Bedelands view Workbench

I've been thinking about starting an "on my workbench" thread for a while... and decided on this option rather than a blog, the subtleties of which I’ve yet to fathom. So, here goes.

I’ve become re-enthused by this activity for only a few month now, and whilst my children now have a small layout to master their driving and shunting skills, I’ve yet to build a small layout for myself. Instead, I’ve focussed on detailing and weathering the locos I’d recently acquired. This started with a Bachmann Class 55, the result of which I posted in this forum area a couple of months ago… primarily adding bodyside, bufferbeam and bogie details to a model of 55020 “Nimbusâ€, which I dearly remembered from my childhood (now evidently not quite so misspent), and what I thought of a suitable weathering.

post-8351-12706404032_thumb.jpg

Due to the favourable comments I received in response to my posting, I decided to have another go… and now have two further 55s undergoing similar treatment.

One is based on another Bachmann Nimbus, now renumbered and shortly to be renamed as 55015 Tulyar, in it’s 1978 guise still with full side windows and sandbox filler covers. The other is a detailing only modification of a Bachmann 55008 The Green Howards… Whilst I’d thought about renumbering this one, the squared buffer mounting covers on this one make it unique… so 008 it remains.

Both of these have been treated to the addition of side panels (brake exhauster access panel and data plates), etching of the jacking point covers and etching of the water filler ports on 015 (to the right of the centre side vent). The buffer strokes have been shortened and ETH components scratch built. 008 had the upper ETH connector already fitted (as some of these do), but these were cleaned up and repainted, leaving the base yellow and the connector part only - orange. These were scratch built from plastic rod and plasticard for 015. The lower parts were scratch built in a similar way, with 0.6mm brass wire connecting the two and 0.4mm wire connecting from the upper connector into the nose. I’ll post some more pictures when I find where I’ve put them.

post-8351-127064108371_thumb.jpgpost-8351-127064110366_thumb.jpg

The handbrake levers (Shawplan 37,50,55) have been fitted, as have the nose-mounted ladders. I previously used some spare Hornby class 50 ladders cut to length and modified, but this time I used Heljan class 17 steps (spares from Howes) cut to width and length to represent those of the 55. They’re not exact, but ok at a distance. I now have some “spare†etch ones courtesy of BH that’ll go on the next two 55s. I’ve also fitted two of the four etched bogies steps to 015, one with the additional panel to protect the speedo cable (driver’s side No. 2 end). These etches are such an improvement on the originals… but I only have 4, so will try to improve the plastic ones for 008. Photos to be added later.

Long term: I’ll have to find some sort of diorama type small layout to house these, possibly based on a servicing depot… and now giving serious thought to the new Bachmann 4road shed that was previewed at Ali Pali.

I’ll have two more 55s to modify soon… one of which I plan to subject to sound conversion first.

I’m finding the results of this work rewarding. My two boys are also finding the hobby enjoyable. I just wish I had more time.biggrin.gif

Found some photos. This is the No. 1 ends of 008 and 015 and you can see the difference in how Bachmann deals with the Domino headcode - the Nimbus model having a push out panel and the 21-pin light fitted model doesn't - fitted from front, requiring a little tidying. ETH connectors visible (different techniques to deal with the two types - fitted and detailed, and scratch built), brake levers and nose end steps. Side panels will be blended in with an overall varnish coat prior to weathering. Odd that body colours differ; Bachmann changed plastic colour to one much closer to the railmatch BR Blue for the later models.post-8351-127066503214_thumb.jpg

Etched bogie step with brackets and "kick-plate" added to protect speedo cable.post-8351-127066513501_thumb.jpg

Would love to know what you think.:huh:

Jon

This evening, I managed to finish the steps and fashion the speedo cable etc for Tulyar. Will need to etch prime and paint in to blend it in... but I'm quite happy with the initial result. post-8351-127067603232_thumb.jpg Managed to get the desired look with the cable passing behind the kick plate on the steps.

