Eyemouth O gauge 1906ish or 1923ish

sir douglas

• 4 weeks later...

the second board has also got cork on it and i'm in the process of putting in the trackbed support underneath, the first piece of which has the footing for the ground frame cabin.  sets of brass pattern maker dowels have been fitted to both ends of the second board, but only one end of the first, the end that goes to the fiddleyard is being left blank until its time to do those board. a start was made last night on the third board but my mechanical pencil ran out so i couldnt do anything about that except cut glue on timber. i was going to start laying the templot printout onto the cork but we have only the other week realised a scaling error in it as its too big. Apart from that i have a smaller A3 sized printout of the layout with inch grid on it which i have been working from to give a close enough working out for track centre line. it was agreed to cut up the print out to cut-and-shut it to fit with careful referencing to the A3 to position the points correctly

the photo below shows the middle trackbed support being glued in with the red clamps, below the clamps you might be able to see the cabin footing. in front of the board on the floor is the first piece of the third board with timber glued on in the black clamps

002.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Last Friday morning i continued on the first stretcher of the third board that i showed clamped up, after putting most of the timber on i realised that they were on the wrong side so time and energy was wasted on fixing that. beforte putting all the timber on, which didnt leave anytime to start on the second stretcher which was all done last night and the brass dowels were fitted to the first stretcher as well.

by Mid-day friday, first strecther was done and the dowel blocks were left to set over the weekend

896396180_eyemouth(15).JPG.9d3b1c7795a3023bfb98399b6a883090.JPG

Last night, second stretcher and brass dowels on the first. The trackbed level ont he second is extra wide to accomodate the water tower

223287552_eyemouth(16).JPG.f7ed1038a50d18eb5188c580680e76cc.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

went down early last night and got the third and fourth stretchers done and again the dowels are clamped up to leave over the weekend.  one of the next things is that the platform starts on this board, the profile of it is in the stretcher but the height was cut out with some excess to cut down as required but i dont know yet what thickness of ply i'm going to use for the top so i cant cut it down and put on the joining blocks.  i do know how high the platform should be based photos such scaling from a j39, the platform looks a little lower than the buffers (3'4 1/2") so i guess around 3'3" from rail

https://goo.gl/images/YrCocq

no photo this time

By chance ended up in Eyemouth last week and was able to briefly photograph the station site. We were visiting some friends who live in Northumberland and it turned out that not only were they moving to Eyemouth, but they had bought land to build a house on the site of what was the Biglawburn siding!  I was surprised just how much was left. Only a brief stop - need to return with a tape measure. 

WP_20190221_10_11_21_Pro.jpg.36b39709f949b630133c20dd770a1e7c.jpg

Looking from the south side of the Eyewater, the site of the siding buffer stops can be seen on the left.  The wall and path on the right coming down form the road to the goods yard is pretty much intact.

WP_20190221_10_24_05_Pro.jpg.5df759f082c3b58036961cc455bea6d7.jpg

This appears to be the base of the water tower.

WP_20190221_10_33_02_Pro.jpg.f9dde2d98636324717fcc8298fcf2e62.jpg

The road behind the station is little changed, though as can be seen from the first picture it is obscured by trees.  To the right can be seen a car park. This is on the site of the station building - the land here has been built up as an embankment. Until I realised this I couldn't work out how the station building had fitted on the narrow path that remains. 

The bridge also remains but I didn't get a good picture.  A return visit with a tape measure will be required at some point!

• Like 5

very good news, when looking at the maps and street view, the station level has been filled up to the road for the car park. the platform is now under the car park.

if you get en excuse to go see these friends again, i could tag along. you spend time with them and i'll be down in the woods exploring the remains with a ruler rod and camera

On 03/03/2019 at 17:18, Shez said:

WP_20190221_10_33_02_Pro.jpg.f9dde2d98636324717fcc8298fcf2e62.jpg

compare with below, the road has actually changed quite  bit, not only has the station filled filled in for the car park but the road is also wider. I think the old wall comes out about to left hand edge of the grass above

329195649_photoroad.jpg.8a1b3c8e2cab2938c82b5228e8ebbd8d.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It is said [in the museum or their little book] that the station building wasn't demolished but the site simply infilled with it in place. I don't know if this is true, if so it's technically still there.  The buffer stop area at the Harbour end of the site was quite recognizable a few years ago. 

