Another Challenge ?

bgman

Hi All,

It is a shame to read negative comments about a hobby we all enjoy. It might not be for everyone but if we can show people that coming together in a team you can have a laugh and maybe achieve something then that will only be a good thing. I’ve never kept my hobby a secret and you’ll be amazed at the response you get from people and I worked with a lot of women over the years who actually find it quite interesting. If the hobby becomes a secret society then how will you ever get people interested. After putting my big mouth in it over on DEMU and Clive taking up the facilitation role of leader to assemble a bunch of Modellers who sort of know who each other but have never really all met up or worked together on a layout before I hope we are included. We are all doing it because we want to and I think we will all enjoy it and have a laugh.

Cheers

Mark aka part of the elite Diesel Dynamos

• Like 1

There was a similar storm of frothing negativity about the Scottish exercise. As things turned out it was largely unjustified and the whole thing was, IMHO, largely successful and an overall positive for  those of us who enjoy playing with little trains. On that basis I'm far more inclined to go with the hopefuls rather than the doomsayers on this one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done, Clive!

Just make sure you stick to the competition's rules!  :mosking:

Good luck!

Rules? What are they?

Oh, that's right - strips of wood or metal, with markings on them. I believe some people use them for measuring things. Personally, I prefer a micrometer.

Wait a minute - I seem to recall something out of "Reach for the Skies":

"Rules are there for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."

Whatever the score about any rules, I somehow suspect the series might feature a number of "virtual teams".

Time will tell.

Huw.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been away from the forum for quite a while whilst occupied with other modelling activities, so please enlighten me with a quick recap. Any more info?

A team from my local club has entered and been accepted they have a rule book to comply with, a budget to buy materials etc, and are being supplied with a ready built base board, I think that the filming is taking place  in June over 3 days ,should be interesting viewing!!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am looking forward to seeing the teams compete and the results when creativity, innovation, inginuity, mangement and engineering skills are put against the clock.

I dont really care about peoples opinion of my chosen hobby. I dont hide it from anyone, I am not ashamed, and I am really not worried about being stereo-typed. There are interesting characters in all walks of life, and to stereotype/or be embarressed by being associated with a stereotype is just silly. Yes, TV will always pick on those interesting characters because they make good TV and they give something for us non-interesting characters to whince, cringe, whinge and moan about. It stimulates conversation. Any publicity for our hobby is a good thing and if it encourages children/adults to take up the hobby, and potentially stops well known brand name manufacturers from going out of business then its positive. Its doubtful it will cause current modellers to stop modelling, so how can this have a negative impact? At the absolute worst, it will alieniate us a little further and raise a few more eye brows when we tell people what our hobby is - believe me, I have put up with an awful lot worse over my life and still survived!!!!

I have a static model on display at work, my LMS Patriot Unknown Warrior calendar on full display, pics of trains and my layout on Facebook and conversations at work has resulted in at least two colleagues wanting to start a layout of their own as it poked child-hood memories and sparked their creative sides. 

I enjoyed the scottish challenge and thought it went very well indeed. 

Good luck to all the teams, I hope you thoroughly enjoy the experience and do your best!! I will be watching, but glad I am not putting myself out in front of the cameras for the vultures to pick over!!

Ian - 47 & 3/4's, Norfolk

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

ianLMS, it looks as if you will be able to watch some of the challenge earlier than anticipated:

GMRC_logo.jpg.af4b1cac1231efc25ad4aa489c9aeb15.jpg

.....CALLING ALL MODEL RAILWAY ENTHUSIASTS…..CALLING ALL MODEL…..CAL
RAILWAY ENTHUSIASTS…......CALLING ALL MODEL RAILWAY ENTHUSIASTS…..C

This Summer, for the first time on British television, some of the UK’s most talented railway modelers will be taking part in a brand new TV series for Channel 5 – The Great Model Railway Challenge.

Each week three teams of modelers will compete to build the most jaw-dropping layout possible in just two and a half days. Their builds will be judged by a panel of industry experts and are being fully sponsored by Peco, Bachmann, Gaugemaster, Hornby, Metcalfe and Deluxe Materials - so expect some spectacular results.

If you would like to attend a day’s filming at this unique event, as a member of the studio audience, and help decide which layout should progress to the final, then you would be most welcome.

The filming dates are as follows: 18th May, 23rd May, 26th May, 1st June and 9th June.

The filming location is the spectacular Fawley Hill estate, near Henley-On Thames, home of the late Sir William McAlpine and his legendary collection of railway memorabilia. http://fawleyhill.co.uk/find-us/

Audience members will need to make their own way the location (there is ample parking space) arriving at 1pm on their chosen filming day. Light refreshments will be provided before filming starts at 2pm. Filming will end between 6pm and 7pm.

If you and any of your friends would like to attend then please email Molly at Knickerbockerglory TV and she will ad your names to the guest list:

molly@knickerbockerglory.tv

Many thanks.

Edited by Ian Morgan
re-loaded image

Any publicity for our hobby is a good thing

Only if it is good publicity.

And yes, there is such a thing as bad publicity. Try asking Murdoch about phonetapping.

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Heat 2 of the Great Model Railway Challenge complete now. It was jolly hard work, but lots of fun too. It is quite impressive what can be achieved with one hundred and forty four man-hours of hands-on modelling without the usual interleaved prevaricating. I for one will be looking forward to see what the teams have produced in the other heats. If you are near enough to go and watch as an audience member you should see some excellent modelling close up - heat 3 should be well underway now (the times and dates shown above are probably wrong so make sure to contact Molly for correct details and availability before travelling).

(Big) Paul

Artistic Designer

TL Ninjas

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Attended the final heat today as an audience member. I understand that the grand final is being recorded next week, but its a private invite only.

We were requested not to post any images of the layouts on social media, which is understandable.  Its also a shame because the layouts today were very nicely put together!  I shall post these up when the programme goes live.  However I understand that images outside the filming venue are fair game, especially as they will be familiar to anyone who has visited the Fawley Hill Estate. So whilst we wait for the grand final to be filmed, and the editing to take place, here's a few snaps to whet your appetite!

post-7653-0-58427900-1528577247_thumb.jpg

post-7653-0-04021000-1528577232_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Also posted here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132508-the-great-model-railway-challenge/&do=findComment&comment=3202414

This post has been removed because I have received word that everything I thought lost, has now been found.

A heartfelt thanks to all on this group who showed such caring and support.

Pepsi

post-2139-0-85960300-1529213106_thumb.jpg

post-2139-0-30402600-1529213182_thumb.jpg

post-2139-0-62768000-1529213195_thumb.jpg

Edited by ukpepsi