Any comments or suggestions ?:icon_what: Oh, and I realise that the gap between the top of the bogie and lower part of the brake lever is a bit excessive - but the chassis wasn't screwed down - so a bit of a gap, and the lever is intended to just clear the top of the bogie when it swings to allow use on 2nd radius curves - that's the plan anyway. Looked ok at a distance on the first one! post-8351-127067606005_thumb.jpg

Thanks Big Daddy Ray and D802 Formidable... I strive to obtain a minture representation rather than a plastic looking loco... and on the 55s, it erally does need all the extra gubbins under the bufferbeam to beef up it's appearance... the basic model is a bit chinless... but probably difficult to model RTR, retaining the coupling cability and giving it the necessary depth. Perhaps if the bufferbeam was a bit wider and the additional pipes provided for the later air-braked lcocos then it would be an improvement... but then I'd not have as much fun, would I. The etched parts, such as the bogie steps alos make a big difference - shame I have only one set, but I'm sure they'll be available soon.

Weathering is also still a technique to leanr as I go... I intend to try some faded blue paintwork on this one, Tulyar, so that'll go one before sealing all with varnish and wearthering... also want some battered edges to the windscreen frames as shown in photos of her circa 1978. Need to try out on an old coach first... and get some practice in, as time permits.

Glad you likle my attempts.:blush: J

Very impressive Jon.

Particularly the bogie detailing and bufferbeam clutter - it really makes the difference.

I also like the brake arms - items rarely modelled and they look convincing.

Well, a dry warmish day at home with the kids out visiting friends means that the airbrush can come out. The bodies of Tulyar and The Green Howards are now badged and needed a coat of varnish to seal all the bodywork in. This has now been done. It's a little annoying that the body colours differ - but these will blend in with some weathering later on.post-8351-127125005624_thumb.jpg

Close up of the no. 1 endspost-8351-127125012004_thumb.jpg

Once that was done, I prepared a few weathering colours and set about my son's NSE class 50 "Lion" that wanted toning down from the pristine finish to something akin to how he found in a siding at the North Yorks railway last summer... so with a little artistic license (mandatory) I quickly obtained the following result.post-8351-127125031723_thumb.jpg

I will give it some additional attention with the weathering sticks once the paint is completely dry (hard) especially to break up the uniformity gained by spraying.

Any comments always welcome. Now back to the 55s' chassis!

post-8351-127125033739_thumb.jpg

Dear Pete... if you meant on the 55s... they were masked, with Maskol. :) I've just removed it all. I need to spray these again, but (apparently) shouldn't leave maskol on for more than 3 days - so will reapply when needed for weathering. On the 50... didn't want to bother as I'd intended to weather the lower body and chassis most, and a little on the roof... and considered that the windows wouldn't need it... and they didn't. I know what you mean about masking a wiper pattern... and I might try this with the 55s in the end, although it's a bit fiddly trying to get the twin wiper pattern... tried with first one and "ahem" gave up.:(

Oh... and apologies for duplicate image posting.. finger trouble.

Jon

John, So am I. My plan is for both of these machines to look a little tired. My period in approx 1978... prior to Tulyar's overhaul (loosing the glazed quaterlights) when she appeared quite tatty - I think they extended her servicing interval to 2 million miles (confirm anyone)... so the bodywork was quite patchy. At the same time, although 008 spent much on 1978 in works (I believe), I want it to look "used"... as the gatehead machines were prone to look. May try airbrushing some faded-blue onto Tulyar's bodywork - I tried brushing it on, but it's didn't look very good, so I removed it prior to varnishing. I also attached the bodywork with a glassfibre pen - vertical strokes, to break up the uniform finish. Some of this is still visble uner the coat of varnish, I'm glad to say. Should look ok when caught in the sun.

Hopefully, I'll end up with three reasonable looking 55s... and there's a fouth waiting (another Nimbus) to be tackled (ending up possibly as a c1978 Pinza) once it's been sound chipped... and that's another subject that I need to research on the appropriate thread!

