Bedelands view Workbench

Having spent quite a few minutes talking to the chaps at the Wells Green TMD stand at the Burgess Hill Model Railway show yesterday - and then chatting to Pete M - of Kyle in a box file layout (what a great layout that is too - can't wait to see it finished Pete...) I realised that I ought to get back to it. So, today I managed to grab a couple of hours this afternoon and got the airbrush out ... and applied a little faded BR blue to Tulyar. I'm depicting here as she was prior to her late 1978 (I'll have to check that) repaint by FP prior to her full overhaul at Doncaster in 1979... when she lost her forward cab quarterlight windows and, eventually by a FP mod, gained her plated headcode panel. So, here, she was worn and faded, with plenty of chips in her paintword... and quite a weathering challenge compared to my first one.

I applied some faded blue (railmatch enable) by brush, with a bit of white too, to areas under windows and sandbox covers, and name plates, depicting the washing fluid staining. There's some faded yellow on the front ends too - patchy, but as close to photos as I could get.

I then had a go with the airbrush and an acetate sheet mask (slot cut in it - better than slot cut in card or plasticard, 'cause you can see what you're masking) applying faded blue areas as shown in contemporary photos. A general overspray to the overall body brought the bodycolour to a much closer match for that of my other 55 - Green Howards, which was a later Bachmann product. Hopefully they'll look better togther now once finished. All necessary areas masked out beforehand with maskol... but there will be some touching up to do. So, here she is... now with maskol removed, and dropped back on to her chassis for a couple of photos. Maybe I'll try to get some proper weathering in on the chassis and underframe next week - I alway enjoy that bit.

No. 1 end

post-8351-12740322745_thumb.jpg

No. 2 end

post-8351-127403233144_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, with some muck along the bottom edge and some general bodyside detrius (and splattered front end, she'll finially look ok.

Pleased, as always, to receive comments.

Jon

Hi Jon,

She looks good fela, nicely done there ;) i've had a few attempts at fading br blue and railfreight red stripe too but not to happy with my results and sold them on i'll try again with a backy br blue 37 when 049's released.

Cheers, Jon.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jon.

Well i'm impressed as usual luv wat your doing with the deltics bud, the extra details you've made and added really compliment the 55's well all that pipe work and etched extras sets them of to a T ;) Quite liking the white windowed machine think they suited this style and adds a bit of colour to the all over br blue, another fav of my 55 liverys is the green style and this was my fav model as a kid so maybe a green 55 for my layout working specials but i think i've mentioned this b4 :rolleyes:

Anyway keep the pickys coming fela :)

Kind Regards, Tractor Jon.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jon,

Great work on the Magic Machines! I'd be pleased to hear how you get the 'soft' look to the dirt on the bottom of the body (clearly not with masking tape).

John.

Hi Crepello... and yes there's a 55012 on the way. to be honest, on my Nimbus, I just did it by hand using the airbrush, effectively spraying below the body (body and chassis seperated) allowing some drift onto the lower edges. That was then... this is now: this time I intend to aid thsi with a form of loose mask... the plan - I'll use some thin card - an A4 sheet, to make an open box shape - a long rectangular open box, a bit longer and a bit wider than the 55 bodyshell... and about 3mm less deep that the 55 is high; place this over the model, leaving the bottom edges protruding by about 3mm - but making sure that the box edges are away from the body sides to prevent too harsh a line - then spray with sereral passes, using sleeper grime, frame dirt, possibly some light rust and roof dirt, at different positions and intensities... then remove box and soften the effect with a light misting. Well.., that's my plan, we'll see how it turns out shall we:huh:

• RMweb Gold

...and then chatting to Pete M - of Kyle in a box file layout (what a great layout that is too - can't wait to see it finished Pete...)

Jon - Hi, and many thanks for your kind comments.

I have been reading through this thread from the start and am really enjoying it. The detailing work on the locos (all that homemade pipework) is excellent and the weathering is spot on - not too much but enough to enhance them without overdoing. What a fleet of deltics you are going to have!

I shall be tuning in regularly to see the updates and making notes as I now need to do the same on my 2FS rolling stock.

Keep the pictures coming - its very inspirational.

Pete

The deltics received their first weathering this weekend. The chassis and bodies were treated with an airbrush seperately, starting with gheneral passes with frame dirt, then a slightly less even coat of sleeper grime and then mild light applications of brake dust around the brakes and axles. The bodies were treated similarly, but using a card "box" mask that sits down over the body to allow spray to pick up on the lower edges only - as was typically the dirty bit on the deltics bodywork. Light mistings of frame dirt and sleeper grime were also applied to the front ends of Tuylar and The Green Howards (not pictured). Crepello is still clean, but this will be blended appropriately.

The end result is two quite one dimensional... but this was the first step.

