1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

Don't mind me; I don't like Mondays.

Tell me why? 

I want to shoot the whole day down.

1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

Well, the KLR was evidently cable of almost anything! I am sure you could justify this.

Not anything, but Edward Bradleigh I was certainly an ingenious bloke. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Let's move away from the ongoing discussions about Sergeant-Major Gordon Cash for a moment, and onto this latest bit of work. Hands up who remembers this old Triang-Hornby crane that I bought in my last haul before I moved, behind this Porter diesel that I still haven't got to working on?

_20190817_133048.JPG.b7cf85e1d7fc2203debb4e41458a4343.JPG

Well, I've started working on that fully.
I've also undercoated Berkham's water tower and some sets of buffers. I've turned the crane into a much older, wooden-cabined crane using some parts from a broken Triang brake van and bits of Wills wooden planking plasticard.

76193628_10221084592574812_3583489956074487808_o.jpg.e5516919d7762f073f62164f4a9dffd0.jpg

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 3

And done. First new bit of rolling stock in the new house, and far from the last. 

_20191028_162609.JPG.cd47788db10c39da8c133aebaf03ee7f.JPG

Introducing Crane No.1, the first bit of stock the KLR ever purchased. Built by Stothert & Pitt for the KLR in 1898, it was used to build Kelsby station house back in 1900, standing on the first bit of track ever laid for the line, and subsequently hauled by Bulldog as the rest of the line was built. It currently resides at Berkham Works where it is used as part of their maintenance train. 

• Like 5

Evening all. I've been messing around with the Sergeant-Major Gordon Cash concept again.
1342642293_B12Atlantictank.png.6ca2e1b34f24027b7de01d215972aafb.png

Here's a recent, more extreme variant on Edwardian's and Corbs' ideas. I still think a larger bunker and tank extensions are the way to go for my initial concept, but the question is can I make them viable for a 4-6-0T? As much as I like my unusual wheel arrangements to give me talking points for my railway, I am starting to get the feeling that some of them were unusual for a reason...

• Like 5

I think that looks much, much, better. I was wondering, though, if you might consider putting a Triang L1 chassis under it, to give a more plausible wheelbase. The result would be something like a 'Claude Tank', so you could provide a backstory of the KLE buying a withdrawn Claude Hamilton sometime in the 1950s, then converting it into a 4-4-2T.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, James Harrison said:

Bonkers idea perhaps, but is there no way to turn the chassis around and build an 0-6-4 or 2-6-4 tank?

Hmm. I hadn't actually considered that. But at the same time I'm not sure how I'd go about that. The motor is quite far back (over the top of the middle and rear driving wheels, just behind the backhead of the firebox) and I'm not totally sure if I could do that kind of a conversion cleanly. (I also already have a 2-6-4T in Eastern Rambler so it'd be the 0-6-4T if I did this as I tend towards my larger engines each having a different wheel arrangement.) It is a thought though, and does definitely get the cogs turning.

Extended to fully describe my thought process.
  • Like 1

On 31/10/2019 at 07:39, sem34090 said:

I think that looks much, much, better. I was wondering, though, if you might consider putting a Triang L1 chassis under it, to give a more plausible wheelbase. The result would be something like a 'Claude Tank', so you could provide a backstory of the KLE buying a withdrawn Claude Hamilton sometime in the 1950s, then converting it into a 4-4-2T.

KLR, Sem. 
And another good idea right there. Sadly I don't have an L1 chassis, and I quite like the squat wheelbase. This is all very conceptual at this moment anyway. Very much still on the drawing board.

Well looking at it I see an overly short boilered engine with no firebox, which is pretty much a non starter (pardon the joke). What you have is a small shunting engine body on top of a large engine type chassis, which means one or the other is out scale.

If you are going for a 4-4-2T, that means extending the boiler rearwards and then adding a firebox. Then that would mean reducing the length of the cab which seems out of scale for the basic concept, which then would allow you to give it a bigger coal bunker to suit the needs of a 4-4-2T. 

Just a suggestion. :)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Well looking at it I see an overly short boilered engine with no firebox, which is pretty much a non starter (pardon the joke). What you have is a small shunting engine body on top of a large engine type chassis, which means one or the other is out scale.

If you are going for a 4-4-2T, that means extending the boiler rearwards and then adding a firebox. Then that would mean reducing the length of the cab which seems out of scale for the basic concept, which then would allow you to give it a bigger coal bunker to suit the needs of a 4-4-2T. 

Just a suggestion. :)

Dude, have you SEEN some of the other stuff I've built? XD

28 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

This is sort of what I was thinking of -

image.png.ccea4ec29f615fcf20aeac55fce673d2.png

That makes more sense, yes. Issue would be spacing the drivers out. The smaller cab does actually look a bit better, I'll give you that, and the bigger bunker. I'd likely still give it the tank extensions though just to solve any potential water issues on the Elmtree branch. (Again, keep in mind this is all still very conceptual, I'll properly decide what I'm doing once I have an actual workbench and all my gear out of storage so I can actually do it.)

