Following up the previous post, I've been fiddling around with some parts and ended up with this. 

_20191216_161111.JPG.17bee0eeff101913f75efc9a6d974164.JPG

Trying to work out if it actually looks like the work of any known company. If it doesn't to you guys, let me know what you would recommend. 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Annie said:

None too bad Red.  Looks very generic to my eyes.

Yeah. Personally I'm getting a bit of a Hudswell Clarke-y vibe from it personally, though... I don't know. Something just doesn't feel right with the cab. I mean bar the fact it's not painted yet.

• RMweb Premium

Clean it all up and do the filler thing where needed and give it a spray of primer.  Then you should get a much better idea of what you've got.  Personally I like it, but it is your engine so it's your decision to make.

• RMweb Premium

Ever seen a GER 'Crystal Palace' tank engine?  Your engine isn't even in the running for having an oversized cab.

7032_48.jpg

Edited by Annie
added picture
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right, now the Christmas rushing around is over, back to business. 

On 27/12/2019 at 20:47, CinderMonkey said:

Could we get a side and 3/4 view of the engine? Might make it a tad easier to suggest a builder.

Ask and ye shall receive, CinderMonkey. 

_20200110_231712.JPG.271f33d43f4dfdbc6acd6f3bdb3eba35.JPG

_20200110_231738.JPG.2afa94a90e72401583ac3727aeb9dfab.JPG

_20200110_231758.JPG.f3c36737382d739a715cb59a4249be5e.JPG

Have two ¾ views for the price of one! Plus cameos from some of my other engines, including the also work in progress 0-4-0WT and three different angles of Wild Rover, who seems to have a thing for making its way into my photos almost as much as Peter does. 

Speaking of work in progress locos... 

_20200110_231822.JPG.e15aa3195dd1cdc4c4fd80eb34c501a2.JPG

I got this lovely J83 for Christmas from my mum. Now, I'm not usually a fan of the KLR having surviving example of locos that have none in real life, Eastern Rambler and Richard being notable exceptions (as well as maybe saving the W1 from scrap, still undecided with that), but with a J83 and how perfect for the KLR another tank engine of this size is I can't say no. Plus it was a gift from my mum, so it's nice to see her continued support. :)

I need to decide on a paint scheme and a name for it though. Hell, don't even know what the number will be yet. No.15 is empty but reserved for a future 9F named Tom Hickathrift, then Sergeant Gordon Cash is No.16, but I can't decide whether this or the well tank will be No.17.

Do I go with passenger or goods livery? As far as I'm aware these are mixed traffic tanks. Also name suggestions must be related to East Anglia in some way that isn't derogatory. 

• Like 3

My haul from my recent trip to a collectables place in King's Lynn:
81693057_10221892824020093_4202616587078860800_o.jpg.9bf09c9419e01ce4bc40a0b821c2126d.jpg

Two more Hornby four-wheelers, because you can never have too many of those in my opinion,
A Ratio kit four-wheeler,
A Hornby starter kit goods shed which I plan to resurface to make it look less crap,
A Ratio cattle dock,
A Hornby Dublo ore truck to get some new couplings,
A pair of Triang wagons,
A Triang Pullman coach to be renamed,
A Triang Royal Mail railway post office van,
Two lorries, one of which is slightly too big a scale but not so much as to be unusable,
And a book on Norfolk's railways between 1927 and 1966.
Not a bad lot if I do say so myself.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Two more Hornby four-wheelers, because you can never have too many of those in my opinion,

I'm trying to find out!

2 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

A Hornby starter kit goods shed which I plan to resurface to make it look less crap,

That brings back memories. I had one of these, and I didn't have (but really really wanted) some Hornby platform sections and station buildings. I suppose I thought these things were good models because they came from Hornby......

I reckon it will be a good basis for your improvement project.

5 hours ago, CinderMonkey said:

Now I've seen other shots (Thanks Red) I'm inclined to agree with Hudswell Clarke (although the chimney may have to be swapped to suit).