The bogies will receive more attention, with some dry brushed rust and grease staining. the fuel tanks need staining and the bodysides needs some runs down... and then there's the roof. That'll be another day. For now, just three pictures of a brace of racehorses.

post-8351-127464076701_thumb.jpg

post-8351-127464079366_thumb.jpg

post-8351-127464083631_thumb.jpg

As ever, any suggestions welcomed.

Thank you ... Jon

• RMweb Gold

Lookin very nice Jon

Any thoughts of a layout to run these on or are you concentrating on rolling stock at the moment?

Although some people say MPD's are the new BLT's, it might be something small and containable that you could run and display your stock on. I am thinking of a stabling point just outside Kings X ;)

If you are not already aware of it, check out marc smiths excellent Hendre Lane on the forum...which is very inspirational.

Best, Pete

Lookin very nice Jon

Any thoughts of a layout to run these on or are you concentrating on rolling stock at the moment?

Although some people say MPD's are the new BLT's, it might be something small and containable that you could run and display your stock on. I am thinking of a stabling point just outside Kings X ;)

If you are not already aware of it, check out marc smiths excellent Hendre Lane on the forum...which is very inspirational.

Best, Pete

Thanks Pete,

MPDs – ok. BLTs, no, you lost me there.

Yes, a Kings Cross stabling point type MPD is my eventual plan... probably more diorama than layout; but that’s is the plan(ish). Hendre Lane... oh yes, I know that one... It’s one of the things that persuaded me to start in OO again.

I managed some more work on the 55s today (day off) and managed to grab a few photos before going to collect boys from school. I’ll post these later once I’ve downloaded the camera and converted the raw files. I’ll explain what I did in my post. Didn’t post for a few days – trying to avoid repetitive images, but I think there’s something now to show. I found myself humming an ACDC tune this afternoon “Dirty Deedsâ€... but changed to “Dirty Deltics... don’t come cheapâ€:lol:

I hope that there are others silently watching this thread, only I get very little feedback. Perhaps there just aren’t many class 55 fans out there (shame!). I’ll keep going for now though but will stop if I don’t think it’s of interest to the membership as a whole... I don’t want this thread to turn into something that only a few use... I could PM for that. If you are out there watching, chip in and share your criticisms... otherwise what will I learn.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Hey Jon,

BLT's - Branch Line Terminus...or Bacon Lettuce and Tomato if you prefer ;)

Sounds good the plans - Please do keep the thread going as there are a lot of people who like to read but not add comments.

I know what you mean...but I think that is why the Blog format is good...you get to see at least who has been popping into your thread and when and then you can set up an index system for all your posts, as I have with Kyle and Coombe.

I too was a little weary of the blogs when I swapped from RMWeb 3 - RMWeb 4, but I honestly can say I prefer it as I can put all my ramblings in one place and then sort into chapters :D

Keep it up...I for one am enjoying what you are doing and I suppose as long as you don't detail and weather all 22 of the fleet then people will stay tuned!

Best, Pete

Pete, thanks for the encouragement and explanation. Now for a brief update. I've managed to weather the roof and sides of all three 55s in work. The sides were cleaned off a bit and then were subject to reaplication of a mix of sleeper grime and brake dust, giving a nice light shade, along the lower edges, which was then wiped back with a white spirit soaked cotton bud, and a dry one to wipe off the excess moist paint. For Tulyar, I kept this to the lower edges... as I did for Crepello, but as The Green Howards was a Gateshead engine, I went much higher with the mix and lifted less of it off... leaving a dirtier appearance.

Once this was dried... last night... I applied some tamiya weathering powder (Snow) to represent washer fluid stains running down the bodysides... which I think worked well. At all stages refering to photograps of the real locos. Finally, today, I applied some roof dirt to the ... roofs. Thsi was applied generally to the central areas around the fans, and around the exhausts and sparingly over the cabs and bonnet tops. On T and C, the cabs were wiped back, as they were often cleaned (where could be reached) in service. TGH was left filthy.

I still need to work in some more colours on the bogies of TGH and C and apply some stains and runs to the fuel tanks. The buffers also need greasing. I also had to do some fettling to the fittings on TGH chassis tonight, finging that the bogies fouled some of the pipework on a 2nd radius curve - all now sorted. Not noticed before as this one has the 21 pin chassis and only sits down properly when screwed down. The others were fine.

Anyway... a few brief pictures.

