Funky! I like it!

Nice!

Thanks so much guys. Coming from you two especially, hearing you like it is just... wow. Unfortunately the KLR locomotive works has come to a grinding halt at this moment in time. I need an L&Y Pug chassis for No.3 but unfortunately I can't find one on cheap. Especially not as I actually want an L&Y Pug to turn into a second small saddle tank because, as mentioned more than once, I love small tank engines, hence why the KLR's fleet will mostly consist of such. So for locomotives, sadly there probably won't be that much progress for the time being.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

While I was at work today I was mulling over thoughts about the layout of Kelsby station. Thinking something similar to Whitwell station as it exists today as part of the still under construction Whitwell and Reepham Railway. Anyone have any thoughts and suggestions? Like the idea of brainstorming with you guys.

• Like 1

While I was at work today I was mulling over thoughts about the layout of Kelsby station. Thinking something similar to Whitwell station as it exists today as part of the still under construction Whitwell and Reepham Railway. Anyone have any thoughts and suggestions? Like the idea of brainstorming with you guys.

It seems clear from your history that this is rather more than a preserved line in terms of traffic, though I don't doubt tourists flock:

Somehow, the line survived, even struggling past the official death of steam, and continues powered by its little fleet of largely unique, often bizarre self-constructed locomotives, a clumped together collection of stock consisting of whatever the Bradleighs could get their hands on, and a never-say-die, can do attitude that has allowed it to survive - although now assisted in part by English Heritage. Far from being purely tourist, this is still a working railway thanks to the very isolated nature of the villages it serves, often moving around livestock between markets, aggregates to the small quarry in Alnerwick, or odds and ends from all over the place. It remains truly a curiosity amongst the many railways of Great Britain.

On that basis, plan for a loading dock for side loading, include livestock pens and have an end loading dock in addition to a goods siding for unloading at ground level, probably with a crane.

A siding with a carriage shed might be useful, too.

• Like 1

It seems clear from your history that this is rather more than a preserved line in terms of traffic, though I don't doubt tourists flock:

On that basis, plan for a loading dock for side loading, include livestock pens and have an end loading dock in addition to a goods siding for unloading at ground level, probably with a crane.

A siding with a carriage shed might be useful, too.

Hmm, good point. The carriage shed is definitely an idea, and the crane and a small goods yard of some description was the plan (mainly because modelling a crane would be really fun). Hadn't thought of livestock pens and loading docks despite the fact that that is obvious Red why the heck didn't you think of something so essential you jackass. 

The line does get quite a bit of tourism but the main traffic is local passengers and aggregates from the quarry. The livestock is mainly on market days or in the leadup to stuff like the Royal Norfolk Show. The Whitwell comparison was because I like the general layout of the station itself.

• Like 2

Precisely that one. Again, I like the layout of the station as it exists now so I'm going to take some inspiration from it. 

post-33750-0-90006500-1519329786_thumb.png

With some modifications, this is the perfect basis for the station at Kelsby. Small, quaint and full of character. Add a selection of small locomotive sheds, an coach shed and a couple other things and it'd be perfect.

• Like 2

Slightly off topic. Was looking through Signalbox.org and found this.

https://signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=658

I pass this station building every Thursday on the way to visit my grandparents in Thetford. It's fascinating to get a picture of how it might have looked when it was working, seeing as when the tracks were removed and it was turned into a private residence in the 60s I wasn't born yet. In fact my parents weren't even born!

EDIT: Removed the picture and replaced with a link. Just read the site copyright and I'm not sure it applies to here but I'm not going to risk it.

• Like 2

Drew over the Google Maps image of Whitwell and Reepham station on Photoshop and ended up with this.

post-33750-0-88069000-1519412941.png

I should probably have put more thought in. It wasn't a very good picture, I have no idea if it's accurate and it has no buildings on it as I don't know if there's a general etiquette to noting down a layout plan. I'm not going to be following this exactly anyway, to be fair, just using it for inspiration. I just kind of got bored. Either way should have found an actual track plan of the station or a better aerial photo if I was going to do this. The fact I've never actually been there and only know the layout from various videos on YouTube doesn't help.
Either way it's good practice for using Photoshop for planning. But still, is there some sort of standard notation for making trackplans?

• Like 4

I was out yesterday, which gave me a good while to think about the layout of Kelsby station again. 
post-33750-0-74286400-1519546796_thumb.png
Aaaaand still no real progress. Still using Whitwell and Reepham as a basis for the moment, I have a turntable and it's at a better angle, but I still have no idea how to denote the buildings and structures and I have no idea what else to do. Kind of at a loss here. I know what I want or need, but no idea how to note it down or how to plan a station. Anyone got any advice?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the main thing you are missing is the ability for one loco to run round its train as there is no loop.

I altered some bits as a suggestion.

post-898-0-03095600-1519548392.jpg

-added run round loop

-moved turntable so that incoming trains can't accidentally drive into it

-reversed crossover at station throat so that incoming trains can access both roads and the goods yard

-added platform and station building on the longest (so that more carriages can fit in) and most direct route in - general practice would have the passenger platform on the 'main' and not on a siding

Hope this is useful!

