Fitting out The Shed [Was: Unconverted loft? Expensive shed?]

I hope thats not an electric fire sat under an A/C unit? Our's drips frequently - the two may not play well together!!!

It is - but it is only there temporarily. It came with the shed and that is where the decorator put it to get it out of the way of the work that he was doing.

• RMweb Gold

lol - thats ok then. Definately need a heater now the weather has taken a turn! I am still trying to convince the wife that a 30' railway room in the garden is a much better investment than a new kitchen!! She's still not convinced though!

lol - thats ok then. Definately need a heater now the weather has taken a turn! I am still trying to convince the wife that a 30' railway room in the garden is a much better investment than a new kitchen!! She's still not convinced though!

Sorry Squire,you have not explained yourself properly to her. 30 feet shed will house 8 illegals and the income will soon purchase a super dooper Kitchen for her and as a bonus if the authorities find out you will both get a free holiday in one of Her Majesty's Holiday Camps. (Sorry Penal establishments)

Regards

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My shed floor has finally been completed, along with the wall racking. The baseboards have been ordered. The next step is to put my desk into the shed and begin to add some storage furniture, as well as fit RJ45 connectors on the network line to the house. I can then begin to use the shed for practical modelling work and (finally) clear the railway modelling equipment from my study, which will make me very happy.

post-27057-0-72105200-1547469105_thumb.jpg

post-27057-0-99304300-1547469121_thumb.jpg

post-27057-0-85199300-1547469166_thumb.jpg

post-27057-0-07703600-1547469205_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

A wonderful habitat to spend many hours fiddling away and immersing yourself in the beautiful world of railway modelling. 

Looking forward to seeing the layout grow and fill up all that space you have!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Do you have any design ideas on how the room/modelling area will be set up? Will be interesting to see what you can do with a completely blank canvas.

I have an 8' x 3' space in my layout room for workbench and painting area and trying to keep everything stored in an easy to find and reach manner is getting increasingly difficult! I have pretty much filled the space under the layout with larger items as well!!

Looking at the space you have, I dont see that being an issue!

Ian

Yes - the overall design plan for the shed is outlined in this post, although the track plan for the OO gauge layout has changed a little since then. I am still looking into storage options, but I am thinking a series of low cupboards and drawers on wheels to fit under the N gauge layout so that I can wheel them out of the way when working under the layout, together with boxes on wheels in which to put things like rolling stock in boxes or empty rolling stock boxes.

• Like 1

My father and I spent a lot of time to-day setting up my desk in the shed: I now have  it all set up along with my mini-desktop computer and a keyboard and mouse as well as a wi-fi router in "AI-Mesh" mode giving me a strong wi-fi signal in the shed whereas previously the signal did not reach to the far end of the shed. I had hoped to be able to connect my air conditioner/heater to the "MEL Cloud" this evening, too, but I am having some trouble with that. If anyone has any experience of Mitsibushi air conditioners and wi-fi connexions, I should be most grateful for any assistance. (I have written to their support and await a reply)

Whilst I await the construction of the baseboards, the next major consideration is storage: cupboards, drawers, shelves, waste bins, boxes and all manner of things will need to be considered. I have a fairly good idea of how to store tools and larger items, but I am still not quite sure how best to go about storing diverse small items such as screws, DCC decoders/blanking plates, couplers, springs, and the myriad other assorted tiny details and parts involved in railway modelling.

I had considered modular storage, but I do not think that I have enough desk space to devote enough of it to storage: I could probably manage a few pots for paint brushes and little else - see the picture for details. If anyone has any suggestions for free-standing storage for large numbers of small compartments, I should be grateful.

post-27057-0-62273600-1547939662_thumb.jpg

Edited by jamespetts
  • Like 2

Staples have the 15 drawer version at just under £120, about £25-£30 cheaper than most other places, don't know about casters, but you could fix it to an adjustable appliance mover which can be got for about £8.

Edited by Buhar

An adjustable appliance mover? An interesting idea. If I can get a cabinet with built-in castors, however, would that not be superior? I might well use the adjustable appliance mover for my flammable liquids cabinet, however, which I could not find with built-in castors in the right height.

I mis-remembered the price, they're about £12-£15.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Refrigerator-Fridge-Freezer-Appliance-Wheel-Adjustable-Trolley-Roller-Extendable/372419688748?epid=24011493294&hash=item56b5f1792c:g:wDQAAOSwHzdbliA9:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

You can get pairs of rollers that are cheaper but they only move in one plane unlike castors.  Some seem to adjust to smaller dimensions than others.  Built-in castors would probably be better (and quite possibly save an inch or two on height) but, for me, it would depend on the mark up on a castor-free version.  However, from experience, if something is under the layout you will need to move it one day so wheels of some sort are a must.

• Like 3

I have now moved all of the model railway related stuff into the shed, leaving a great deal more space in my study.

The next step is to obtain various sorts of wheeled storage, from Bisley cupboards on casters for small parts to Really Useful Boxes on casters for rolling stock, and cupboards and shelves on casters for books and larger items and put all of the things in there so that everything aside from the desk and test layout can be moved around the shed on casters in time for the baseboards to arrive.

51177113_10157079181033169_4433685273552

50713985_10157079181333169_4429464055140

• Like 3

Here is a 3d render from SCARM showing the planned layout of the storage: the dark brown is the desk; the light brown units are wooden cabinets on castors; the dark grey units are Bisley multi-drawers on castors; and the black units are Really Useful Boxes for rolling stock (in a stack with castors).

post-27057-0-21218700-1548623525_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Very impressive set up you have planned! I like the idea of shelf brackets around the outside. However, getting them all level would definately be a challenge for me!!

That is why I had a carpenter to do it! Gosh, I do not think that I could get them all level myself.

• RMweb Premium

I have a 15 drawer bisley which sits on a 5 quid castored plant pot stand from Lidl. 

This sort of thing only cheaper. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25-30cm-Wooden-Plant-Pot-Square-Wheels-Mover-Trolley-Caddy-Garden-Flower-Stand-/123462846362

All the assorted storage I have in the railway room is on castors, makes moving things about to get access to the railway a lot easier. For that matter so is the railway itself. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2091/entry-19250-the-baseboard-waltz/

• Like 1