The three locos lined up.

post-8351-127508175056_thumb.jpg

Tulyar and The Green Howards No. 1 ends

post-8351-127508195277_thumb.jpg

Crepello in Profile

post-8351-127508202056_thumb.jpg

Tulyar in profile

post-8351-127508208446_thumb.jpg

The Green Howards in Profile

post-8351-127508212803_thumb.jpg

Four 55s... as they're joined by my first attempt Nimbus

post-8351-127508221405_thumb.jpg

It's a good job Crepello is in there because the rest are all a bit dirty! My last one will be another conversion of the Bachmann Nimbus into Pinza. In 1978 Pinza seemed to stay quite clean according to some photos I've seen of her in 1978 ish... so it'll be my plan to detail and only lightly weather her... should make a nice comparison with this lot!

Comments are welcomed... Please

Thanks... Jon

Hi Jon020. This is my first post on this site but wanted to say how much i've enjoyed reading and viewing the processes you have used. Not being very accurate myself when it comes to details like yours, i'm sure many will use your postings as inspiration to have a go. I have a 'fleet' of locos (which includes Crepello, my favourite Deltic, which i remember seeing between the Welwyn tunnels with my Dad and brother many years ago, not quite sure why i remember it so, maybe the white window surrounds???):blink:, which i may have a go at weathering myself, although i don't expect your standards. I'm sure all your 55's will look great on any layout, and look forward to seeing more pictures as and when that occurs.

Keep it up, ever thought of doing other locos, such as 47's or 31's, theyd look good stabelled next to those Deltics.

Cheers

Tim;)

Dear All,

Firstly, I just want to make a little correction on behalf of the last post by TSH012... as this is my brother Tim and the owner of the model 55012 Crepello as she appears in this thread. His post wasn't intended to be that coy, but I thought it was quite amusing. Thanks Tim. Now that they're all done, I hope that you'll enjoy seeing your Crepello (here) back on your layout.... And it's about time that you start posting something about your layout, 'cause I think it's neat.

I do remember watching the trains from the field and embankment between "The Tunnels"... happy sunny summer memories! However, for me my Deltics memories are when the thrumming of the twin Napiers could be heard and felt up close at t'Cross and thr'u' Finsbury Park. Yes, happy days... maybe there'll be a little repeat this Saturday (12th) with RSG's visit.:rolleyes:

Anyway, back to more relevant matters. The locos are now finished; unless I spot something I've missed. Since the last shots, the weathering has been added to with a little more weathering powders to the bodysides and chassis, and the bogies have been tackled with some detail painting, to pick out additional dirt marks and grease on the axles. Fuel spills have been picked out in the same way, by applying runs of thin black paint several times, building up to a slightly thicker layer in the middle.. but there's no right or wrong to this process, each one is a case of trial and error on my part. The buffers have been treated with a mix of silver and black: separately and mixed; then the top of a mechanical pencil that I have - it has a rounded-flat top, is pushed into this thick mix to simulate buffer push. Again, each one is trial and error and some look better than others, but then I think that's the case on the real thing too. To be honest, in my view.., they'll do.

Just a few photos now follow... I don't want this thread to end up too much like a picture gallery - but I'll look into creating a gallery separately. Actually there are several here - but they're all a bit different (mostly) so it shouldn't be too repetitive.

First up - two shots of Crepello:

post-8351-127585635341_thumb.jpg

In this one, you can see that I've tried to represent the cab roof being cleaned as far as could be reached

post-8351-127585639863_thumb.jpg

Now two of Tulyar, looking slightly tired:

post-8351-12758565141_thumb.jpg

post-8351-127585655734_thumb.jpg

And one of The Green Howards - I've tried to show it as traffic begrimed and showing little attention by the cleaners:

post-8351-12758566359_thumb.jpg

Now, just two Racehorses: Tulyar joined by Nimbus (my first attempt some months back)

post-8351-12758567028_thumb.jpg

And an overhead shot of the four 55s... differing levels of weathering should be evident.

post-8351-127585677635_thumb.jpg

And, a shot that I personally like:

post-8351-12758568128_thumb.jpg

Finally, a shot to comapre the before and after. A fresh out of the box Nimbus, stands head-to-head with Tulyar that started just like the loco on the left, as a clean Nimbus. I'm pleased with the result; I hope that you have enjoyed following this thread.

post-8351-127585693427_thumb.jpg

So, that's it. Now that these are finished, I really must start thinking about a small TMD on to which these will be placed ... and the 47 and 37 awaiting treatment. I'll be seeking ideas and help on that subject soon.

Thank you for following my thread on detailing and weathering these little beauties. I've enjoyed the project.. and I do still have one more to do, but for now I'll bring this chapter to a close.

