Hi Red

You'll find some very inspiring pictures and drawings of Garratts in David Joy's book 'Engines that Bend' which is a wonderful source of information on types of articulated locos from around the world.  Though mostly about narrow gauge locos, it's a very worthwhile read and you can pick up a copy quite cheaply on eBay.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, Dickon said:

Hi Red

You'll find some very inspiring pictures and drawings of Garratts in David Joy's book 'Engines that Bend' which is a wonderful source of information on types of articulated locos from around the world.  Though mostly about narrow gauge locos, it's a very worthwhile read and you can pick up a copy quite cheaply on eBay.

Hmm. I'm only building the one but could be an interesting read. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The workbench opens up once again, as Tortoise, the 0-4-0+0-4-0 Garratt owned by the KLR workshops at Berkham, begins construction, probably to be the final KLR locomotive built in my current house. 

1704776184__20190426_1436071.JPG.c301945331033071cacfb29325d47993.JPG

Big thanks to Corbs, as one way or another he provided nearly all the parts you see above. Now to work out how exactly to go about this.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 8

34 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Nice one Red, I can't exactly remember how to take the 'notPercys' apart but I do remember it's quite unusual and involves taking the cab roof off.

Thanks for the heads up, Corbs. I knew about removing the roof, but not about anything else. I hopefully should be able to work it out.
At least the bodies themselves will provide some nice parts fodder.

• Like 1

If you had a spare £60 (not many of us do...) I'd suggest this to provide a suitable running plate and firebox:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/350503/Heljan_H4_GarrattSpare_Centre01_Beyer_Garratt_centre_chassis_body_tested_livery_may_vary_for_replacement_of_f/StockDetail.aspx

But I think the ROD gives you a much nicer boiler, and the whole assembly looks much less 'LMS'. Might you be able to post some details of the chassis measurements, particularly towards the rear? I might be able to do some CAD for a running plate for you, which may or may not be suitable but it's worth a try.

• Thanks 1

Tortoise now has most of its water tank constructed. At the moment the front chassis is sat on the shelf I keep my 40k Sergeants on in order to keep the cats off the wires. Peter is included in the photo for comparison. As you can probably see, the tank itself is half of an old Triang tank wagon that was amongst the job lot that Sem gave me.

59407832_10219392593355889_6224674038845800448_o.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

As you can probably see, the tank itself is half of an old Triang tank wagon that was amongst the job lot that Sem gave me.

59407832_10219392593355889_6224674038845800448_o.jpg

Much as I appreciate that you want to use as many bits and pieces that you already have; it looks as though your water tank is going to be as tall if not taller than 

your boiler.  I  think that you would be better off with a lower rectangular water tank which would hold just as much if not more water (traction being important on a Garrett) and also give your driver much better forward visibility.  

Just a thought.

Edited by Dickon
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dickon said:

Much as I appreciate that you want to use as many bits and pieces that you already have; it looks as though your water tank is going to be as tall if not taller than your boiler.  I think that you would be better off with a lower rectangular water tank which would hold just as much if not more water (traction being important on a Garrett) and also give your driver much better forward visibility.  

Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice, Dickon. However, I'm a little reluctant to do something like that because that would mean dismantling and messing around with the motor housing, which I'm very reluctant to do as I don't want to damage the tiny motor or break the very fragile wires. But I will take what you said about visibility into account. I'll need to give this all some thought. 

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
Spell checking

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The beast that Sem linked me to in PMs has arrived, ready for painting into KLR passenger livery.
Ladies and gentlemen, introducing KLR No.10 Admiral Horatio Nelson, an unusual 4-6-2T built for the KLR by Beyer-Peacock and Co.

770859637_KLR10.jpg.94c18a7092289b185393a7bf66bf7902.jpg

Model-wise, this thing is hefty, brass and clearly scratchbuilt. I always find it nice whenever I can give someone else's hard work a loving home like this :) 

• Like 6

On 19/06/2019 at 21:29, RedGemAlchemist said:

The beast that Sem linked me to in PMs has arrived, ready for painting into KLR passenger livery.
Ladies and gentlemen, introducing KLR No.10 Admiral Horatio Nelson, an unusual 4-6-2T built for the KLR by Beyer-Peacock and Co.

770859637_KLR10.jpg.94c18a7092289b185393a7bf66bf7902.jpg

Model-wise, this thing is hefty, brass and clearly scratchbuilt. I always find it nice whenever I can give someone else's hard work a loving home like this :) 

I had that on watch, good to see it went to a good home.