Thanks for the commentswink.gif

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Thought that I ought to update this thread with where the 55s have got to… time has allowed some progress, although little is visible.

Another 55 has found its way here – another early Bachmann offering, this time of plated headcode, white cabbed, Crepello. A little anachronistic perhaps, but the two look nice together… although 012 will go back to her owner once finished.

I’ve knocked up some airbrake pipes, ten of them, for the two locos that will be detailed at both ends, and the one (Creppelo) that’s to retain its standard coupling at the No. 2 end. post-8351-127252274927_thumb.jpgpost-8351-127252276254_thumb.jpg

Fabricated from garden wire, leaving plastic sleeve in place for the valve and connector body; 0.4mm brass wire attached for the lever – still to be trimmed, now fitted to two of them.post-8351-12725227722_thumb.jpg

012 has had her ETH connectors cleaned up and given a couple of coats of yellow, before the connector itself is picked out in orange – such an improvement over the original overall orange for the whole thing, including the bracket…. You can see the results in an earlier picture of 008 that had the same treatment… adding the connection into the nose end makes a difference – although this needs care to get right. Interesting that Bachmann didn’t standardise on their colours – the yellow on 012 is much orangier shade than on my 015 (originally a Nimbus). Further work will go into adding the lower ETH sockets and pipework, and nose-end ladders.

post-8351-127252278622_thumb.jpg

Chassis now fitted with cosmetic screwlink couplings awaiting pipework fabrication to be finished.post-8351-127252279465_thumb.jpg

Will update with more photos as job progresses.

Took some advice from Jon Gavin today and installed a drawbar - type coupling to the No. 2 end of my "Nimbus" to enable some coaching stock to be hauled... See Jon's thread for his advice (page 12). All in all, quite straightforward and result is quite inobtrusive.

First picture of chassis - bar fitted to buffer beam between pipes. Sorry - didn't notice that camera had focussed on worm gear - but I think it' sufficiently clear.post-8351-127256873152.jpg

Next two of the end result. First prior to body fixing...post-8351-127256876906_thumb.jpg

and after body has been screwed back down - placed by window for some of the day's last light.post-8351-127256883133_thumb.jpg

Now time to get back to Crepello, Tulyar and The Green Howards!

Jon

Hello Jon,

You've done a cracking job there matey well done;) So wat do you think then i think it looks superb and like you say you can hardly see it!

Sorry i forgot to mention that it would need bending down or leveling at the rite height for the coach coupling to sit on but you've already done this:)

Really liking your work on here its good to see another keen modeller and using blu tac to do the pipes etc... my trick lol.

Anyway keep up the good work matey i'm watching with interest as usual.

Kind Regards, Jon.

Thanks Jon.... yes I'm quite pleased! - that's why I had to throw first attempt away - it was too high once bent at at reasonable angle:blink:. Second one was a lot longer and then slowly pared back to fit... aligned bottom edge with centre of NEM socket for approx height, which seems fine when paired on track with stock.

Thanks again.

Have just fitted Extreme etch headcode surrounds to Tulyar - fitted with glue and glaze, which comes off nicely on clean up. Should've done these earlier... but first one now looks ok and now waiting for glue to dry on other to finish clean up. - Makes quite a difference. Will post photo tomorrow - daylight needed.

Don't work tooooo late:)

Hi Jon,

Well a nice result anyway buddy ;) i've bin using extreme etches on some of my stock too i've fitted a fan/grill to my 20 a couple of the same to tractors and now tackling a grid re-doing all the grills but its bin put to 1 side as i thought they'd go on fairly well but theres a lot of surgery needed unfortunately and there very delicate (already bent the side grills out of shape) :blink: well next up for me is a 31 with etches going in to railfreight grey livery should be fun ilike me goyles, do you have the pics of the etches on the 55 would like to see the finished result matey :)

Cheers, Jon.

Jon,

Youngest was ill so didn't get the time expected and today's been busy extending boys layout - more track and sidings down on their 8x4... and emptying 360 ltrs of compost onto allotment that we've just acquired... so, failed to get those photos. Will try again tomorrow... but they'll be here - promise.

