Small Radius Y point SL-E197 Code 75 electrofrog point

stargate

Back to the hobby after a 25 year break ( sharp learning curve DCC and soldering etc!) Have successfully improved blade connection reliability on all peco points, but am stumped on the small radius Y. I can see where to solder the 2 rails , but can't see the small ' spot' weld to break? or is it my 70 year old eyes?

Regards Chris

• RMweb Gold

There isn't a pre-cut break on this particular point.  So you either have to make one yourself midway between the frog and the pivoted blade, or use the point as-is without any modification. 

There isn't a pre-cut break on this particular point.  So you either have to make one yourself midway between the frog and the pivoted blade, or use the point as-is without any modification. 

Thanks Robert, I think I will try this, 'carefully'. I have 'improved' the connectivity of all the remaining 30 odd points on my layout. Sods law if I don't, it will be these 2 small Y's which link together that may cause a problem. 

Thanks Robert, I think I will try this, 'carefully'. I have 'improved' the connectivity of all the remaining 30 odd points on my layout. Sods law if I don't, it will be these 2 small Y's which link together that may cause a problem. 

Peco Technical Help  say " Due to the short closure rails it is not possible to cut these rails" 

Any thoughts on this, there seems room to cut see photo red cut line, provided I can also cut frog feed on reverse at red spots . Don't think I will need these when I solder across the rails

post-27866-0-02872500-1518615827_thumb.jpg

post-27866-0-57845700-1518615855_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Did you ever get an answer to this? Just facing the same issue.. prepped three 'straight' points by cutting the jumper wires and adding jumpers across the the point/stock rails.. flipped the small E197 Wye over and spotted that it's quite different! (I've already added the new jumpers too)

• 10 months later...

Hey guys, sorry to "necropost" but I have found a solution to this.

Where I have RED in the below picture is where you need to CUT and where I have GREEN is where you need to JUMPER. This will allow you to have a switchable frog that will work with DC and DCC and where you don't have to rely on the point blades making contact with the rails. I don't know whether this will help anyone this late in the game but I came across this issue too and after finding this post, I thought I would post the solution. Also as mentioned by Butler Henderson you may need to superglue the rail connected to the pivot points so they don't come loose.

SL-E197modified.jpg.a57b14a03880ac2b36d4457b880523af.jpg

Edited by auxie22
Additional Information provided by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've also got one, not yet used and it looks as if Peco made half an attempt to make it like the rest in the range and gave up partr way.

The problem is making the switch blades the same length on all the points (standardisation?)

If these blades were one sleeper less in length there would be room to make the small wye like their other points.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

I've done one as per the diagram above - tip, have some superglue to hand as the short length of rails back to the pivot point can come loose.

In which case glue before you cut.