GEAG

Baby Deltic

• RMweb Gold

I've been redirected here by PaulG and I hope that because I live firmly in LT&SR territory (5 minutes walk from a c2c station) I am not trespassing so to speak.

I love the 'Eastern and Eastern region and am looking forward very much to the forthcoming Hornby (black) L1 and B17. Recently invested in a Cravens as PaulG knows and thanks Paul for the info re close coupling. I think though that I will stick to the Kaydees - I shudder to take a saw to such an exquisite model. My Heljan BTH is also a cracking model in my estimation (see below).

My current layout Hawthorn Town is NER inspired but I am now tempted to change the station signs from tangerine to dark blue so that I can swap rolling stock fleets between the regions - a Jeckyl and Hyde layout with lift off "signature" structures (e.g signal box, etc).

I too live in LT&SR territory but it is about 20 minutes walk to the C2C station. Before they had to make provable claims some of the estate agents estimations of how long it took to get to the local station would have required top athletes to make the journey. I've always been interested in the idea of interchangeable buildings but haven't ever got that far.

Best wishes

Tony

I too live in LT&SR territory but it is about 20 minutes walk to the C2C station. Before they had to make provable claims some of the estate agents estimations of how long it took to get to the local station would have required top athletes to make the journey. I've always been interested in the idea of interchangeable buildings but haven't ever got that far.

Best wishes

Tony

Tony,

I use c2c every work day (East Tilbury to Fenchurch St) and thence LUL Tower Hill to Victoria, although I usually walk from Fenchurch Street to Monument for the extra exercise. The journey is fine but some of the people you share it with........I won't go on. But what a mess they have made of the front of Fenchurch Street - a beautiful Victorian LT&SR facade with the monstrous modern stuff towering everwhere above it and around it. If building a bigger a terminus - fiddleyard layout I a tempted to model the facade. It would lend itself I think to a model railway setting - the station itself has only 4 platforms comprising of two finger/island platforms so is perhaps the right scale. I would also love to model the approach viaducts and roof tops. But currently I do not have the space :(

If you follow the link to my layout on the old forum you will see it folds up into a box shape - it has to, I haven't got a permanent home for it....but my eldest daughter is hinting she might be moving out soon so a spare bedroom might appear I'm keeping everything crossed! :) Anyway, I digress. So the signal box and the station building are not welded to the layout, they are detachable. hence the possibility of Jeckyl and Hyde.

regards,

Brian.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Norfolk & District Modular Railway Club is a new club aiming to build an HO North American modular layout to NRMA standards.

We meet Every other Saturday at the Burgh St Peter Village hall near Beccles, Suffolk.

We are looking for extra members, if anyone is interested please PM me for more details.

Next meet is this Saturday 19th November starting at 9.30am

• 6 months later...

Please may I join in.

GE city of London end about 1914 or so . mainly to cover my other interest which is WW 1 early vehicles etc.

Used to live in West Ham and worked in Barking so could choose to travel GE or LTSR as my place of work was about ten minutes walk from Barking or five from Upney.

Please may I join in.

GE city of London end about 1914 or so . mainly to cover my other interest which is WW 1 early vehicles etc.

Used to live in West Ham and worked in Barking so could choose to travel GE or LTSR as my place of work was about ten minutes walk from Barking or five from Upney.

Just a little later than me - East London 1890s-1900s in S7. See here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

hi

im new to this site so just wondering if anyone knows what rolling stock was used on the wherry line Norwich to Yarmouth as im doing a layout of acle and would

be greatful of any help looking for period of 1940s to 1960s please

thanks shaun

ps if im in the wrong bit forgive me and point me in the right direction please thanks

Hi Shaun

Not an easy question to answer here, but I'll list a few books titles which may help.

Presumably by the term "rolling stock" you mean carriages and wagons, not locomotives. However, with the widespread introduction of DMU's operating out of Norwich from 1955, this had a major impact and reduction of steam hauled secondary and branch line services in Norfolk.

Railways in East Anglia, as happens today, seam to survive on cast-offs from other areas. GER carriages could still be seen on branch line services in the 1950s, having been cascaded down from main line use, as first LNE Gresley and the LNE Thompson carriages were introduced on the more important services. From the early 1950s these in turn slowly replaced by BR MK1stock.

Wagons is an even more interesting subject, not that well documented compared with the wealth of details and photographs of locomotives. Because of the general pooling of railway company general freight stock during the First World War and the additional pooling of private owner wagons (except special vehicles) during the Second World War, wagons were sent were traffic demanded.

The Great Eastern Railway Society has published a number of articles which cover the line (Acle Station appeared in Journal 105 January 2001) and if you haven't already got the following books, suggest you buy/loan them from a library:

• J.D. Mann has produced a number of A4 size booklets. "Aspects of East Anglian Steam Vol 3 On the GE 1950-1962" has a number of photos relevant to the Norwich-Yarmouth line.
  • The late Dr Ian C Allen produced five photographic albums his first, "East Anglian Album" has photographs of a Britannia on ecs - carriages look all BR MK1 in 1959 on the line, Class F6 and L1 on a Lowestoft-Norwich slow and L1 at Brundall on a Midlands express via Acle.
  • "Steam around Norwich" by Richard Adderson Becknell Books has a number of useful photographs
  • "Railways of Norwich" John Brodribb Ian Allan 1994 also
  • Middleton Press now doubt also produce a book on the line.

I hope the above is of interest

Paul

• 2 years later...

Been a while since anyone has put anything up here.

I remember sitting in the 3rd floor art rooms at Brampton school (Sadly no longer there) in Witham during the early 80's watching 31's, 37's & 47's hauling passenger and freight trains. Some of the 37 hauled freight were double headed.

More recently, through Marks Tey, I've seen a 37 paired with a 20 hauling nuclear flasks.

My interest these days is 50's & 60's Essex branch lines like Maldon and South Minster

Archived