On 19/06/2019 at 21:29, RedGemAlchemist said:

The beast that Sem linked me to in PMs has arrived, ready for painting into KLR passenger livery.
Ladies and gentlemen, introducing KLR No.10 Admiral Horatio Nelson, an unusual 4-6-2T built for the KLR by Beyer-Peacock and Co.

770859637_KLR10.jpg.94c18a7092289b185393a7bf66bf7902.jpg

Model-wise, this thing is hefty, brass and clearly scratchbuilt. I always find it nice whenever I can give someone else's hard work a loving home like this :) 

Heavyboye!

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Sophia NSE said:

Heavyboye!

Yes, very. I expect it to be extremely powerful, as it also has the motor from a Triang Pacific.

Anyway, the new haul.
From the King's Lynn Model Railway Show, a small Fleischmann 0-4-0WT, a Bachmann Class 08 for Hewe Docks and some mineral wagons.
From eBay, a Jouef 0-8-0T to be used to rebuild No.4.

64635943_10219862844991886_197330369744207872_n.jpg.67780e390d30a022bdb2c19e96e9edeb.jpg

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, RedGemAlchemist said:

Yes, very. I expect it to be extremely powerful, as it also has the motor from a Triang Pacific.

Anyway, the new haul.
From the King's Lynn Model Railway Show, a small Fleischmann 0-4-0WT, a Bachmann Class 08 for Hewe Docks and some mineral wagons.
From eBay, a Jouef 0-8-0T to be used to rebuild No.4.

64635943_10219862844991886_197330369744207872_n.jpg.67780e390d30a022bdb2c19e96e9edeb.jpg

Ooooooh that 08 looks fabulous in NSE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The design does put me in mind of the USATC S100 0-6-0T, because you've got the large cab and sloping tank sides for good visibility, especially when shunting. These were built by Baldwin, ALCO, Porter.

7 minutes ago, Corbs said:

The design does put me in mind of the USATC S100 0-6-0T, because you've got the large cab and sloping tank sides for good visibility, especially when shunting. These were built by Baldwin, ALCO, Porter.

Hmm. So let's say that a colliery in Wales for some reason decided to ask Baldwin to build them an 0-8-0 shunter locomotive, which ended up on the KLR as a heavy haulage goods locomotive. 

• Like 1

Wales had a precedent for such a beast...

image.png.d599cfa9bd5ac196c680664b55f78099.png

Barry Railway K Class. Not an 0-8-0T, nor built for a Colliery, but crucially built by a New Jersey firm.

image.png.de8b52c574279aa7983cf6805e229491.png

Then the GWR rebuilt a few - Really quite bizarre machines, very much combining British and American features in a way the Yankee Moguls of the MR/GCR/GNR didn't quite, in some ways - those still looked VERY American.

And yes, it reminds me of a Z also!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

BEHOLD A BEAST FROM AN ANCIENT TIME AND PLACE...

By which I mean 1918 and Eddystone, Pennsylvania, as the newly rebooted Mastodon makes its debut.

1191284700_No.4complete.jpg.78331bcd4359c32f2c752518b092961c.jpg

(The piece of plastic at the front is to hold the front coupling at the correct level while the Gorilla Glue sets.)

I am really pleased with this. It turned out really, REALLY nicely. Introducing the KLR's oldest dedicated goods loco!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Heya Red

I saw this picture and thought that the loco second from left reminded me of your big brute of a shunter, it's from Sao Paulo in Brazil although it may be a Baldwin?

EDIT Also this image of the same type of loco.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Heya Red

I saw this picture and thought that the loco second from left reminded me of your big brute of a shunter, it's from Sao Paulo in Brazil although it may be a Baldwin?

Hmm. Yeah, that does really look like Mastodon actually. Might be a Baldwin too, I'll have to do some further research. Thanks mate :)

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
Accidentally put my response in the quote box
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm finally back, after... Good lord, three full months? away from the forums due to various things. But now I'm relatively settled into my new home I'm finally getting on with more KLR stuff. 