Dava

i'll never know what exactly is still there without going there and having a look through the undergrowth

back to the layout, trackbed board marked and cut out but it cant be fitted until after the angle bracings are in. the approximate size and positon of the water tower marked on and cut with a border of excess around it for the retaing wall to sit on. 

eyemouth_(18).JPG.f457158587cc6d6e29c0cf407a06c859.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

the plans changed, while i was fettling the track bed to fit its final position, some warp and skew in the board was very apparent o ive used the track bed to straighten it up, the face of the board was clamped to the workbench to straighten it and the track bed screwed down. Last night the screws were loosened 1 half of the board at a time to put pva in. the other day i was putting in the angle bracing but only fixed them in at 1 end each after noticing the skew. After the track bed was in last night the other ends of the bracing were fixed in. and i finished off the night by clamping in a trackbed bracing

I decided today to make a start on the pointwork, and began the first right hand point as you enter the station. This is going to be a bit of an adventure as I have not built pointwork before. I am using the C and L point kits.  By this evening I had the template stuck down, along with the sleepers and have fixed the straight stock rail in place.  So far so good and everything appears straight.  As well as the instructions found a useful picture guide on building these point kits from a back copy of the Gauge O Guild Gazette. Will try and get pictures as the work progresses.  There may be cries for help along the way!

Edited by Shez
  • Agree 1

i would suggest doing the frog first but since thats done, do it next before the other stock rail.

not much could be done last night as the table was already occupied when i got there so using the work mate, the next trackbed support was cut and glued in

Edited by sir douglas

Mark has given the first board a coat of primer, grey would have been better but he says only white was available when he went to get it, it doesnt really matter what colour the primer is

1920866462_eyemouth(19).JPG.b30213b16644e4b1f7057540808283c1.JPG

second board done and ready to paint after some glue dries

1161257464_eyemouth(20).JPG.5d95f004195cf9a6350f470a830ed32e.JPG

third board continues with another support glued in. On this and the second board, extra block have been added on the face to fix the river down to

745647279_eyemouth(21).JPG.674197485d430582df5daa7f65d34a6a.JPG

A start has been on the fourth board

1018613377_eyemouth(22).JPG.ff255a8ef5f1bf30e667a46f9b255002.JPG

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm onto the 5th board now, attaching the bits of wood to the last of the stretchers. A start has been made on a scratchbuilt Jubilee wagon to run on the layout. Mark Continues with priming the boards in turn as i finish and ready them to paint. Last night Mark brought down to the club the 1st of the 5 C&L point kits nearly finished, what surprised me was the realistic looking tie bars and 2 of them as it should be. With Steve (enginelane) i'm trying to get the station building laser cut as he is already using an available laser cutting service in Wakefield, ive already done all the CAD work and just need to get it the file to work in the cutting machine

the base drawing from the modeller

1919092944_eyemouth1.png.aaf62ff945b9c2fe960e93594ed0e14f.png

the drawing of that translated into parts to cut

1952876498_eyemouth2.png.ac382e16989d75f93019e3f7ee365ad1.png

boards 1, 3 and 4 on their ends with board 2 on the trestles with the stretchers of board 5 infront of it

eyemouth_(23).JPG.0357e67cd8ede42b737ed189908caa3c.JPG

eyemouth_(24).JPG.bcb945825df9448140fb358e202bb52d.JPG

the 1st point sat in its approximate position with one of Mark's wagons sat on it. it still needs dropper wires and an attachment to the tiebar for the motor rod. When it comes to laying the point, it will need to be packed by 1mm up to the height of the Markway flexi

eyemouth_(25).JPG.ae51f337a70888b76dfb863819f0c42f.JPG

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Board 5 just about together after fitting the track bed on last Monday night and the diagonal bracing this morning, this evening was spent priming of board 3.

this board is different because the trackbed isnt full length, the track ends half way along the board so the bed goes to the next stretcher after that. this stretcher includes the slope from platform height to the goods yard, that end of the yard isnt as photographed, i think there is only the aerial by Ernie Brack

eyemouth_(29).JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

figuring out the end of the goods yard has had me stumped for months but now ive figured out why.

the entrance to the yard comes off the main station entrance at the platform buffers with a slope down to track level in the yard but i cant find the right photos to see exactly where the slope starts and where it ends. the 3 foot difference is a considerable height in a short distance in the yard entrance, if i make it steep it wont look right and of course makes it difficult for everything going up and down it but if i make it gentle, the bottom ends up halfway down the yard.

