Pre ordering new Farish class 31 who do you recommend

Paul-H

Hi all

I would like to place a pre delivery order for one of the new Farish Class 31's

What dealers do you all recommend for this sort if thing.

Rails of Sheffield do, what are they like for delivery on pre orders, also I see they take the money at the time of the pre order, is that normal practice.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I order via Kernow model rail centre, mostly because I can pop in a pick the item up when it arrives. I have generally been contacted very shortly after the item arrives.

Historically I have put in pre orders via Hattons - NEVER AGAIN -  the service that they provided (more than 10 days to send an order out after saying it had arrived, unable to speak to anyone, unable to raise a complaint) mean that I will never consider them again and would prefer to go without rather than use them again.

Edited by Andy Y
potentially libellous comment removed

With Rails do they take payment when you pre order as I just tried on their website and it took me to the taking payment page and give Farish's history on the releases I don't want over £100 of my money sitting in Rail's bank account for over a year, given it took a year for the Class 40 with sound to hit the shops and given that the 8F with sound announced at the same time as the Class 40 has never hit the shops.

Think it would be prudent to hang on until a little closer to December this year which is when it will probably arrive.

I did ask Rail's if they do take and hold payments on on-line pre-orders but not had a reply yet.

Paul

Your local model shop - you don't give a location so we can't tell you where that is. Go into the shop and order over the counter to collect when it comes out, then you can peruse what else they have.

However if you want a web shop I would suggest Collett's models as they offer a payment plan for pre-orders so you can spread the cost - only slight downside is you have to pay in full before the model lands but that is countered by having control of payment and not suddenly getting a huge bill land unexpectedly.

Personally I'd wait a little before ordering. On checking my notes (from the Bachnmann/Farish 2018 launch roadshow) both the new class 31s and the refurbished ones (with cut-away buffer surround) previously announced will be sound fitted and there will be a slight delay while the chassis is upgraded and the body tooling is amended to include speaker mountings in the roof - all six of both types will be Next18 decoder socket and speaker fitted for ease of sound installation.

G

I tend to split pre-orders depending on what I'm buying.

Obviously special editions have to go to Hattons/Kernow/whoever 

Likewise crowdfundeds go to the people responsible.

Others are mostly split between my two local model shops, Access of Newark and Sherwood Models.

Hope this all helps

Les

Thanks for the replies

Rails never bothered to reply to my email so I doubt I will be spending my hard earned with them.

Also given Farish's history of time taken from anouncment to release I think I will hold off ordering for now, given that the new class 40 took almost a year to arrive and the new 8F has never arrived, I don't think I will give an interest free lone for a year or more to anyone just yet.

Paul

But you wont be paying anything - pre-ordering is not pre-paying.

Also by pre-ordering you might save money - prices only rise and with a pre-order you have more chance of a retailer honouring the original price.

As an example I got my Gate Stock under £100, by the time they arrived they were £130

With Rails do they take payment when you pre order as I just tried on their website and it took me to the taking payment page and give Farish's history on the releases I don't want over £100 of my money sitting in Rail's bank account for over a year.

I did ask Rail's if they do take and hold payments on on-line pre-orders but not had a reply yet.

Paul

No they don't take the money straight away. Every time I have pre-ordered with them they only ask what method of payment I want to use. Since PayPal is used solely for model trains I find that RoS are the only retailers who allow pre-orders using PayPal. The payment page is simply for selecting the method you want to pay with when it does come to market. They won't take your money away.

Seeing that they are busy attending shows and expanding their shop I think it's only fair to give them a little time.

Thanks for the replies

Rails never bothered to reply to my email so I doubt I will be spending my hard earned with them.

Paul

You'll probably miss out on a good deal and all that just because of a simple email. There's endless reasons as to why they haven't responded. Maybe wait or even try other ways to contact them?? IMO your hard earned money is probably best spent at a friendly shop like RoS.

You'll probably miss out on a good deal and all that just because of a simple email. There's endless reasons as to why they haven't responded. Maybe wait or even try other ways to contact them?? IMO your hard earned money is probably best spent at a friendly shop like RoS.

If Hattons missed a simple email, there'd by a 10-page thread about it  :jester:

No they don't take the money straight away. The payment page is simply for selecting the method you want to pay with when it does come to market. They won't take your money away.

Just tried to pre order with rails using PayPal and it goes all the way through to taking the money on the next click, no indication at all that they are doing anything other than taking the full payment up front, unless I am missing something obvious.

It was the same with my credit card but I didn't see anything taken.

If you don't complete the transaction then you haven't actually pre-ordered the item, no one online sends you an email when an item comes into stock and asks you to log on and make payment.

The only different approach I have seen is Kernow where faced with unexpected costs they asked if we would accept payment being taken early, I didn't have to input my card details again as I had already done that at pre-order stage.

Talk  to  Arcadia  rail  Shaw  ( telephone dont  email)  or  Track Shack  Isle of  Man  or  De  Rails,,  you will be  pleased  with  the  srvice  from all   of  these  smaller  retailers

Have a  read  of  the  comments  in  the  Model  shop  forums.

Edited by Stevelewis

Just tried to pre order with rails using PayPal and it goes all the way through to taking the money on the next click, no indication at all that they are doing anything other than taking the full payment up front, unless I am missing something obvious.

You'll have to complete the process in order to actually place your order. I've never had any money taken from me. My recent order was last week. No money taken, just "pre-ordered". Even if they do take money, you're still left with two options, firstly you can ask them to refund the money until the order is actually processed and secondly you can simply cancel and get a full refund.