The furthest East working of Swindon steam

runs as required

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rodent279 said:

After a bit of trawling through Belgian Wikipedia, using my patchy French, I now understand that Type 32 was a derivative of Type 30, both MacIntosh designs, and derived from the Caledonian 812 class.

Could they have been built using imperial measurements rather than metric?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Could they have been built using imperial measurements rather than metric?

No doubt depends on the dimensional standards the Belgian factories were using.  If they were working to metric standards they would no doubt have converted the relevant dimensions to suit them.   Don't forget also that these engines had been in the hands of the ROD for some years so it's more than likely that they had passed through ROD workshops or had undergone repairs at the larger running sheds which would have menat repair etc using the material to hand which fitted the work being  done.

On 03/06/2020 at 12:23, rodent279 said:

After a bit of trawling through Belgian Wikipedia, using my patchy French, I now understand that Type 32 was a derivative of Type 30, both MacIntosh designs, and derived from the Caledonian 812 class. I wonder why they chose to send them all the way to Crewe, Swindon & Stratford, surely there were places in France that could have been reached just as easily? Even Ashford or Eastleigh would seem to be more within reach. Fascinating, would love to see the Swindon photo. I don't think it's mentioned in the Swindon Works book I've got.

IF ROD had sent them to French railway workshops they would never have seen them again. The French were notoriously reluctant to let their locomotives anywhere near the British sector, which is of course why ROD needed to bring over so many locomotives from Britain in the first place.