Another Challenge ?

bgman

Living in the US I use the TuneIn ap a lot to listen to usually either Radio 2 or Classic FM whilst modelling or painting (pictures not walls). To my perception both have similar music time versus non-music time on air. However I often find the chat between songs on the Beeb far more annoying than the very repetitive adverts on Classic FM - somehow I am able to tune them out.....

I would suggest that the winning entry would become  a 'celebrity' layout and fetch a nice price on ebay and so I think who owns it does matter.

Maybe the TV production team should auction the finished layouts for charity or donate them to schools for special needs kids or something.

Just do something nice for the community.

Can we please get back on topic.

We should refer the question to the OP.

But As one of the band of SOS regulars, I doubt if he gives a toss about thread drift.  :D

But As one of the band of SOS regulars, I doubt if he gives a toss about thread drift.  :D

In One !

I stand firm on the matter.

I.T.Hankyou

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

But As one of the band of SOS regulars, I doubt if he gives a toss about thread drift. :D

The word "thread" implies some form of... well form, I suppose?

Jacques Strapp

• RMweb Gold

The word "thread" implies some form of... well form, I suppose?

Jacques Strapp

Didn't he play for United a good few years ago now manager at Reading.  :scratchhead:

Dicky Davis 

Edited by 81C

• 4 weeks later...

I was approached by Daniella last week, she wanted to know if our club would be interested in taking part in the series. After speaking to her on the phone for about 10 minutes I came away feeling that participating in the show would be very interesting, and beneficial.  I can understand all the doubts around somthing like this, but bloody hell you lot are cynical!

I was given an outline of the project. They want 12 teams of six people, they are to "complete amazing creations and getting the best results in the limited time" they will have access to the best equipment and will be assisted.The show will be backed up the the major model rail manufacturers who will supply all the materials needed.

Filming will start within the next few months, there will be 4 initial episodes, each episode will be a 3 day shoot, episode 5 is the semi final, (3 day shoot),  episode 6 is the final. 

The location is to the west of London and accomodation will of course be provided.

I do not think for one minute that they are expecting a full blown layout to be made in such little time, but thats about all I was told about the format. My take is that it would be a great experience to be involved in something like this. I also thought of all the left over materials, stock, track, scenic materials that wouldn't be needed after filming, and could possibly be put to good use at my N gauge club!   Do I care if they tried to make us look like nerds?   not really, if I was getting something out of it. The nice young lady assured me that it would not be the case of making us look silly when I spoke to her again today.

However, she did happen to mention that the focus would be on OO as there is more material available in this gauge. 

And unfortunately thats where this story ends for us, as after the initial positive response from our club members, once they were told at our meeting tonight that it was to be OO only, they did not want to know.  So we are out of this.

Personally, I feel that the right people with real skills could actually do the hobby some good and showcase what some of us can do and achieve.

As a foot note, I have had experiences of television companies making films/ documentaries about hobby clubs. A slot car club I was once involved with were the subject of two such documentaries. We had a few idiots at the club, and guess who they always focused on???   My advice to anyone taking part in this show is to make sure your team only has sensible people in it.

• Like 4

Hi All, 

It's great to see our programme has created so much excitement on here! Some of the 'team photos' have really made me smile this afternoon!

We are coming towards the end of our casting process and we are keen to make sure we've reached out to as many people involved in the hobby as possible. RMWeb admins have kindly allowed me to post on this thread, which is great because it seems to be the beating heart of the online railway community! 

There have been many developments since that flyer went into circulation. And I thought I'd take the opportunity to answer a few queries that have been raised on this thread: 

- Our aim is to bring this beloved hobby to a wider audience and we are working alongside market leader manufacturers, magazines, exhibition organisers and professional modellers to ensure that this programme is authentic and true to the hobby.

- We want to showcase the remarkable skills of British model makers and shine a light on the fantastic diorama and layouts usually only appreciated by those involved in the hobby.

- The programme aims to show audiences the years of commitment and care that goes into these models whilst also demonstrating that it's a hobby that anyone can take up should they have the interest and that it's accessible to all. 

- The competition is intended to be friendly and positive, encouraging teams to create something incredible and unique on screen. We as a production team and our manufacturer partners will do all we can to support the teams to create the best models possible in the time allowed. 

- Filming will take place in Henley in May and June 2018 and competitors would need to commit to filming for at least 3 weekdays filming for the heats and a further 6 days if they successfully progress to the semi final and final.

- We will cover costs for teams transportation and accommodation, refreshments, meals etc. And crucially building materials! 

- This programme has been commissioned by Channel 5 and has nothing to do with any previous model railway programmes. 