Yes, I like the groyles too - many happy memories from the 70s and thereafter. Haven't hd much luck with Hornby ones - have sent two back - Blue unweathered ... will awaut new releases later this year. I've got enough to be getting on with anyway:rolleyes:.

Jon

In response to Jon G's request - a couple of pics of a 55 front end with the extreme etch headcode surrounds. I think this makes a vast improvement in the feel of the front end. It's the one second from right, next to Nimbus (original conversion) on the far right. Far left is Crepello in early stages of detailing and second right Green Howards: this one has the illuminated headcode and a differently fitted panel to the others, put I'll fit the headcode surrounds to this one too - bought two packets from Mr Hanson at Ali Pali.

post-8351-12727901898_thumb.jpg

In close up, the differences are more noticeable. The surround isn't painted, just attached using glue and glaze, cleaned up and then tidied witha little matt varnish to seal the edges and dull down the finish on the outer part.

post-8351-127279033751_thumb.jpg

And in close up - apologies for the quality.

post-8351-127279037577_thumb.jpg

Like it ;) wat a difference bud a well worth modification that is and you've done a nice clean job again you should be proud of your deltics matey quite a nice little fleet you have there :) are you going to model the hole fleet eventually wouldn't take long to get all 22 done!

So you've had the Hornby curse too theres a topic on this but too many have already added to it so i thought no point in adding my broken goyle too lol, hope they get there acts in gear this year! :angry:

Cheers, Jon G.

Jon,

I think that 22 Deltics would be more that I could handle. Mind you, if you went to that number, why not carry on and add some ficticous ones. I have to admit that a super detailed "Super Deltic" using a class 50 body as a donor with the grills and roof of a 55 might be something worth pondering on for a future project what-if. What a machine they'd have been.

Think that I'll get another one - a plated headcode one. I'm beginning to like the one I'm working at the moment, and whilst the white cab won't suit my fleet's period (and my brother will want it back), the front end is nice... and there's always Meld and St Paddy, or Crepello, to consider as subject racehorses.;)

Have a good weekend Jon...

Jon

A brief update. Chassis and bufferbeams have now had all construction work completed and that of 012's has had a coat of red prior to painting in the pipework. It'll get another coat although this will mostly be covered in grime, but I intend to leave it showing a little where it would have been cleaned/rubbed off - as it did look in late 1980 - early 1981. The other two will be painted this week. I completed 012 first, employing the same techniques used previously on Nimbus, except this one had Mr Hanson's Class 55 etch mose-end steps added - very good they are too!

I've experimented a bit more on 015 and 008 by altering the shape of the brake exhauster exhaust pipes and adding airbrake pipe handle to the main supply valve... not that much of this will be evident once finished!

post-8351-12734323837_thumb.jpg

A brief shot also of the body dropped back in place.. also needing paintwork on etch and brass pipework... a job for evenings this week. Note that the focus of this conversion was the front end... although the speedo cables have been added to the no. 2 end chassis

post-8351-1273432438_thumb.jpg

More to follow as the painting and weathering becons.

An update resulting from the last couple of evening's work. A Crepello awaiting grill shading, cab painting and weathering, and...

post-8351-127360222379_thumb.jpg

as half of a brace of deltics, joined by Tulyar in the same state... although Tulyar's buffer beam isn't going to remain this red for much longer.

post-8351-127360224133_thumb.jpg

As always... comments welcomedunsure.gif

Hi Jon.

Well i'm impressed as usual luv wat your doing with the deltics bud, the extra details you've made and added really compliment the 55's well all that pipe work and etched extras sets them of to a T ;) Quite liking the white windowed machine think they suited this style and adds a bit of colour to the all over br blue, another fav of my 55 liverys is the green style and this was my fav model as a kid so maybe a green 55 for my layout working specials but i think i've mentioned this b4 :rolleyes:

Anyway keep the pickys coming fela :)

Kind Regards, Tractor Jon.

Archived