Jolt5's workbench

jolt5

Hey guys,

I am slightly apprehensive to start this thread but i have currently started trying to build model kits. I am only 17 but have a passion for engineer wagons from the 80's especially the electrification dept. The first kit I've built is this sncf mineral wagon from Parkside Dundas (PS 32) which runs really well but has now become a scrapped wagon which will be placed on a weltrol / lowmac.

post-17372-0-38182300-1518454293.jpg
post-17372-0-66241900-1518454297.jpg
post-17372-0-64209200-1518454301.jpg

I have learnt a lot and it is nowhere near perfect (for a start I'm waiting for decals in the post as i type this) but i am open to scrutiny and constructive criticism and any help anybody can give would kindly be received. My next kit i think shall be a Parkside Dundas medfit (pc 45).

thanks Jolt5  :good:

• Like 8

That’s a cracking bit of weathering as the above have said.

Cheers

Ade

Agreed! Really good weathering that we could all learn from :-) Show us how!

Your weathering is top notch

Don't suppose you could do a step by step could you?

What couplings do you use?

Show us some more please

Cheers

Scot

Thanks so much guys... hopefully my decals will come in the post in the next day or two. Meanwhile i've been experimenting on an old 21 ton HTO hopper i've found. I tried 5 different methods but i think i have found one i'm reasonably happy with, i'll post some pictures soon. I don't know when ill be doing such a heavy weathering job again but when i do ill be sure to document how i did it. For now its just pure experimentation. 

Hey guys,

Quick update from today and last night. My experimentation has lead to a unique looking wagon but i am rather happy with the finish on the last couple of pictures. It is by no means perfect and i will need to have some practice but it is coming along quite nicely. I have decided i need a better phone or camera as my picture quality is far from HD  :no:.   

post-17372-0-65601400-1518714694_thumb.jpg

post-17372-0-31650500-1518714647_thumb.jpg

post-17372-0-52571300-1518714676_thumb.jpg

post-17372-0-41586200-1518714636_thumb.jpg

Thanks for having a look. Any ideas on how i can improve please don't be scared to say... i need all the help i can get!

Cheers Jolt5

• Like 2

The top hopper panels 2&3 look really good and I like the rust bubbles under the paintwork on the lower one. Are you using salt? I know that's a technique I've used on some of my 1/35th tanks

keep up the good work

Scott

• Like 1

hey gobbler, 

thanks for the kind comment  :good:

The top hopper panels 2&3 look really good and I like the rust bubbles under the paintwork on the lower one. Are you using salt? I know that's a technique I've used on some of my 1/35th tanks

keep up the good work

Scott

In regards to your question I tried a couple of things to achieve this. I have used a acrylic textured rust paint from games workshop for the grit. I then cover the area in two coats of enamel Matt varnish because when i rub the grey paint off with a cotton bud i didn't want the rust paint underneath to come off... although it did a little on the third panel... my bad. If you'd like the paint numbers I can check when i get home if you would like.

any ideas on improving are kindly received. 

Cheers jolt5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been abit quiet... Ive been quietly dying in the corner of Influenza . Apart from Starting work on a grampus nearly 2 weeks ago not much else has happened. To add to my worries i am going to the menin gate with Air cadets this weekend so it might be a while till i get back into it all properly.

Edited by jolt5
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I can only apologies for my absence, life caught up with me and i had to stop the things i loved the most for exams and the such. Its summer again however which means its time to crack out the paint cans and have another go!!! Taking time away however means i had forgotten what i was doing. A quick trip to the local model store resulted in the purchase of 2 cheap wagons. A Bachmann 37-355A (13 ton steel sand tippler) and A Dapol B23 (3-Plank Open Wagon in grey). A quick look at Paul bartletts website ( http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmediumwood ) for inspiration and a few hours later and this is the result so far.

post-17372-0-02145400-1531167896_thumb.png post-17372-0-92346600-1531167886_thumb.png post-17372-0-59894500-1531167878_thumb.png post-17372-0-50866100-1531167864_thumb.png

In my opinion the wood is too bright for my liking and the dirt looks uneven but for my rookie skills i'm quite happy so far. I've also included a picture of the grampus i started many weeks ago but never quite finished. i hope you like them.

Edited by jolt5
  • Like 4

Went absolutely wild today and bit the bullet! I've never removed decals from a RTR wagon so i bought some T-cut and decided i would have a go.

post-17372-0-27142400-1531394233_thumb.png

Although the paint was removed i was quite content with the outcome.Next i wanted to replicate the wagon having a few repairs so i found a couple of shades of bauxite and added a few patches. It didn't look brilliant but replicates the look i was looking for i guess.

post-17372-0-21246700-1531394262_thumb.png

Next i added some decals i had purchased a while back. Crucially they had the correct Wheel base decal and a Tops code suitable for the wagon. This is the first time i've placed decals on a wagon, I have only ever done planes and tanks, therefore a coat of gloss varnish was applied and left to dry. Then the decals followed. (I forgot to take a picture of this). I have currently given the wagon a wash of bauxite to blend the patchwork and a wash of grey/black. The interior has had a dry bush of grey too but this is far from finished. 

post-17372-0-64049500-1531394243_thumb.pngpost-17372-0-25391500-1531394251_thumb.png

Any ideas on how to improve are very welcome! Also does anyone have any knowledge on how to make custom decals. I have tried but i don't have a clue where to start. Any advice would be well received.