Fair enough. Any chimneys you'd recommend?

5 hours ago, CinderMonkey said:

I always forget how tiny the J72 boilers are until I look at one.

Yes, they are rather diddy. 

I don't know of any castings off the top of my head, but I do know @ahardy of Hardy's Hobbies has several 3d printed Hudswell kits. If you ask him he may be able to supply just the chimney, or extend it if necessary.

You may also be able to improve the existing chimney by scratching it a more pronounced cap and a flared base. I should add I am no expert on Hudswell Clarke or any other small locomotive firm, so proceed as you see best.

8450636737_0dfa0f81ac_b.jpg

On 19/01/2020 at 18:50, CinderMonkey said:

Actually I've just found some photos of works No. 679, which looks quite close to your engine. I've also found evidence of Hudswell locomotives fitted with stovepipe chimneys if you would rather model those.

5809931070_e92a06b218_b.jpg

8085293940_494ebdd4c9_b.jpg

hudswell-clarke-679-at-the-manchester-ship-canal-may-1966.jpg

Hudswell_Clarke_Hamburg_in_Oxenhope_Museum.JPG

DSC_0362.JPG.cc10d36516eb1ba134ad1dff3772f9c5.JPG

Declan is finally finished, taking inspiration from the Manchester Canal HC tanks. Chimney is actually Geoffrey Lake's old one as I've given him one that's a bit thicker and more proportional. 

_20200201_225522.JPG.f3b5cf23bae06bf1372aad0c4c394e4b.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Wow. Been a while again, been quite busy working on plastering the garage and other things.
Decided to take a panoramic shot of the current (completed) KLR fleet:

2pcrpi1pm2m41.jpg.db678f83ff7bef17a74b19819c7c545e.jpg

It's a bit (very) wonky, so bear with it. From L-R:

Unnumbered Saint Julian of Norwich

No.1 Bulldog

No.2 Wild Rover (plus an unpainted Armourium Cherub from Warhammer 40,000 and a Lima motor tender)

No.3 Peter (and a box of road vehicles)

No.4 Mastodon (partially obscured by said box)

No.5 Geoffrey Lake (also partially obscured by the box)

No.6 Wanderer (plus a BR maintenance van and the unfinished Fleischmann Anglicisation)

No.7 Gremlin

No.8 Eastern Rambler

No.9 Edward Bradleigh I

No.10 Admiral Horatio Nelson

No.11 Richard

No.12 Declan (and another Lima motor tender)

No.13 Black Shuck

No.14 Norfolk Rebel

Tortoise the works Garratt

No.16 Sergeant Gordon Cash

No.18 Jack-in-the-Green (plus a Jinty chassis)

and a marble bust of Tutankhamun my aunt and uncle brought back for me when they went to Egypt.

I also have two other locomotives being painted - those being No.19 Boadicea, the Warship shown earlier (name of an actual Royal Navy warship and also in-keeping with the KLR's East Anglian naming convention), and a new arrival I've not mentioned on here yet, an old Hornby Deltic which will be No.17 Royal Anglian Regiment (so named because it was my Grandad's old regiment, plus the aforementioned naming convention). Yes, shock horror, the KLR is adding some more diseasels to the ranks, albeit ones that aren't just boring ugly boxes - I think the Warships have quite a bit of character and the Deltics are so iconic I felt I had to have one. Besides, I have most of the KLR's "old guard" of locos, bar Hare the works' Ruston 48DS shunter and No.15 Tom Hickathrift, the heritage line's obligatory 9F. 

• Like 5

Huh...I'd been following this thread and didn't realise it was you when I commented on Reddit. It's all coming together now! Great work, the fleet is looking top notch. 
(And I hope you get that reddit karma, although it seems to me that its exclusively American Railroading over there. Apart from that one guy who just seems to post images of his generic Hornby fleet 1 by 1 for the upvotes).  

• Thanks 1