Eyemouth O gauge 1906ish or 1923ish

sir douglas

Sam's co-conspirator here.

I think the run round loop was removed sometime shortly after the grouping. Berwick NBR shed was closed, and the operation of the branch was transferred to the NER shed at Tweedmouth. They tended to use J21s on the branch, and later J39's. Its probably these larger tender locos that caused the re think. However we will indulge in a little modelers licence, and make the crossover able to take tender locos.

• RMweb Premium

Good choice of layout project, I must admit to having considered it myself more than once. Best to model it with the runround loop if you're planning to exhibit it!

It's worth visiting the actual site at Eyemouth, if you get a chance, the station building is long buried under a car park but you can walk the station site alongside the Harbour to the end of the sidings as well as seeing the viaduct. There is a small museum with an N gauge model and a little book on the railway, which they were quite proud of. Good to get a flavour of the place and the fish'n'chips are even better than Wakefield.

Hope you like building fish vans.....

Dava

Thanks for the posts.

I do have the Ian Futers book - has a 4mm plan for the station with the crossover removed.

I do like fish vans! However, the period we are looking at fish was still moved in sheeted open wagons - certainly from small stations such as this.

However, if time permits it might also be possible to build some later (or even earlier) stock to run - the actual infrastructure hardly changed.

Like the sound of the fish and chips!!

• Like 1

Very interesting, I always enjoy a walk round Eyemouth when I'm up at the rents! I wonder where about Giacopazzi's Ice Cream Parlor was in 1923,  didn't realise they had been there that long!

http://www.giacopazzis.co.uk/trade/

In 1898 Lorenzo Giacopazzi left his home in Borgo Val Di Taro (Northern Italy) to seek his fortune in America.

However, like many of his fellow travellers, he landed in Scotland and decided to make his home there instead of continuing his journey. Settling in Eyemouth, a small fishing village in the Scottish Borders, he set up in business doing what he knew best – making ice cream. So, for generations now, people have enjoyed Giacopazzi’s ice cream which is still produced in Eyemouth today with the same love and passion as Lorenzo brought to his craft.

Following with interest!

Edited by D6775

• RMweb Premium

The only colour photo I've seen of Eyemouth, taken by JG Wallace in 1956 of J39 64813, on the back dust cover of 'Branchlines & Byways: SW Scotland & the Border Counties' [Robotham]. Further degraded by my iPad.

post-14654-0-19340200-1518812290_thumb.jpeg

The buildings on the other side of the harbour are still there, as is the loading dock at the extreme end of the riverside sidings. A cheerful scene.

Dava

• Like 9

• 4 months later...

there hasnt been nothing in these last 4 months, ive been fiddling with the templot every now and then and finding more photos and 2 weeks ago found a book online which Mark bought, space in the clubroom has been booked for us and is coming up soon, Mark is soon going to order the trestles and once ive finished planning all the frame stretcher profiles and worked out how many sheets of ply we need, they will be ordered

the book "eight minute link", its un avaliable now because we got the last one. with much info and photos i couldnt get online

https://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Eyemouth-Railway-Company-1891-1962/dp/B00QYEZUTW

some photos of the bridge came up, this will be the scenic break into the fiddleyard, it was replaced in 1976 with the current one but thats irrelevant to the layout

post-9948-0-18093900-1530304456_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-62264500-1530304464_thumb.jpg

working out embankment profiles form the J83 on the colour postcard

post-9948-0-02358600-1530304494_thumb.jpg

revised track plan, the numbers are feet zero being the end of the fiddleyard so the "on scene" starts at 8ft, the letter refer to each frame stretcher to be drawn out individually as each one is unique apart form the pairs on board joins

post-9948-0-35028200-1530304526_thumb.png

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Eyemouth is a great prototype - simple trackplan but full of character. Perfect for 7mm scale. Use of NER locos is obviously a positive too! ;) It's a lovely and interesting place too, well worth a visit for those who have never been - easy stop off between Berwick and Edinburgh.

I think this is going to be high on my list of 'ones to follow'.

Cheers and thanks for sharing,

David

Not sure if this helps much given the era or indeed you are aware of this footage anyway, but I'm sure i might be of some interest.

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/7953?search_term=Eyemouth&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes

Theres a couple of railway sequences within that, out of era I imagine but asI say I'm sure of some interest.

• Like 1

My grandfather used to own a fishing boat and my grandmother was a fishwive as they call it, the boat was registered in Leith but sailed out of Fisherrow up the coast at Musselburgh but his boat often landed his catch in Eyemouth. I was taken to Eyemouth as a youngster and remember the chips very well. Other than that my mother says she was there all the time and has fond memories of Eyemouth.

If you are interesting in any of the fishing aspect of Eyemouth please feel free to drop me a line. I'm sure I could help.

• Like 1

very interesting footage, the shot of men walking over the bridge shows a hut on the corner of the yard and the 1955 snow shows very clearly where the groundframe was which before seeing this i guessed based on a cabin/hut in that same position in photos, by this time the hut has gone so you can see the levers

well, the trip to the timber merchant has been postponed to friday as Shez will be receiving delivery of the legs anytime now

Edited by sir douglas

• 2 weeks later...

We've just had a weeks holiday and Berwick and visited Eyemouth a few times (mostly for chips). I hadn't realised a railway had been there, despite having walked round it a few times. Will follow this with interest.

the state of things when i got to the club this morning, the ply, timber and legs together, the workbench is 1 of a set of baseboards donated to the club, a layout was planned to go on them but that was  abandoned, they are quite strong and heavy which is better as a work table. we have a space down the middle of the room with OO stanley on one side and a US O gauge on the other

eyemouth_(4).JPG.fbdeef6ae0601d8ab5c0fac002ec278d.JPG

and at about mid day after cutting down 2 sheets into most of the parts needed which are piled up under the table

eyemouth_(5).JPG.efc02700c95f05a94bc580b5ed7d0839.JPG

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

all the parts cut for the 5 boards, with a sheet of ply left for the fiddleyard, before finishing i double checked the parts against the cutting list and its a good thing i did as 2 parts werent cut but were ticked off so they were dully cut

eyemouth_(6).JPG.69c09a1895d057bb66ffbab10079651f.JPG

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 7

Well done Sam - good start.

We are back from the caravan - but in Whitby next week - will be back after the bank holiday so we can get stuck in. 

Good to hear you got the clips and dowels.