Fitting out The Shed [Was: Unconverted loft? Expensive shed?]

• RMweb Gold

Might be better to say something constructive... like why you think that.

Sorry for the neg.

I have plans to board my loft properly, light it properly, insulate it properly, but I can't put any better stairs in than the ladder I have.

It won't be a habitable room, just somewhere that I can use to store things easily rather than the shambles it's turned into.

Would I think about informing the council? No. Will the council care? Probably not. But I understand from an external persons point of view, I'd be effectively turning it into a potential room. This is where H&S strays into madness. It's mad times we live in

To answer your question it is because Lofts, and their use of them, have a polarising effect between those that respect planning law and building control, and those that don't see it as a problem to ignore them.  I have highlighted 2 points in bold.

1 - It is not whether a council (Planning authority/building control) cares,  it's about whether any proposed alterations are subject to  permission and built to a standard.  

2 -  It has nothing to do with 'Health and Safety gone mad', although the health and wellbeing of the occupants is part of building to a better standard.

Quite a few loft threads have been deleted in the past (nothing to do with me) as they have descended into anarchy. This thread though has been very informative as the poster has really done his homework in seeking a quality space.

• Like 3

Its very important to understand the reasoning behind both planning permission and building control, its there to protect both the occupants, neighboring properties and the person developing the property from themselves/their builders.

In most cases everything goes well and in my case the use of incorrect materials by the builder was quickly flagged up. Planning consent can be quite contentious, but in my case a proposed development by a building group was denied as it was both outside the designated village development area and would put too much strain on the local resources.

Please remember what you do at your own property can affect your neighbours,

• Like 1

I wonder whether anyone has any views on the following question relating to windows: the full size windows would start 1m up from the floor. This would be lower than the OO gauge layout that I plan to have running along three walls, one of which would be the wall with the windows on it. I have asked the people who are to build the shed whether they can supply half height windows, but I am told that they can only provide either full height windows or relatively narrow high windows as shown in the attachment. Next to my workbench, I should still want a full height window for light maximisation purposes. These windows would all face north.

Thus, I can either have a shed with three identical windows along one side, but two of them would overlap with the fiddle yards, or a shed with two narrow, high windows and one large full sized window down the same side. I should be grateful for any views on what might be preferable.

Hi James

I would definitely not put Windows lower than the layout. Firstly you wouldn't be able to block off any light UV when not using train room. Sounds like the shed ppl only use a set size of window, not an issue when you do the build yourself.

Andy

Going back to distances a Shed must be from a boundary fence. When I built my shed (8M by 3M) I was told 1 Metre from Neighbours boundaries,but           2 Metres from a Highway!.   

Also a Flammable structure must be 5 Metres from the house.

Now this was 15 years ago and things may have moved on,but I throw this in as a Question as much as a fact. I hope that someone such as Crispy of Bedfordshire might answer.

Does a Railway line constitute a Highway !  I know if it's built on an embankment of course it's a High Way.   :stinker:

Regards, From the Shed.

Edited by CUTLER2579

• RMweb Gold

Afraid I haven't a clue, I rarely do outside buildings now, so I'd have to read up on what's allowed or get the local authority to clarify what they'd allow.

I did have a wooden garage at my own house that was 300mm from the boundary, I wanted to add a bit more to it for a couple of years until the new workshop was built and put it on a drawing (with house extensions & walls) and submitted it, Building control missed it and approved the drawing, then when they made first inspection they said I couldn't have it even though I had a drawing with 'Approved' stamped on it.  They got in quite a quandary, but as it wasn't ever to be permanent they ignored it until I then took it all down and built the new.

Edited by chris p bacon

Going back to distances a Shed must be from a boundary fence. When I built my shed (8M by 3M) I was told 1 Metre from Neighbours boundaries,but           2 Metres from a Highway!.   

Also a Flammable structure must be 5 Metres from the house.

Now this was 15 years ago and things may have moved on,but I throw this in as a Question as much as a fact. I hope that someone such as Crispy of Bedfordshire might answer.

Does a Railway line constitute a Highway !  I know if it's built on an embankment of course it's a High Way.   :stinker:

Regards, From the Shed.

There is a local government portal showing what is allowable without any building regs or planning consent, from memory up to 50% of your garden area could be used and it was height restrictions which dictated how close the garden shed could be to the boundary.

• RMweb Gold

There is a local government portal showing what is allowable without any building regs or planning consent, from memory up to 50% of your garden area could be used and it was height restrictions which dictated how close the garden shed could be to the boundary.

The very same local government portal where I ‘enquired’ About what was permitted filled out the on line form and got charged £440 for applying for building regs!

Its cost me half that much for the building inspector to keep an eye on a large extension (visits in double figures !!) + I had a free telephone conversation 2 years ago after reading the portal re sheds and what is allowed. The portal I looked at had no forms to fill in ?

Just a point on building reg costs, when I built mine they wanted a small fortune for the inspections. I did in fact get a reduced cost for the inspections because it didn't warrant that many visits. If memory serves I only had 4 visits. Costs are I think based on the sq footage if I remember.

Andy

I kinda know most of this off by heart

but seeing as the horse has his mouth open; here is the full SP on what you can and cannot do.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

In my case, I did spend some considerable time checking that in detail, and determined that my particular shed would be exempt from the requirement to obtain planning permission; I did put a link to that resource in my summary post above.

• Like 1

Regards, From the Shed.

Welcome to the world of negotiating with Network Rail Asset Management.  There is some info on their site, but I have a document that spells things out in more detail that I could send you.  Without re-reading it, I think they want 3m from the boundary (falling structures, including any scaffolding used in construction) and there are also issues with excavation (eg foundations), especially involving embankments, you have to draw imaginary lines to establish where the ground providing the stability of the embankment possibly continues into your property.

I had to fill in a form and provide method statements.

Welcome to the world of negotiating with Network Rail Asset Management.  There is some info on their site, but I have a document that spells things out in more detail that I could send you.  Without re-reading it, I think they want 3m from the boundary (falling structures, including any scaffolding used in construction) and there are also issues with excavation (eg foundations), especially involving embankments, you have to draw imaginary lines to establish where the ground providing the stability of the embankment possibly continues into your property.

I had to fill in a form and provide method statements.

Dear Buhar,

Thank you for your most  informative reply. I was interested in the Location of a Temporary structure i.e a Shed say 32 feet by 14 feet as an example.

It seems like a can of worms. Thanks for the offer of the document ,but I will decline thank you.

Regards,Cutler2579.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am so envious!!!! Would love a large model room in the garden - 30 x 12ft would do it!! No complaints about glue/paint fumes stinking up the house, have somewhere for my layout plus a work area with bench and all my tools etc, proper lighting - Man Cave to die for!!!!

• Like 3

Incidentally, does anyone have a good knowledge about security for a shed like this? The windows are all double glazed and the door has a BS3621 5 lever deadlock - within reason, what additional security measures are advisable?