For further information or to discuss any of the above in more detail, please don't hesitate to call me or Daniella on 02087406300 or email bryher@knickerbockerglory.tv or daniella@knickerbockerglory.tv to register your interest.

Application deadline is looming! We are going to start signing off teams at the beginning of April. So please don't hesitate to get in touch :)
Edited by bryherw
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Suzie, on 16 Feb 2018 - 20:38, said:

No greater incentive to finish a layout than it being judged.

I can easily think of other ‘incentives’ to get a layout finished, principally for the pleasure of the builder(s), who have invested a significant amount of mental and emotional energy into it, plus time and (probably) money.

Any layout might take ten years to finish, but 95% will be done in the first fortnight anyway.

I’m glad to see that interplanetary travel has advanced to the stage that you are able to come to Earth from whatever planet you were on, when you made that statement (but apologies for my sarcasm if you are actually one of those talented people who can actually work with such speed and 'right-first-time' accuracy).

Beacon, on 16 Feb 2018 - 23:30, said:

I think the format could easily resemble the recent Lego challenge.

And there’s another hobby activity demeaned by the TV cameras and production companies’ desire for ‘drama’ and ‘tension’.

rue_d_etropal, on 19 Feb 2018 - 22:25, said:

Modelling against the clock, is not the problem.

Perhaps not for you and others, but for me, and I suspect a great many of us, imposing any kind of deadline to what is supposed to be a relaxing and pleasurable hobby is a complete turn-off.

rue_d_etropal, on 20 Feb 2018 - 12:18, said:

Like the idea of some international teams. I wonder if they underestimated the potential for this program. Maybe it could lead to something bigger, with regional heats and then a final with the best from each region.

Oh dear. Oh dear. Really?

Perhaps everyone involved should all wear T-shirts or some kind of sporting attire with their regional or national flags/logos on them. A podium, perhaps, where the Lostwithiel winner of that particular heat can stand in all his or her earnest solemnity and salute the flag of St Piran, as the off-screen orchestra plays ‘Squire Trelawny’.

Huw Griffiths, on 20 Feb 2018 - 17:29, said:

the tone of this thread seems to have turned more positive again - instead of an irritating cacophony of negativity

I’m sorry for feeling the need to share my views, Huw, as I normally find your posts elsewhere on the forum informative and interesting. I can do 'irritating' and 'negativity' quite easily, however, having trained for it all my life.

bryherw, on 20 Mar 2018 - 18:30, said:

Our aim is to bring this beloved hobby to a wider audience

Interesting word for you to use, Bryherw, to whom is it actually ‘beloved?’ To us, here on this forum, certainly, and in the wider world of ‘model railways’, but to you and the others in the production team? How many of you in ‘television land’ were actually interested in this hobby before someone decided to do a reality TV programme on it? (just wondering).

I fully appreciate that many of the posters on this thread seem to be very enthusiastic for this TV programme. That is indeed your right to feel that way and I hope it brings you much pleasure.

Perhaps those who, like me, feel concerned about the way this could end up portraying our ‘beloved hobby’, together with those who (also like me) are increasingly dismayed at the desire of profit-seeking TV executives to turn innocent past times such as painting, needlework, cookery etc. and now model railways, into stress-inducing competitive activities, are staying away from this thread?

Let’s not kid ourselves here – the TV company is out to make money. This kind of programme, as evidenced by previous shows featuring hobbies/activities like pottery, needlework/clothes making, interior design, painting, Lego, cookery, gardening, music, Kirstie’s Christmas challenges (have I missed any others out) thrives on tension and, consequently, stress. There is almost always that ridiculous wait at the end of each ‘heat’, to some supposedly tension-inducing background music, for the unlucky loser to be declared and then ejected from the competition.

Why do we need to introduce tension and stress into our hobby? Why does everything have to be competitive these days? Who really gets into this hobby to become stressed and experience tension? I know I am not alone in wanting my modelling to take me away from the tension, stress and general competitiveness of many aspects of everyday life.

I strongly feel that programmes like this usually end up demeaning the hobby or activity that is being featured. Not necessarily in every case, but good quality modelling is hardly something that benefits from being done against the clock.

I admire those (relatively few, I would have thought), who can produce high quality models accurately and quickly, ‘right-first time’ if you will. I am surely not the only one who needs to (and likes to) take his time, to ensure that each stage of the modelling process is done correctly and to the required standard? How can having a ticking clock help that? (exhibition deadlines, by the way, is something that I have done in my time and now reject. I would rather not exhibit something, than risk rushing it and ending up with something ‘sub-standard’).

