A nice bit of shunting 1968 style

• RMweb Gold

Slightly surprised to see a Hymek on a Gloucester trip...

A year or two earlier suspect would have been a Class 14 - thought the 22s replaced them on these workings

Phil

This is the kind of video that appeals to me, steam engines preferably, shunting wagons around is much more interesting than express passenger trains rushing by at line speed hauled by the usual stock of restored locos. 

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

That's how we done it back in the day right enough; hump and marshalling yard working were even more, er, lively.  Shunting was got on with so that there was time for a break, or an early finish if possible, within the bounds of reasonable safe working.  Coaching stock was treated a bit more gently, but often 'loose' shunted without the vacuum pipes connected within station limits; of course, the screw couplings meant that things had to be brought to a stand so that the shunter could go in between safely in a way not apparent with the skilled use of a shunting pole and brake stick, when matters could proceed quite quickly!

Very slow movements were used in goods yards and especially where goods sheds and loading platforms were involved, as men may be working in the vans or wagons and gentle buffering up is needed; also many such locations featured very tight clearances and blocked sightlines, so great care was required.  But anyone who lived near a yard where proper shunting was done was familiar with the sound of buffers hitting each other with a good bit of force, and the clink of instanters dropped over hooks or dropped against the chassis.  At Severn Tunnel Junction, where the traincrew cabin was opposite the down marshalling hump yard, we were often treated to a good loud bang followed by a cloud of brake block and other dust shaken off the impacted vehicles; I had to jump off a brake van here due to being attacked in the rear in this way once!  I may have been impolite about the hump control...

Happy days, thank for this, Phil.

• Like 2

What a great find Phil, thanks for sharing that! I love hunting, could happily do it all day long, preferably with something other than a 66...

Maybe not something you'd want admit to in certain parts of the world, especially if there's a couple of hungry lions about :jester:

Edited by great central
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"Things the Real Railway did that are hard to model".

No.1 - Fly Shunting.

;)

I reckon it is probably impossible - I really don't see how any overscale hand can get in there to knock off a coupling while someone else accelerates the loco away then changes the points between the loco and the uncoupled wagon rolling along behind.  Bad enough and dangerous enough doing it full size hence it was very strongly frowned upon and only supposed to be carried out - where it was permitted - 'by experienced staff'.  

Even loose shunting, as seen with the brakevan in the linked video,  is not going to be easy on a model railway as the still wagons need some mass to keep them going once uncoupled.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Particularly if the van has pick ups fitted Mike...although if they are there for lights I guess they could also power a motor....

And thanks for clarifying fly shunting ...decidedly dodgy as you say and cant find a video of the practice as you describe it....

Phil

Thanks for posting this Phil.  I got a chance to visit Sharpness last summer, it doesn't look much like the film anymore.  I spent a little while looking around the engine shed and the various restorations going on, unfortunately its very hard to take pictures as its such a cramped facility, but still worth  the visit.  I did have a nice chat with a gentleman in the rear yard for about an hour discussing everything from railway preservation to politics!! 

I really hope they succeed in their goals of reopening the line. It would be nice to see a preserved railway somewhere 'local'. (I grew up in Cam, coming to Canada in 1981 when I was 13).

• Like 2

And thanks for clarifying fly shunting ...decidedly dodgy as you say and cant find a video of the practice as you describe it....

Phil

OK I was a bit loose (pardon the pun!) with my use of the term 'Fly shunting', but I do have a couple of DVDs showing proper fly shunting in recent years on a couple of American Short Lines - obviously they describe it as fly switching, or switching 'on the fly'. It's even more impossible (if that's correct grammar !!??) to model than the UK version, trying to release a buckeye coupler still under tension!!

It is feasible in 4mm,we can do it in the yard on Buchshee.

Certain things need modifying to magnetic action, and instant loco deceleration is necessary to enable the wagon's inertia to continue its movement.

