GW & GC Joint Line late 1930s - Coach builds and improvements

I'm in the middle of upgrading the Hornby GW H33 restaurant coach as has been done by several of you on this forum. Using a new Hornby Collett underframe and ends; the sides, roof and interior are from the original. I have some specific questions on the interior detail. If I've missed earlier posts that answered some of the questions I apologise (I did trawl the relevant threads before posting, honestly :) ). Questions all relate to the condition before the 1939 refurb when they got the larger sunshine windows.

- Curtains. Did they have curtains before the 1939 refurb (the photo in GW Coaches Appendix Vol 2 is post refurb)? If so, first or both, and what colours?

- Seat colours for first and third? There's some info in GWCA V2 but nothing specifically about the H33.    

- Did third have table cloths or was it just first?

- Colour of lamp shades in first?

I will post pictures as work progresses.

Thanks

Steve

Edited by scratcher
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 6 months later...

I'm in the middle of upgrading the Hornby GW H33 restaurant coach as has been done by several of you on this forum. Using a new Hornby Collett underframe and ends; the sides, roof and interior are from the original. I have some specific questions on the interior detail. If I've missed earlier posts that answered some of the questions I apologise (I did trawl the relevant threads before posting, honestly :) ). Questions all relate to the condition before the 1939 refurb when they got the larger sunshine windows.

- Curtains. Did they have curtains before the 1939 refurb (the photo in GW Coaches Appendix Vol 2 is post refurb)? If so, first or both, and what colours?

- Seat colours for first and third? There's some info in GWCA V2 but nothing specifically about the H33.    

- Did third have table cloths or was it just first?

- Colour of lamp shades in first?

I will post pictures as work progresses.

Thanks

Steve

After a long gap when a higher priority project took my time (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134314-nucast-lner-a5-4-6-2t-build/), I've started to think about this again. I'm still looking for some answers to the above questions, if anyone is able to help.

Steve 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a long gap when a higher priority project took my time (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134314-nucast-lner-a5-4-6-2t-build/), I've started to think about this again. I'm still looking for some answers to the above questions, if anyone is able to help.

Steve 

Steve,

Do you have access to Great Western Way?

If so I think you will find a lot of that detail there.

Sorry it is not much help but I am in the same boat as you trying to source info.

Khris

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...

Steve,

Do you have access to Great Western Way?

If so I think you will find a lot of that detail there.

Sorry it is not much help but I am in the same boat as you trying to source info.

Khris

Thanks Khris I have ordered a copy.

Steve

• 1 year later...

Finally finished this, other projects bumped it for a while. The biggest inaccuracy is the continuous running board courtesy of the Hornby Collett donor.

IMG_6958.JPG

IMG_6962.JPG

IMG_6967.JPG

IMG_6968.JPG

Edited by scratcher
Re-added pictures
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

2 hours ago, Prometheus said:

The passengers are quite convincing

Thanks, I think they were Bachmann. I can't seem to find a decent set of 1930's attired seated passengers.

2 hours ago, Prometheus said:

Removing the roof-ribs is a faff-and-a-half though!

Yes but worth it. I think the fiddliest thing was the numbering, I can barely see the figures when applying them. Numbers, roundel and lining are Fox, lettering is Pressfix. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• scratcher changed the title to Improving Hornby Restaurant Coach, and other coach builds

I've managed to get a couple of coaches done recently so I thought I'd add them here to keep in one place. 

The K15 is the K's plastic kit. The poor Dean bogies are replaced by American's from MJT, as is second gas cylinder. Dean vacuum cylinder and window grilles from Frogmore. Gas pipes and train alarm gear added. It's useful having the preserved example at Didcot which is only an hour away. They kindly let me round the interior last year.

IMG_7077.JPG

Edited by scratcher
Re-added pictures
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

This is my first attempt at a Gresley coach.  Ian Kirk D212 sides onto a Hornby donor chassis, ends and roof. I know the Hornby chassis is slightly too wide, but personally I think the main visual problem is caused by the low ride height. Fix that with a washer and it looks loads better. Teak finish is the method used by Ian Rathbone, painting the D212 sides was the project I took along to his workshop at the Missenden Modellers Spring Weekend 2020. I used PP Golden Teak mixed with Humbrol 62 as the brown. The colour is a bit on the orange side, next time I will use PP Weathered Teak.  I have two more lined up, a Bill Bedford D114 and a Bill Bedford D144 (which I will make as a D10C).

IMG_7117.JPG

IMG_7122.JPG

Edited by scratcher
Removed pictures
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I picked up a brass part-built GW Monster at a show a couple of years back and finally finished it last month. It was only the chassis/body/ends shell so much scratch building needed. Gas pipes added to roof make a real difference.  Queen posts modelled using split pins. (I do wish someone would make decent GW underframe trussing, of both kinds).

IMG_7071.JPG

Edited by scratcher
Re-added pictures
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 1 month later...