You could even go crazy and have a carriage shed behind the platform and a small loco shed and servicing area off the turntable

post-898-0-49368000-1519549005.jpg

a bit like Swanage's shed, turntable, coaling stage and water tower.

44932_6695.jpg

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 8

I think the main thing you are missing is the ability for one loco to run round its train as there is no loop.

I altered some bits as a suggestion.

attachicon.gifsimple-station.jpg

-added run round loop

-moved turntable so that incoming trains can't accidentally drive into it

-reversed crossover at station throat so that incoming trains can access both roads and the goods yard

-added platform and station building on the longest (so that more carriages can fit in) and most direct route in - general practice would have the passenger platform on the 'main' and not on a siding

Hope this is useful!

You could even go crazy and have a carriage shed behind the platform and a small loco shed and servicing area off the turntable

attachicon.gifsimple-station2.jpg

a bit like Swanage's shed, turntable, coaling stage and water tower.

engine-shed-showing-turntable.jpg

Wow. How did I miss something as obvious as the ability to run around the train? Thanks Corbs! That's very useful indeed. 

And yes, moving the turntable is a good idea. Did kind of put it into a stupid spot. And yes, that could be an idea, though since the railway's home base is at Kelsby I'd need something bigger for the likes of Bulldog and Wild Rover, though it might be fine for the station pilot (which will probably be the incomplete and unnamed No.3). Also really like the carriage shed being next to the station building. I think I'll keep that. 

Also I appear to have quoted you before you finished editing your post so I have a different image. I find that funny for some reason.

• Like 3

So, after taking in Corbs' advice, this is what I have:
post-33750-0-46761000-1519551257_thumb.png
I was planning to add the station building and platform to the top edge anyway as that is just common sense. Unusually though Whitwell and Reepham has it at the bottom one, which is strange. I have removed the shed at the end of the turntable, at least for now, while I try and work out how to put in a larger engine shed, or where to put in multiple. I also made the carriage shed two-road, just because I have no idea how many coaches I'll have based at Kelsby so it'd be good to be on the safe side, and I took off the useless short spur of track on the edge of the plan. If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to speak up! :)

• Like 6

post-33750-0-35304200-1519560975_thumb.png

A bit more throwing around of concepts. Softened the curve at the entrance to the station yard as it would make it take up less space on the board. Also added two trees next to the station building and a potential placement for a goods platform. Still no idea where to put the locomotive sheds or on where to put anything else I might need. As before if anyone has any suggestions they are more than welcome to make them.

• Like 4

What's the usual local goods traffic?

There's a quarry in Alnerwick which provides aggregates and such. Livestock, also milk from the dairy in Dawsbury (off model). Small to mid-sized quarrying equipment occasionally. Fruit and vegetables as well as other wares on market days. Various boxes of stuff from local businesses.

Which reminds me, I really need to get my hands on a couple livestock vans.

• RMweb Premium

There's a quarry in Alnerwick which provides aggregates and such. Livestock, also milk from the dairy in Dawsbury (off model). Small to mid-sized quarrying equipment occasionally. Fruit and vegetables as well as other wares on market days. Various boxes of stuff from local businesses.

Having traffic sources 'down the line' such as a quarry or dairy is good.  It gives the excuse for both empty and loaded wagons to be at the terminus to run round before going back down the line to their destinations.  Empty mineral wagons arrive, run round & depart for the quarry, full mineral wagons arrive from the quarry, run round & depart for the main line/rest of the world.  Same with dairy traffic, although a milk tanker or box van looks the same whether full or empty.

Moxy

Having traffic sources 'down the line' such as a quarry or dairy is good.  It gives the excuse for both empty and loaded wagons to be at the terminus to run round before going back down the line to their destinations.  Empty mineral wagons arrive, run round & depart for the quarry, full mineral wagons arrive from the quarry, run round & depart for the main line/rest of the world.  Same with dairy traffic, although a milk tanker or box van looks the same whether full or empty.

Thanks man. Though note, Alnerwick, and its quarry, is actually going to be the furthest point on the model as I'm modelling the first three stops (the railway's home base at Kelsby, Hewe and Alnerwick with Alnerwick Quarry). Plus modelling a small quarry sounds like a fun challenge.

• Like 1

More little nudges.
post-33750-0-30736600-1519579161_thumb.png
Couple of goods sheds, the one on the right with a ramp for stuff like cattle and such, also extended the track for the left one to fit. I'm... not sure if I've done that right. I know I need some cattle pens somewhere and such. I'm really not sure what I'm doing with the design for this.

• Like 2

Happy 100th post on this thread, me! Yes it's irrelevant, I don't care, it means people actually care about what I'm doing!

post-33750-0-21106800-1519671173_thumb.png

Speaking of people caring about what I'm doing, a concept for where to put the loco sheds (also made the turntable a little bigger). Any ideas? Something to me doesn't feel right about that but I have no idea where else to put them. Some additional input would be appreciated.

• Like 3