Buch McInroy, the layout's instigator does it with his Kadee equipped stock, mind he has had a few years experience. Myself, I am creating a few wagons with'Kirby'staple modified couplings on one end and just a loop at the other.

The most successful technique so far is to 'fly' the looped wagon, leaving the hooked wagon attached to the loco. But timing is all, but when it works, so satisfying

Then, how does the fly wagon decelerate, considering its deliberately increased weight? Surprisingly easy. A row of Chinese nymidium magnets in between the sleepers make a grab at the steel axles of the wagon as it passes.

It is a case of much experimentation, but it is possible.

PS -no chance with 3-link couplers.

I have considered a model hump yard, hence the retardersbeing developed.

A superb post, Phil

Back in the 50s and 60s, our understanding of fly shunting was that the wagons after being uncoupled were pushed to gain momentum, then the loco slowed, enabling the cut of wagons to roll on their merry way, a shunter(man, not engine), may run alongside to slow a further decoupled cut to enable a point change in between.This would be done by dropping the brake lever out of its travel position and then push this down to increase braking.

In a couple of chapters,Gerry Fiennes'book ' I tried to run a railway' is beautifully descriptive of yard shunting and some of its characters in his life, well worth a read for any serious modeller, many a chuckle therein.

• RMweb Premium

I reckon it is probably impossible - I really don't see how any overscale hand can get in there to knock off a coupling while someone else accelerates the loco away then changes the points between the loco and the uncoupled wagon rolling along behind.  Bad enough and dangerous enough doing it full size hence it was very strongly frowned upon and only supposed to be carried out - where it was permitted - 'by experienced staff'. 

A powered wagon and some very quick and deft use of DCC might do it but it would be tricky, especially convincingly. Or maybe with magnetic (de)coupling? I could see it being easy to get wrong and end up with derailed wagons, but I suppose that would be prototypical enough hence very strongly frowned upon.

• RMweb Gold

That's how we done it back in the day right enough; hump and marshalling yard working were even more, er, lively.  Shunting was got on with so that there was time for a break, or an early finish if possible, within the bounds of reasonable safe working.  Coaching stock was treated a bit more gently, but often 'loose' shunted without the vacuum pipes connected within station limits; of course, the screw couplings meant that things had to be brought to a stand so that the shunter could go in between safely in a way not apparent with the skilled use of a shunting pole and brake stick, when matters could proceed quite quickly!

Very slow movements were used in goods yards and especially where goods sheds and loading platforms were involved, as men may be working in the vans or wagons and gentle buffering up is needed; also many such locations featured very tight clearances and blocked sightlines, so great care was required.  But anyone who lived near a yard where proper shunting was done was familiar with the sound of buffers hitting each other with a good bit of force, and the clink of instanters dropped over hooks or dropped against the chassis.  At Severn Tunnel Junction, where the traincrew cabin was opposite the down marshalling hump yard, we were often treated to a good loud bang followed by a cloud of brake block and other dust shaken off the impacted vehicles; I had to jump off a brake van here due to being attacked in the rear in this way once!  I may have been impolite about the hump control...

Happy days, thank for this, Phil.

And of course wagons were branded "No Loose shunting"

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=dElq9BTC&id=BDD6BC7D4CBC9BAC80ECF35FE6EC9E924F29DC35&thid=OIP.dElq9BTCpDefSgzy_3A7VwHaB2&q=oxford+car+flat+wagons&simid=608006859697360662&selectedIndex=3&ajaxhist=0

- but no doubt some wag would argue it doesn't say anything about fly shunting....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

And of course wagons were branded "No Loose shunting"

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=dElq9BTC&id=BDD6BC7D4CBC9BAC80ECF35FE6EC9E924F29DC35&thid=OIP.dElq9BTCpDefSgzy_3A7VwHaB2&q=oxford+car+flat+wagons&simid=608006859697360662&selectedIndex=3&ajaxhist=0

- but no doubt some wag would argue it doesn't say anything about fly shunting....

Phil

A catch all to save writing no fly/hump/rope etc shunting!

Mike.