Thanks, Jolt5

Edited by jolt5
  • Like 2

Any ideas on how to improve are very welcome! Also does anyone have any knowledge on how to make custom decals. I have tried but i don't have a clue where to start. Any advice would be well received.

Thanks, Jolt5

Somewhere in the depth of my cupboard, I have some inkjet transfer paper that I bought a while ago. Can’t remember where I bought it from - I’m away at the moment, but when I get back in a few days, I’ll have a look because I’m sure it has the sellers details on the envelope it came in. Almost certain it was an eBay purchase. I’ve never used it, so I don’t know what kind of quality they will be, but it might be worth a go. You simply design the decal on your favourite software and print it as though you were printing to standard paper. I’ll message you with any details I find in a few days

John

After printing the decal on a white or clear transfer sheet you need to spray a clear varnish over the top, not sure if this name is correct but I seem to recall "Johnson's klear" it worked well for a couple of birthday mugs I made for family, they've been washed a couple of times and still look good. It's all down to how fine your printer can print, these days even the cheapest of printers can print to a good definition. For the code boxes you'll need white paper and just print the black.

Good luck and post your results.

Scott

• Like 1

Thank you guys, 

Somewhere in the depth of my cupboard, I have some inkjet transfer paper that I bought a while ago. Can’t remember where I bought it from - I’m away at the moment, but when I get back in a few days, I’ll have a look because I’m sure it has the sellers details on the envelope it came in. Almost certain it was an eBay purchase. I’ve never used it, so I don’t know what kind of quality they will be, but it might be worth a go. You simply design the decal on your favourite software and print it as though you were printing to standard paper. I’ll message you with any details I find in a few days
John

After printing the decal on a white or clear transfer sheet you need to spray a clear varnish over the top, not sure if this name is correct but I seem to recall "Johnson's klear" it worked well for a couple of birthday mugs I made for family, they've been washed a couple of times and still look good. It's all down to how fine your printer can print, these days even the cheapest of printers can print to a good definition. For the code boxes you'll need white paper and just print the black.

Good luck and post your results.

Scott

I have had a go in photoshop but it was a rather crude attempt! I posted the question in another part of the forum and a lovely fellow member gave me some good advice. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135614-departmental-tops-fonts/&do=findComment&comment=3227284 The name of that decal paper would be very useful but for now i will practice on plain A4 office paper while i work out the Fonts and Templates i need.

Quick update of the finished wagon and its sister. Ive only done one side for now until i can make these decals as i want the single wagon to hold 2 different identities. 

post-17372-0-43503100-1531501203_thumb.png

post-17372-0-10129100-1531501216_thumb.png

Cheers, Jolt5

Edited by jolt5
  • Like 4

I checked where I got my decal paper from - www.mrdecalpaper.co.uk

This takes you to their eBay store. Haven't tried it yet, so can't comment on it's effectiveness, particularly with smaller creations. As Globbler says, to a certain extent it'll come down to your printers resolution.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, another Update! I was recently gifted some rather old (and clean) VEA vans. A quick weathering and a splash of paint and they have come out rather well i think. I have purchased some decals to renumber them (a sad after thought as i should have done that before weathering). We learn from our mistakes however.

post-17372-0-97848400-1532422720_thumb.png post-17372-0-53143800-1532422737_thumb.png

post-17372-0-78597000-1532422743_thumb.pngpost-17372-0-59677800-1532422749_thumb.png

Here is a sneak preview of my next project too. I bought 3 but one had a molding deformity. Dapols excellent customer service is sending me a replacement part in the post as we speak. Can anyone guess what they are?

post-17372-0-73963800-1532422729_thumb.png

cheers, Jolt5

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A little progress has been made on my Dapol 16 ton wagons. Looking at prototype pictures from the usual sources i decided on the way i would attempt this project. I have built one first and ill follow up with the other 3 later. I gave the firtst wagon a base of a dark brown colour. 

post-17372-0-95711100-1533321379_thumb.png

following this I then assembled the wagon. A fairly basic lit compared to the tanks and aircraft i've built in the past but no less enjoyable.

post-17372-0-81468500-1533321396_thumb.png

From here i then gave it 2 coats of matt varnish and a coat of Humboldt 140 to represent unfitted grey. Once dry i used a scalpel to remove the top coat of grey and leave paint scratches with the rust showing. I followed this with a light dry brushing of yellow and orange to blend the rust colour however i don't know if i like the look this gave. I finished the body with a coat of black wash. I may add another one yet to tone it down once decals have been applied. 

post-17372-0-22192100-1533321407_thumb.png

Finally this is my first conversion project ever. I decided for a low risk modification and that i would change one of the wagons to the re-bodied version (https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brmineralweld) without top doors here is the results so far it needs more work but i only started today. 

post-17372-0-33526200-1533321414_thumb.png

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

My return 2 years later...  Surprise!! 

Here's the nearly finished wagons I started some 2 years ago. A recent return to the hobby has spurred me to get them done!  I have a few other projects to finish too! IMG_20200430_223133.jpg.f31045397dc85936c60fe3c6c4d56c38.jpg

Sorry about the wait! 

Edited by jolt5
  • Like 2

A final touch up of black and Matt varnish to follow. I'm very happy with how these have turned out. They are to be used on a small scrap train so a load will need to be made eventually. IMG_20200502_174830.jpg.5a8cd4b5768a2fec22e41fccf3bf3edb.jpg

I plan to do some general underframe grime once I've obtained an airbrush but for now that can wait. 

My next project is to finish those Hornby VEAs I've had on the go for ages. 

Thank, jolt5

Edited by jolt5
  • Like 2