A few days ago when i was looking at a high res version of a postcard on ebay, which you can see the curve in a rake of wagons where it goes from gradient to level. it clicked in my head that the railway of course comes down at a gradient from Burnmouth and the tracks level out in the yard sidings so the difference between the platform and the yard at the end is much less, which is why i couldnt see it. But theres nothing i can do about that so a compromise will have to done that will look right

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

still going through the slow jobs of painting and cork laying, boards 1 and 2 are just about done with these, board 3 is half painted and half cork-laid, i stated painting it but then started cork laying, cant do both at the same time. i started painting board 4 but forgot to put the trackbed strengthening in before hand so had paint around those areas and come back to it. 2 of which wre glued in on Tuesday

cork being laid on board 3 with board 4 on the news paper to the right. in front of that are boards 1 and 5

eyemouth_(30).JPG.eff8bd4646f8095738feba51e7f8b711.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

progress continues slowly, Shez is not as available lately with family issues so its just been me and ive been carrying on with priming the boards, though we're now getting to a point which we can start track laying, cork is fully laid  on the first 2 boards and the first point is almost ready to lay. there is a small height issue between the first and second boards to sort and fit the clips between them

852495192_eyemouth(33).JPG.705ad390f166aa71a355420d23ff6c4c.JPG

888689607_eyemouth(31).JPG.e8cc522270edbc731d598dcbe5d0e50d.JPG

582515732_eyemouth(32).JPG.26e84ae264b42d7fcdcbec9fca48886f.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Track now laid on the First board and preparing the first built point to put down on the second, ive used wilko contact adhesive (orange tube) and 2 brass screws per rail end for strength, the 4ft is made up of a ful 3ft length with a 1ft sodlered on, the rail ends have angles cut into them which gives a bigger join surface and when its cleaned up will be stronger and hopefully slightly harder to see after painting

Untitled.png.5bf0fad6dfc05f677c541a0bb8cc69e8.png

1492374437_eyemouth(34).JPG.e972d1d092e83eb7e4d1bc975ab1e656.JPG

1522384249_eyemouth(35).JPG.9e0f395c22c064aaca7550083acf7ab1.JPG

point just needs a brass lug soldered to the tiebar with a hole in it for the motor wire

1045662750_eyemouth(36).JPG.9e8a331da4e184e0eac936bbd2571616.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

The first point was laid and then had to be taken up to pack under because of a height difference other than that the tiebar closer to the frog out of the two has a D shape of brass soldered to it hidden under the far rail with a hole in it for the point motor rod with the slot in the board cut as well. track and dropper wires are all done on the second board. Track laying has started on the third board today on the platform road. When i drilled out the holes in the end of the board for the pattern makers dowels, i made them a bit too deep so i made styrene packing washers to go in behind them, the join between the first and second boards sagged a bit because the dowels werent located properly, now the washers are in the dowels do their job and the rails line up perfectly. the other 4 points are currently accounted for, Mark has said he will start the second soon, a club member has voluntered to do the third and another member for the fourth and fifth. all the white priming of boards is now done. ive done some work today as re organising of the club room will be done on friday, Stanley will be photographed on sunday for the modeller and our club open day the following sunday so it saves time and effort moving everything around now rather than move it twice.

Got down to the club for the first time in some time on Friday, as some serious family health issues are still meaning my model making activities are seriously curtailed.

Sam in the meantime has done a great job.

However the second point is almost complete I only have to add the tie bars.

A little work on locos and stock has been possible  with the chassis for the Class D being painted and the body nearing completion. I have not chronicled this build as its almost identical to my previous one on the Shez's workbench site. The all third coach is in the paintshop ready to join the first and brake third.

• Agree 1

cork laying is nearly done on the third board, once the second point is finished and ready and laid, the second board can be taken down and the fourth put up to start cork laying.

i will be working on the layout this sunday during the open day or just being there anyway with some of my own locos and stock (irrelevent to the layout) and will try to croc clip up some power to run something on the second board

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/146030-wakefield-rms-open-day-18th-august/