Lima King Model

Bazza

• RMweb Gold

I am currently trying to repair a friend's KGV. The loco wheels lock up going forwards and are very stiff going backwards. I suspect the centre driving wheel attachments for coupling and con rods. Does anyone still have a service sheet for these locos or remember dealing  with a similar problem, please?

Bazza

Does this model have that rather nasty lead alloy ballast weight inside the loco frames, like the Lima Crab does? If so, it may have swollen through contamination and forced the plastic frames apart sufficiently to drag on the wheels. This was a common Crab problem, but easily remedied by removing the weight, attacking it mercilessly with a file and then replacing it.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Lima models didn't have service sheets, at least none of mine did. I seem to recall that I managed to cause a similar stiffness in the driving wheels of my KGV as an inexperienced school-boy who screwed the keeper plate back on too tightly. Might be worth slightly loosening the screws and see if that helps. 

I was trying to get one running properly yesterday (To put on Ebay) and simply oiling the connecting rod pins with 3 in 1 oil made a big difference.  Wheels still lock up occasionally though.

Caution is advised as 3 in 1 oil is really too thick and not plastic compatible.

The motion needs to be very frre running and free from slop to not jam with a tender drive locomotive. Check for wear and expansion of the ballast weight. Filing is likely to be only a temporary solution as the alloy continues to disintegrate. A new weight from lead is probably the best solution.