First things first is something I've been wanting to do for quite some time - a proper brake coach and parcel van to go with my Hornby four-wheelers. I found some real inspiration while looking online recently:

809671529_HR4WheelBrakeVan.jpg.f1da04fe031fda2f607392408cd57410.jpg

This little beauty (model made by Tuebrook Trains) is a Highland Railway Lochgorm brake van. I found this while looking for a real world analog to the Hornby four wheelers, and as it turns out the other HR four-wheeler stock matches up pretty well stylistically. Well, there's my point of reference then. 

• Like 9

image.png.59b7ccef89b77a52ba8034b3fabf7670.png

A concept Photoshop I threw together last night after work for a brake coach and parcel van for the KLR locals train. A ducket for the brake coach will likely be provided by OscarTangoMike, who is currently working on a brake coach conversion kit for the Triang-Hornby four-wheeler, and the parcel van will likely be a coach bashed to fit on the short Triang brake van chassis.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

49 minutes ago, Annie said:

Were Hornby attempting to be inspired by the second coach in this train perhaps?

1bOF4Mi.jpg

Hmm. I've had this conversation with multiple people over the year or so I've been on here. I don't know. I've certainly been taking inspiration from multiple sources, and I expect Triang-Hornby did the same when they first moulded the coach in the late 70s.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

My brain has been working again. Must be the time I've spent away from the hobby kicking it into overdrive.

I've been thinking about some more unusual locomotive wheel arrangements for some future KLR locomotives. Also I've decided the name for one will definitely be Sergeant-Major Gordon Cash, which is for a very personal reason -  that is the name of my grandad, who passed away last month. It seemed fitting as I already named Geoffrey Lake after my railwayman great-grandad. My family are very important to me and this is my way of commemorating two of the most important people in my life who are no longer with us.

Anyway, back to wheel arrangements. I like the idea of making some locos using wheel arrangements that you don't really see in standard-gauge here in the UK. Stuff like 2-6-0T (a definite as I really like the idea of that), 2-4-4T, 2-8-4T or 4-4-4 that you don't really see much to just have some creative fun and create some unique locomotives. The thing is I also need some help from you guys as I can't really work out what function locomotives like some of these would actually be suited to perform. Any thoughts, guys and gals?

• RMweb Premium

Try Irish 3’ narrow gauge, the NCC had 2-4-4T, the Donegal 4-4-4T, and the Lough Swilly a 4-8-4T, (sorry no 2-8-4T though) and there was a 4-8-0.

Mr Ed’s visit to the Madder Valley shows ng locos upgraded to sg.

Edited by Northroader

5 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Try Irish 3’ narrow gauge, the NCC had 2-4-4T, the Donegal 4-4-4T, and the Lough Swilly a 4-8-4T, (sorry no 2-8-4T though) and there was a 4-8-0.

Thanks for the thought, but that's not quite what I meant. I was asking about how these locomotive types would be actually useful, not how I can justify it. I'm still running these oddities amongst the normal SG KLR fleet.

I'd say that a 4-4-4T and a 2-4-4T would be passenger locos (Based off of other varieties of 4-Coupled tank, this seems to have been the most common purpose (apart from 0-4-0Ts) - The Met's H Class 4-4-4Ts were that company's top-link express locos. 0-4-4T, 4-4-0T, 2-4-2T, 2-4-0T, 0-4-2T, etc  are more common but I know that's probably not what you're after - the key thing is they're all generally used for passenger applications), whilst it's fairly safe to say the 8-Coupled tanks are more likely to be freight designs - I present here the LSWR G16 4-8-0Ts:

image.png.a8379c913c270c8ff854665b6fb3f15f.png

Used for hump shunting at Feltham, mostly if not exclusively.

Not sure whether I prefer it's similar-ish 4-6-2T counterpart (H16) though:

image.png.343ce3ef766aa1b33780d9a9594135f9.png

In my opinion they're both gorgeous, but I have no use for either currently. A H16 is arguably more useful for those not modelling Feltham.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1