Hand held controllers

rynd2it

Hi,

I'm looking for reasonably priced hand held controllers that will work with a variety of locos (TBD) that vary from new to old. We have one Gaugemaster but it has a reversing switch instead of a centre off knob. None of us like it very much and prefer the centre off types. It would need to be 16vac input & 12dc output as the transformers are already in place. I did see an old H&M model CUI but it appears to use 12vdc input and the H&M don't get good reviews with modern motors

Suggestions please

David

I think the Morley type is the only really good hand held as it has only a potentiometer and three wires in the hand held and is centre off.   They work brilliantly with all types of motor and regulate the voltage so you can actually test LEDs with them on the lowest settings and allow double heading with dis similar locos like a coreless Hattons 14XX and a Ring Field motor Hornby Dublo Castle.

Downside is the hand held only works with the Morley controller.   and operates the controller quite literally as an alternative to the controller knob through a change over switch.  I use them, what more can I say.

I think the Morley type is the only really good hand held as it has only a potentiometer and three wires in the hand held and is centre off.   They work brilliantly with all types of motor and regulate the voltage so you can actually test LEDs with them on the lowest settings and allow double heading with dis similar locos like a coreless Hattons 14XX and a Ring Field motor Hornby Dublo Castle.

Downside is the hand held only works with the Morley controller.   and operates the controller quite literally as an alternative to the controller knob through a change over switch.  I use them, what more can I say.

If I had known about those before I designed the control panels for the layout, I would probably have gone for them, they have everything I needed (12vdc auxilliary, CDU and hand-helds) Ah well, keep looking I guess.

Thanks for the info, I'm sure this isn't the last layout I work on.

David