Perhaps the winner of ‘The Big Painting Challenge’ receives well-earned praise for his or her work. But perhaps he/she also thinks that the work could have been so much better without the ticking clock? In which case, as far as I am concerned, I would consider my time and effort to be largely wasted, if it didn’t contribute towards achieving the very best that I might be capable of. In other words, that painting might well have won that competition, but if it was me doing it, I would probably consider it a ‘second best’ effort and, therefore, not representative of what I would otherwise know I am capable of.

Fair play, though, to the RTR manufacturers, if this gives them some additional publicity and perhaps helps a few new people into the hobby. That is possibly the only advantage I can see for ‘the hobby’ itself but my gut feeling is that, on balance, the risk of negative outcomes is higher.

I certainly do not intend to insult any individuals on this forum who are keen on this programme, but I fear for the way the participants could get portrayed, when the filming is finished and everyone has gone home. The editorial process of putting each final programme together is going to be completely outside of your control. Each person is going to have to be very careful indeed about everything you say and do on camera, because that is what the rest of the TV-viewing public is going to see. Trying to be mindful of never putting a foot wrong in that respect just seems to add an additional layer of stress. But if that really doesn’t bother you, then fine.

When I told CTMK that model railways was now also to be the subject of one of these ‘challenge’ shows, she just guffawed with laughter because we’ve talked about the possibility of model railways getting targeted and how I always dismissed the idea as ridiculous. Well, that’s put me in my place, hasn’t it?

But at the end of the day, to those who really are fired up by this and end up taking part, I hope it goes well for you and that you derive enjoyment from the process.

• Like 3

No greater incentive to finish a layout than it being judged.

I can easily think of other ‘incentives’ to get a layout finished, principally for the pleasure of the builder(s), who have invested a significant amount of mental and emotional energy into it, plus time and (probably) money.

Any layout might take ten years to finish, but 95% will be done in the first fortnight anyway.

I’m glad to see that interplanetary travel has advanced to the stage that you are able to come to Earth from whatever planet you were on, when you made that statement (but apologies for my sarcasm if you are actually one of those talented people who can actually work with such speed and 'right-first-time' accuracy).

Beacon, on 16 Feb 2018 - 23:30, said:

I think the format could easily resemble the recent Lego challenge.

And there’s another hobby activity demeaned by the TV cameras and production companies’ desire for ‘drama’ and ‘tension’.

rue_d_etropal, on 19 Feb 2018 - 22:25, said:

Modelling against the clock, is not the problem.

Perhaps not for you and others, but for me, and I suspect a great many of us, imposing any kind of deadline to what is supposed to be a relaxing and pleasurable hobby is a complete turn-off.

rue_d_etropal, on 20 Feb 2018 - 12:18, said:

Like the idea of some international teams. I wonder if they underestimated the potential for this program. Maybe it could lead to something bigger, with regional heats and then a final with the best from each region.

Oh dear. Oh dear. Really?

Perhaps everyone involved should all wear T-shirts or some kind of sporting attire with their regional or national flags/logos on them. A podium, perhaps, where the Lostwithiel winner of that particular heat can stand in all his or her earnest solemnity and salute the flag of St Piran, as the off-screen orchestra plays ‘Squire Trelawny’.

Huw Griffiths, on 20 Feb 2018 - 17:29, said:

the tone of this thread seems to have turned more positive again - instead of an irritating cacophony of negativity

I’m sorry for feeling the need to share my views, Huw, as I normally find your posts elsewhere on the forum informative and interesting. I can do 'irritating' and 'negativity' quite easily, however, having trained for it all my life.

bryherw, on 20 Mar 2018 - 18:30, said:

Our aim is to bring this beloved hobby to a wider audience

Interesting word for you to use, Bryherw, to whom is it actually ‘beloved?’ To us, here on this forum, certainly, and in the wider world of ‘model railways’, but to you and the others in the production team? How many of you in ‘television land’ were actually interested in this hobby before someone decided to do a reality TV programme on it? (just wondering).

I fully appreciate that many of the posters on this thread seem to be very enthusiastic for this TV programme. That is indeed your right to feel that way and I hope it brings you much pleasure.

Perhaps those who, like me, feel concerned about the way this could end up portraying our ‘beloved hobby’, together with those who (also like me) are increasingly dismayed at the desire of profit-seeking TV executives to turn innocent past times such as painting, needlework, cookery etc. and now model railways, into stress-inducing competitive activities, are staying away from this thread?

