BR Milk Train - Dapol Milk Tanks Upgraded

brossard

From what I read, the errors were made before Lionheart came on board.  Not sure who the designer you refer to is.  My suspicion is the design was supposed to suit everyone and, as so often happens, ended up satisfying no-one.  I think in the beginning Dapol didn't quite grasp how discerning 7mm modellers are.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the link and info.

You've done some good work - gone above and beyond in fact.

I always hope that RTR manufacturers will make an accurate model for a fair price that can be detailed or run as is relative to ones needs/wants. Summing up the Dapol 6W Tanks were a curate's egg, but you've done a good job of fettling the model.

Was it still easier than building a kit would you say?

Did I miss where you purchased your brake gear parts from?

Atvb

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
typos/grammar

Thanks for the kind words CME.  I too hope that manufacturers do a decent job of getting things accurate.  I wouldn't expect them to go to the lengths I did because to sell the things for an affordable price, costs must be limited.

I usually add details to my RTR wagons but, of course, these tanks were pretty extreme.

I really can't speak to the Slaters kit, I haven't done the tank and don't know what detail is included.  Based on other Slaters kits I have built I suspect that extra detail would have to be added.  At least with Slaters you are starting with a model that is fundamentally accurate.

John

1 hour ago, brossard said:

From what I read, the errors were made before Lionheart came on board.  Not sure who the designer you refer to is.  My suspicion is the design was supposed to suit everyone and, as so often happens, ended up satisfying no-one.  I think in the beginning Dapol didn't quite grasp how discerning 7mm modellers are.

John

I wondered if it might have been one of David jones efforts.  

4 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Aside from Slaters, CRT have a much bigger range of milk tanks covering the later variants as well.

I think 2 tanks are enough for my needs.

I have a CRT 6 wheel Thompson brake kit to build.

Already built the general purpose van:

P1010052.JPG.7c01e32a64d4306f50d2a9adb4702345.JPG

A D&S kit I got from Steamline.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi John, Nickolls and Reeves books 'The Torrington Line'or 'The Okehampton Line' have loads of phots in .I'm sure there was a creamery at Torrington.I've seen one recently,but can't bring to mind where ATM.Will have to have a look later.

atb

Phil.

• Thanks 1