Scalescenes retaining walls

Eyuppp

The walls do slope back, the buttresses sit on the surface but the front end is vertical. Behind are equivalent "upside down" pieces to provide support.

Of course, once you have the brickwork to print out you could do your own designs. For a shorter wall, I made everything on the vertical (rather than sloping back) and just made some flat buttresses

That's brilliant, thanks for confirming guys.  Looking at the website the walls appear vertical whilst the buttresses look upside down... but if you tilt the main wall back at an angle, the buttresses look more suited as the above photo shows.

At least the download gives flexibility which is what I wondered.

Thanks... quick to the download button..

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Building one of these kits up at the moment, I can confirm that the buttresses do work upside down, I've never seen a wall where the buttresses are thicker at the top that the bottom.

Surely if the wall is sloped back but the buttress is vercal being thicker at the top i orrect or am I missing something?

Tim T

• Agree 1

Hi,

Of all of the ones I've seen in real life, the thicker part of the buttress is at the bottom. The wall is most likely to burst at the bottom due to the weight of the material above.

With this kit, it is still possible for the wall to lean backwards, as the majority do, simply flip the buttress over so the thicker part is at the bottom and cut the bottom at a slight angle.

I'm part way through the build at the moment, so If you want to see what I've done, let me know and I'll post up some images for you.

Jon.

The thing about Scalescenes is you don't have to make them as they say.

Build your wall and design your own buttresses.

Just print extra brick sheets to cover whatever you design.

One tip I would give for making buttresses and other such items where you are required to layer card strips together is to use wood mouldings where possible from your local DIY store.

Lots of differing sizes and they give lovely sharp corner edges.

Dave.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I have had this picture in my files for longer than I care to remember, it clearly shows at the upper right a retaining wall with a 1:10 batter. The 'pillars' being variously mooted were a way of breaking up a big job into manageable lumps and terminating each section. They also gave a neat ending to a run of wall.

See also http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40546-retaining-walls-for-a-raised-car-parking-area/

456654505_Clearancesandsizes.jpg.0d4a2999dc44b13fc4bf856dbdf2fa99.jpg

Edited by Chubber
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1