• Friendly/supportive 1

I've been doing some more thinking about the Sergeant-Major's wheel arrangement. We've tried Ten-wheeler, Pacific, Baltic, Atlantic... so what about a Reading tank?

682126557_B12Readingtank.png.3caa58d77cb6c579ce050608569291a3.png

Again, just a thought. Keeps the size down a bit, more manoeuvrable than the longer wheelbase tanks, more coal than the Atlantic and smaller axle loading for the branch. Thoughts?

• Like 2

And I've just been informed that I got Grandad's army rank wrong. He was a Corporal, not a Sergeant-Major. Thanks Nan for correcting my error. To avoid any future errors I have my older brother, our family archivist, looking up his army records to make sure I get it right as I want to be certain I'm commemorating the right person.

In other news:

129494067_B12tankver.3.png.11ff50fe2435a810fd5bcc3401f97a6f.png

The finalised design. Managed to create a 4-6-0T design which doesn't have an unworkably tiny bunker or a huge overhang at the back. Also Sem actually found an image of the Triang B12 rather than the newer Hornby mould, so it's more accurate in overall proportions to what it'll actually look like. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

129494067_B12tankver.3.png.11ff50fe2435a810fd5bcc3401f97a6f.png

The finalised design. Managed to create a 4-6-0T design which doesn't have an unworkably tiny bunker or a huge overhang at the back. Also Sem actually found an image of the Triang B12 rather than the newer Hornby mould, so it's more accurate in overall proportions to what it'll actually look like. 

Back in the late 60's Dad didn't have room for large layouts and so needed tank engines, but with the limited RTR offerings at the time his only option was to hack a fleet of his own creations (e.g converting a Wrenn 8F into a 2-8-4T).

Seeing the above image gave me a sense of deja vu,  so off I went to rummage through my inheritance boxes and voila, I give you James Walter's creation based on the Triang R150 B12, Number 9 "Erina":

Erina01.JPG.c059a6f2a723e14ae93b49fd23a560f0.JPG

Erina02.JPG.f9f72777ea7c92798c6a27e987b91bdc.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TT-Pete said:

Back in the late 60's Dad didn't have room for large layouts and so needed tank engines, but with the limited RTR offerings at the time his only option was to hack a fleet of his own creations (e.g converting a Wrenn 8F into a 2-8-4T).

Seeing the above image gave me a sense of deja vu,  so off I went to rummage through my inheritance boxes and voila, I give you James Walter's creation based on the Triang R150 B12, Number 9 "Erina":

Erina01.JPG.c059a6f2a723e14ae93b49fd23a560f0.JPG

Erina02.JPG.f9f72777ea7c92798c6a27e987b91bdc.JPG

Oh, that is gorgeous! Nice to see I'm not the only one who had this idea. I see he did a BR-style bunker; I thought about doing that myself but personally didn't think it'd look right. Seems I was wrong. And sounds like your dad is/was a man after my own heart.
Also do you know where he got the Westinghouse pump from? I've been looking for some of those for my own locos.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Oh, that is gorgeous! Nice to see I'm not the only one who had this idea. I see he did a BR-style bunker; I thought about doing that myself but personally didn't think it'd look right. Seems I was wrong. And sounds like your dad is/was a man after my own heart.
Also do you know where he got the Westinghouse pump from? I've been looking for some of those for my own locos.

He was always chopping stuff about and repainting as best he could with the limited materials of the time being plasticard, Humbrol gloss paints and Letraset rub-down transfers (the last curled yellowing perished sheets which I only just recently threw away.) Number 3 0-6-2T "Pilot" is a fairly typical creation being front half Jinty, rear half er, umm, dunno.

IMG_2919.JPG.e0c7a3d647dc45c6fe079b92be09b61c.JPGIMG_2920.JPG.730c80c464d5a91ea141fcf4737100ac.JPG

Can't say where the Westinghouse pump came from, but even Continental products weren't safe from his hacksaw, so possibly Playcraft/Jouef? (There is also a rebuilt Triang R56 Transcontinental 4-6-4T Baltic tank knocking about somewhere that I can't seem to find at the moment) however this Belgian company produce very good cast brass pumps (albeit in HO):

http://www.pb-messingmodelbouw.com/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/echelle-ho/pieces-detachees/locomotives-vapeur/90240-0-po

(bit of a long URL, but you know these Belgians...)  I have an account with them and will be placing an order for other bits in the near future, PM me if you want to include anything...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

I have an account with them and will be placing an order for other bits in the near future, PM me if you want to include anything...

Will do. Thanks Pete. I appreciate it, also appreciate the inspiration your dad's creations are providing. I really love his engines and hope they're still getting a good run-in. 

• RMweb Premium

Lanarkshire model do Westinghouse pumps, or you can phone Dave at SE Finecast and ask him for some. There are differing sizes. The one from the NU-cast Small Ben is the small type (and there is a mounting bracket for it too). I'm not sure what other he has in his range....

Andy G

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1