Let’s not kid ourselves here – the TV company is out to make money. This kind of programme, as evidenced by previous shows featuring hobbies/activities like pottery, needlework/clothes making, interior design, painting, Lego, cookery, gardening, music, Kirstie’s Christmas challenges (have I missed any others out) thrives on tension and, consequently, stress. There is almost always that ridiculous wait at the end of each ‘heat’, to some supposedly tension-inducing background music, for the unlucky loser to be declared and then ejected from the competition.

Why do we need to introduce tension and stress into our hobby? Why does everything have to be competitive these days? Who really gets into this hobby to become stressed and experience tension? I know I am not alone in wanting my modelling to take me away from the tension, stress and general competitiveness of many aspects of everyday life.

I strongly feel that programmes like this usually end up demeaning the hobby or activity that is being featured. Not necessarily in every case, but good quality modelling is hardly something that benefits from being done against the clock.

I admire those (relatively few, I would have thought), who can produce high quality models accurately and quickly, ‘right-first time’ if you will. I am surely not the only one who needs to (and likes to) take his time, to ensure that each stage of the modelling process is done correctly and to the required standard? How can having a ticking clock help that? (exhibition deadlines, by the way, is something that I have done in my time and now reject. I would rather not exhibit something, than risk rushing it and ending up with something ‘sub-standard’).

Perhaps the winner of ‘The Big Painting Challenge’ receives well-earned praise for his or her work. But perhaps he/she also thinks that the work could have been so much better without the ticking clock? In which case, as far as I am concerned, I would consider my time and effort to be largely wasted, if it didn’t contribute towards achieving the very best that I might be capable of. In other words, that painting might well have won that competition, but if it was me doing it, I would probably consider it a ‘second best’ effort and, therefore, not representative of what I would otherwise know I am capable of.

Fair play, though, to the RTR manufacturers, if this gives them some additional publicity and perhaps helps a few new people into the hobby. That is possibly the only advantage I can see for ‘the hobby’ itself but my gut feeling is that, on balance, the risk of negative outcomes is higher.

I certainly do not intend to insult any individuals on this forum who are keen on this programme, but I fear for the way the participants could get portrayed, when the filming is finished and everyone has gone home. The editorial process of putting each final programme together is going to be completely outside of your control. Each person is going to have to be very careful indeed about everything you say and do on camera, because that is what the rest of the TV-viewing public is going to see. Trying to be mindful of never putting a foot wrong in that respect just seems to add an additional layer of stress. But if that really doesn’t bother you, then fine.

When I told CTMK that model railways was now also to be the subject of one of these ‘challenge’ shows, she just guffawed with laughter because we’ve talked about the possibility of model railways getting targeted and how I always dismissed the idea as ridiculous. Well, that’s put me in my place, hasn’t it?

But at the end of the day, to those who really are fired up by this and end up taking part, I hope it goes well for you and that you derive enjoyment from the process.

Let's face facts - this hobby is dying. It needs publicity. There is an old saying 'There's no such thing as bad publicity.'

If we want this hobby to survive, let alone grow, we need to 'SELL! SELL! SELL!' it to the general public.

Having spoken to the production team at Ally Pally' they seem genuine.

I look forward to seeing the programmes.

• RMweb Gold

Let's face facts - this hobby is dying. It needs publicity.

I'm afraid that I am going to have to reiterate my earlier comments about the advancement in space travel to this comment.

Where do you find these facts, by the way? Is there a Governmental department devoted to the collation of such statistics?

I'm afraid that I am going to have to reiterate my earlier comments about the advancement in space travel to this comment.

Where do you find these facts, by the way? Is there a Governmental department devoted to the collation of such statistics?

Have you been to a model railway show and noticed the age profile? The Ally Pally shuttle bus was like an OAP outing.

Let's face facts - this hobby is dying. It needs publicity. There is an old saying 'There's no such thing as bad publicity.'

If we want this hobby to survive, let alone grow, we need to 'SELL! SELL! SELL!' it to the general public.

Having spoken to the production team at Ally Pally' they seem genuine.

I look forward to seeing the programmes.

Surely as you are advocating this approach, you should be taking part?

Edited by vaughan45

Surely as you are advocating this approach, you should be taking part?

I agree, you are right.

I approached the organisers with a view to putting in a team from my club. I approached various members of my club but failed to get commitment from any 'key' modellers and so in the end we did not put in a team.

I think that in part we/they were put off by the wish to have ' the country's BEST modellers'. We are an average (maybe slightly above average) club and finding the BEST modellers was a problem. Almost by definition the best modellers in our club are already heavily committed with both private and club projects.

I offered to head the team but I am taking a new layout to Bristol in May and so am already very heavily committed.