Thanks for following.... Jon

• RMweb Gold

Jon, Hi - I agree with James - A nice fleet of locos and an enjoyable and informative thread to have read - why not consider a blog for your new layout as you can then index/cross reference your rolling stock as part of it? Pete

Hi James, thanks for the brief message. Very much appreciated. Pete, yes, I'll give some thoughts to starting a blog for the TMD... must start looking into Peco code 75 and structures.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, well bowing to pressure from my brother i think i'll have a go at starting a thread myself regarding my small TMD named 'Brick Yard' for reasons which are evident i think. I started work on this about a year ago and progress has been slow to say the least, however with Jon020's brilliant work, Crepello is beginning to look at home. I planned this layout, measuring just over 6 foot by 1 a couple of years back having seen Pete Harveys great layout Dudley Road in Hornby magazine, and thought to my self, i like that, i'll have a go myself. It's been many many years since i've enjoyed 'working' with model railways and this, while still a long way to go, is the result.

I'm sure many may notice flaws in my design or some odd additions to the layout, (decorative point motors for one thing) may be not the correct era for BR blue, so i welcome any comments made.

Please note, this is work in progress so further updates will follow, but thought it might be good to see my brothers work on my layout.

Brief thanks go to Pete Harvey for the inspiration, but especially my Brother...keep it up Jon!

post-8379-127715144507_thumb.jpg

post-8379-127715150171_thumb.jpg

post-8379-127715154098_thumb.jpg

post-8379-127715171033_thumb.jpg

Tim, Thanks for posting these photos. I agree that the loco looks good in its new surroundings... as do the others. Oddly enough, I've been perusing depot plans myself tonight, and my idea isn't far removed from yours, but I'm going to try to limit mine to 5' length for storage and portability... meaning a couple of headshunts... and it's the other way around to yours (Shed at right-hand end... fueling at left hand end with entry point in front rather than behind. Its a first draft, with planned storage for 55s, 47, 37 and some 31s once acquired... and a gronk to shunt those fuel wagons. I'm glad you like your 55!

Now, please start a thread, or a blog, for your depot. I'm going to have a go embracing this blog thingy as soon as I've come up with a name for my depotB)

• RMweb Gold

Tim - Interesting looking TMD - looks like lots of operating potential shuffling locos around - am sure if you complete the ballast to the remaining areas it will take it to another level of detail.

Jon - Glad to hear you have been sketching - don't worry about waiting for a name for your layout - many a blog/thread has been started on here as 'as yet un-named layout' etc etc My sons 4mm on here is also un-named!

The most important thing...is to get the blogs up + running ;)

Pete

Thanks Pete, and Jon. The ballasting will be completed and weatrered when time allows...its a slow job isn't it!.

Thinking of extending a concrete apron outside the shed, for 2 reasons...to make more interesting areas for other details to go on, such as trolleys with tools etc, maybe a little van somewhere, but also to reduce the area required to ballast...is this cheating?

Any suggestions for what to use as concrete would be appreciated.

I think i'll end this one now and start a new thread in the layouts section, may try to get some better pictures too.

Like to see a scetch of your plan Jon, is 5 feet going to be large enough though? Will you be scratch building or using off the shelf products.:blink:

Thanks

Tim

Pete and Tim,

I'll post something on a blog soon. Promise ! I have some basic sketches, but still tweaking ideas and once finished a bsic plan that I'm comfortable with for more than a few hours without chainging my mind I'll post a scan of it.

5 ft is not really long enough... nothing ever is... but I can get quite a bit in, althjough there will be some head shunts needed. At 5' it should also be portable and storable / displayable easily at home.

Plan for the 4-road shed is out! There will only be room for a 2 road shed... plus refuel/defuel points and a possible washer... and buildings. It will fit in - using Peco 75 track and lareg radius points to keep it as prototypical as possible... with a couple of double slips thrown in. Time to pick that pencil up again.

Probably a mix of bought bits and scratch built... There's plenty on offer from Messers Bachmann at the moment, but first need to find a sensible looking modern diesel depot servicing shed.

Tim... nowt wrong with a hardstadning in front of the sheds - plan the same myself.

• 4 years later...

This thread has been inactive for a long time; my follow-on projects all went into Blogs, so here's a final word on the subjects that I covered in here.

My model of 55020 was sold a few months ago and today I performed a quick check of... my last two oo gauge Deltics, Tulyar and The Green Howards, and they've now been carefully packaged and they're off to their new owner in Worcestershire.
They were fun to work on and still gave me pleasure admiring them and enjoying the feedback from others that seemed to admire them when they were statically exhibited. I've never managed to find the time or room to make a proper layout for them, but I expect that when I do find the time and room (or maybe that's if I find .... ) then I will be making the permanent way in P4 rather than oo... just because I love the look of the track and exquisite clearances... it just seems so right to go finescale, but I have a significant skill gradient to climb before I get there, and for now there are other matters to attend to as part of life.

So here's one last look... at my two little projects that gave so much pleasure. I hope they continue to do so.

post-8351-0-98463100-1404681136.jpg

Byeeee

Jonathan

Archived