Next project is finished (bar lamp irons). BSL GWR K38, bought part-built as per first picture. I also bought a BSL GWR underframe kit, but only used the truss rods, V-hangers and dynamo in the end, as the battery boxes and vacuum cylinder were too basic. The truss rods needed filing back to 1mm square from 1.5mm square. Battery boxes from Frogmore. Vacuum cylinders and running boards from spares box. Gangways from MJT. Door handles from Bill Bedford etch. End handrails, gangway arms and door grab handles from Hornby Collett. Bogies from Modern Traction Kits but I would avoid in future and use Hornby. Guards footsteps and hand rails from brass wire. Precision paints. The droplights were sprayed before fitting (I use Golden Teak for the colour). Pressfix transfers for lettering and roundel. Fox for numbers and lining.  If I could redo anything I would scribe the doors deeper; by the time three layers of paint are applied they don't show up enough. Maybe applying a black wash can fix that.  

IMG_7135.JPG

IMG_7136.JPG

IMG_7275.JPG

IMG_7276.JPG

Edited by scratcher
Added more build info
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 19/04/2020 at 18:43, scratcher said:

Finally finished this, other projects bumped it for a while. The biggest inaccuracy is the continuous running board courtesy of the Hornby Collett donor.

IMG_6958.JPG

IMG_6962.JPG

IMG_6967.JPG

IMG_6968.JPG

Where did the table lamps come from?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 19/04/2020 at 19:43, scratcher said:

IMG_6958.JPG

IMG_6962.JPG

IMG_6967.JPG

IMG_6968.JPG

Terrific end result

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 months later...

Currently working on a D144 restaurant. Again Hornby donor with Bill Bedford sides, but this time I added a 1mm x 3mm length of brass angle to very the top of the sides, which gives a much better join for the roof.  The heavy duty bogies are Comet brass units with white metal sides, plus the plastic plate with the brake shoes attached from the Hornby ones. Roof ventilators from Mike Trice, pipework layout gleaned from his very useful drawings. Further inspiration from a Steve Banks article in BRM April 1998, and 'Daves C & W Works' and 'Micks 4mm LNER Models' on The LNER Encyclopedia site.

IMG_7860.JPG

IMG_7876.JPG

IMG_7889.JPG

Edited by scratcher
Re-added pictures
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • scratcher changed the title to GW & GC Joint Line late 1930s - Coach builds and improvements
  • 11 months later...

I picked up a nicely built and painted D186 open a few years ago, but it had a poor interior. I've replaced it using 3D-printed seats and tables from floyd-kraemar on eBay. Seat and interior colours based on the example preserved at the NYMR. 

IMG_0674.JPEG

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 10 months later...

It's been a quiet modelling year for me, mainly due to the acquisition of another motorbike, but that should change again as I've recently retired. Over a year ago I bought one of the new Alan Rose / Martin Kirkby 3D printed GCR coach kits, the 60' matchboard brake third. It's finally complete, apart from buffer shanks and heads. It comes with the body, ends and roof pre-assembled, with the chassis pre-assembled, with bogies, and with a nice interior that even has luggage racks. It had a lot of printing lines that were removed as best I could with a fibre glass pen (Alan has since apologised for the lines, apparently mine was not typical). The biggest problem was that it wouldn't go round my 4th radius curves, so I had scrape away some of the chassis beams, quite a fraught operation during which I snapped the chassis in two, but it all worked out in the end. Paint is Precision coach teak over Halfords orange filler primer, applied using Ian Rathbone's technique whereby the teak is thinned and a couple of drops of linseed oil added to make a scumble. Chassis is Halfords matt black, which in reality is more a satin finish. Fox transfers. Handrails and gangway door on the brake end, glazing, corridor handrails and luggage window bars finished it off.

IMG_0537.JPEG

IMG_2283.JPEG

IMG_0559.JPEG

IMG_2256.JPEG

IMG_2275.JPEG

IMG_2281.JPEG

IMG_2277.JPEG

Edited by scratcher
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Lovely result. Amazing how far 3d printing has developed in such a short space of time. I've always thought the late GCR matchboard carriages were very elegant in a simple, robust way- a hallmark of GCR's approach to design under Robinson.

Back in the day I dreamt of representing the GCR/GWR joint, but opted for just the GWR because of the (non) availability of any rtr GCR stock. To think, since then we've had several mainstream rtr GCR locos, and now plastic carriage kits too! I wonder whether a venture into modelling the joint line is in my future!

Will

Edited by Forward!
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Forward! said:

I wonder whether a venture into modelling the joint line is in my future!

Go for it Will 😀.  I think what I like best is that I can legitimately model mainline stock from two very different railways. And I don’t think I would have got round to making loco kits if it wasn’t for the GCR side (I have a separate thread for locos). The downside is that you need a lot of stock! I must have a decade’s worth of kits accumulated. But now I’m retired I might actually complete them.