"Mate, aren't you from the quarry?"

"...yes..."

"Then why are you here?"

"...I don't know."

Mammoth now just needs his plates. Looking very smart indeed in KLR goods black. And also very nice posed with a line of Alnerwick Quarry five-planks and my new TOAD brake van.

post-33750-0-92169000-1542132331_thumb.jpg

post-33750-0-32649300-1542132532_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Wow. Has it really been a month since I posted about Mammoth on here? Time goes too damn fast.

Amongst my Christmas presents yesterday I was delighted to receive this beautiful Mainline 4MT from my mum.

Introducing the future KLR 13 Black Shuck. As the name suggests it'll be getting a nice coat of KLR black.

post-33750-0-13924500-1545818948_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 8

Black Shuck is painted and awaits plates and lettering.

post-33750-0-88671900-1546786220_thumb.jpg

post-33750-0-87224900-1546786345_thumb.jpg

Right, so hope you all had a good New Year. I've been working through a rather dark patch that arrived as my brothers were all leaving myself. But life is like that.

I know it's not necessary, but I feel I should probably explain why I've been absent so much over the past few months as I feel slightly guilty for disappearing for ages when I could be helping people with their modelling issues on here. I had a rather severe mental break in July, and after some therapy and a lot of self-help was diagnosed formally with a form of OCD in early October. I'd suspected this for a while, but getting it confirmed and the massive adjustments I've had to make to my lifestyle to try and adjust to my condition has taken kind of a toll. So sorry if I worried anyone with my repeated on and off absences, hopefully I'm now stable enough to be on here more often. The therapy and medication are certainly helping with that.

Here's to a new year then, and hopefully to it being a better one than the last.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been mulling over an idea I had a while back while I've been at work today.

As I've mentioned on other threads, when it comes to locomotives I love LNER stuff but I can't help but be fascinated by the bizarre and unusual locomotives there have been through the years. And one that has stuck out in particular is the Beyer Peacock 0-4-0+0-4-0 Garratts so I decided a while back I wanted to have a go at building one to be the shunter for the (off-layout) Berkham Works, to go with the Ruston now on my wishlist as of reading the new Hornby catalogue. Then I didn't think about it for a while what with Christmas and my own various personal issues before coming back to it in earnest recently now my head is a little bit clearer.

The more I've thought about this the more I realise I have no sodding clue how I'm going to go about this with my admittedly middling to mediocre modelling skill.

So consider this a cry for help from someone who can't do electrics to save his life, has no experience with scratchbuilding anything and tends to wing it most of the time and so isn't used to trying to build anything to a specific design. Also who is working on a miniscule budget.

HELP WANTED FOR BUILDING INDUSTRIAL GARRATT BY AMATEUR MODELLER WHO MAY BE PUNCHING TOO HIGH ABOVE HIS WEIGHT HERE.

Right. The first question I'll ask is "how close to the prototype do you want this to be" as that dictates all kinds of things.

As close as feasibly possible.

Second question: "How powerful does it need to be?"

Powerful enough to potentially pull two cranes, a flatbed with something as heavy as a 9F on it, a mess coach, a tool van and a brake van at all once.

Hmm... The first makes matters harder. RTR-bashing will be hard and kits are neither easy nor cheap. I had considered an idea using a pair of Hornby 0-4-0 chassis as the basis, with a B12 boiler and valve gear from Peter's Spares but that won't get you near to the prototype, really.

I forgot about Revenge so yeah, probably should have come to you first. I was thinking of using the Hornby W4 Peckett chassis... Except for the fact they're crazy expensive anyway. Plus I'd want three as I want a W4 Peckett anyway. I actually want both Pecketts for the KLR but that's not the point.

Dapol/Hornby L&Y Class 21s have the same issue.

• Like 2

Also, I don't think you'd be able to bring yourself to butcher a Hornby Peckett for that.

The older Hornby 0-4-0 chassis is very, very, far from perfect but has the distinct advantage of being cheap.

Bachmann Thomas stuff isn't all that cheap either, but as Mr Corbs says it is probably a good bet.

Edited by sem34090

No, I certainly would have a hard time butchering a Peckett. Repaint it into KLR green yes, but no more than that.

And the Bachmann Percy is perfect, but again the issue is how cheap can I get two of them for?

And I have plenty of Hornby 0-4-0 chassis. Issue is I have no idea if any of them work.

Thank you to Corbs for sending me this 4F (I think?) boiler for the Garratt project (which will be named Tortoise, and the Ruston that will accompany it at Berkham Works will be named Hare.)

post-33750-0-85996400-1548435143_thumb.jpg

Now to get my hands on the pair of chassis and work out how the rest will go.

• Like 6

And we're back!

I returned from my grandparents' house after a fish and chips dinner last night (which I feel slightly bad about because so much damn cholesterol) to find this little beauty sent to me for the Tortoise project.

DSC_0109.JPG.e280213b636b3e95b767c3d4119f1a17.JPG

Corbs, did you send this? Seems like the sort of generosity he would produce. :blush: Wow. And for totally free with no provocation as well. Jeez. Whoever it was, thanks man. 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1