy Roco again after my experience. Shame, because back in the day Roco had the smoothest running locos.

Edited by Alcanman

Klein Modelbahn did a good version of the similar OBB 2143 which was fitted with 2 motors and ran very smoothly. You can probably find a one on ebay.

post-7898-0-45316100-1519066252_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-16496400-1519066277_thumb.jpg

The Roco 2143  is superbly detailed.

post-7898-0-68000800-1519066425_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You can also buy direct from a Austrian dealer (some of them speak English...) and they will load you a sound project on the decoder. I have to check if thete is a free sound project of if you have to pay for it. Cost for that is normally 15 Euro.

If interested send me a pm.

Vecchio